“Clean Room, Comfortable Bed, Low Price; Exactly What I Needed”

Heart of Texas Motel
Ranked #181 of 203 Hotels in Austin
South Central Texas
“Clean Room, Comfortable Bed, Low Price; Exactly What I Needed”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

I was in Austin coaching in an 18-under baseball tournament and needed an inexpensive place to stay on a Saturday night that was close to Westlake HS and St. Edward's U. I didn't need much: just a clean room with a shower, a bed, a refrigerator, and an air conditioner, for just one night, for a low price (on a weekend!), but in a reasonably good section of town. The Heart of Texas Motel met all of my criteria and then some. The motel looks exactly like what it is: an older motel that has been spruced up. I was a bit surprised to find that the motel's sign looked half broken, but the motel owners seem to have spent their money fixing up the most important part - the interior of the rooms. My room was clean, spacious, and cool. After coaching back to back games in 100+ degree heat, it felt great to plop down in an actual recliner (a nice touch), turn the air conditioner on higher, and drink a cold Gatorade. Then I went out to eat, returned to the motel, and took a shower. A nice touch is that there were two sinks, one inside the bathroom area, and a second outside. The only thing that I can find to complain about is that the wireless internet signal was too weak in my room for any sort of useful connection (I was near the hwy end of the motel). I could only get a connection if I moved away from the desk and toward the front window. But I didn't mind, since I was too tired to stay up anyway, and I had to be at the baseball field by 9AM the next day. I had a nice night of rest, since the mattress was comfortably firm (not overly "hard", but not soft either -- just right!). I woke up refreshed and ready to brave the Texas summer heat on the baseball field again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Denton TX
Reviewed October 29, 2007

This is the worst motel I have ever been to. When we walked in the room we were greeted with a horrible smell and huge stains on the carpet. In the bathroom their were tiny roaches crawling out of the sink and roaches in the shower. We refused to stay there. Never stay at this motel! The Heart of Texas motel is disgusting and a health hazard.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — many roaches in the room
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mandles17

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

California
Reviewed September 27, 2007

Besides the internet connection in the room, the place was a bit depressing. There were really no conveniences there and even though I had paid for a week, I left after 2 days. I did get a good recommendation for an Indian restaurant in town from the front desk...

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Dingy old buildings
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tsarkoye
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2006

This is a VERY basic motel. There is nothing fancy about it. It is clean, with comfortable beds and plenty of towels. If you are looking for fancy this is not it, but it is clean and in a safe area.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank AustinOriginal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Southwest at Mopac
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Austin - Sunset Valley
Residence Inn Austin Southwest
Extended Stay America - Austin - Southwest
Candlewood Suites - Austin South
La Quinta Inn Austin South / IH35

Been to Heart of Texas Motel? Share your experiences!