“This is Austin!”

and up
Austin Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #14 of 329 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Trendy Austin area south of Congress Avenue.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There are dozens of street vendors selling everything from Indian cuisine to used boots and handmade jewelry. The restaurants are a little pricey, but everywhere I've been has fantastic food. The crowd is incredibly diverse: old hippies, young hipsters, homeless, college students, families and everything in between. They have very spunky candy shops, killer antiques, resale clothing, Mexican imports, and high end designer boutiques. Great place to spend an afternoon.

1  Thank McL_Jen

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've tried to go here more often, since the shops are delightful and the restaurants and food trailers that line South Congress are great, but it's just so much of a hassle it's often not worth it; we've actually tried to go sometimes and turned around and went somewhere else because it was so packed. But if you can go during an off time (although I'm not sure there is one) it's a nice area to do some good shopping and get some good food.

2  Thank AandMRay
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is definitely a street/neighborhood for the young. It's kitschy with lots of fun restaurants, stores, unique items. reminded me a little of beatnik times. Be sure and stop by one of the food trailers that serve local food specialties. My favorite, not so local, called Hat and Thai. It's worth a walk through but not too many places a senior citizen would actually stop and see.

3  Thank happytraveller07430
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I love to go on Saturday mornings for a stroll, look at the many shops. After I work up an appetite I pick one of the many food trailer and have lunch and finally make a few purchases from vendors who "sell locally grown or made products" and head on home. Many times I come back later on to many of the venues for some great music and refreshments. I love Austin

2  Thank Austiniter M
Reviewed January 10, 2013

we had lunch at Gueros and walked a bit.
it was a saturday afternoon and it was packed. lots of boutiques and places to eat.

1  Thank neto_saavedra