Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Yuck!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Heart of Texas Motel

Heart of Texas Motel
Ranked #183 of 198 Hotels in Austin
Hurst, Texas
“Yuck!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights during our trip to Austin for the "Tough Mudder" and it is what you would expect from a low-budget motel. We didn't notice any roaches/bugs but the entire place looks very tired and run down. The towels had stains and the vanity counter top had a huge crack down the middle of it. The remote control to the TV did not work and the AC didn't seem to work very well. When you stood in the shower the bottom of the bath tub creaked and moved under your feet and we were afraid we were going to fall through the floor in to the room below us. The room seemed to have a strange assortment of mis-matched furniture as if it had been purchased from the local garage sales and thrift shops. The 20 year old refrigerator and microwave also looked like they had come from a garage sale. Also, the siding on the outside of the back of the building was hanging off and completely gone in some places so I'm not sure if it was storm damage or what had happened. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. The only reason we stayed here was because due to the Tough Mudder and a couple of other events that were going on in the Austin area this was the only place that still had rooms available for less than $200 a night.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank TxGirl1973

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
temple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

OMG!! ROACHES EVERYWHERE.Austin TX for a night to attend an ECIG. vap meet and we couldn't find anything quickly so my sis N law said they had stayed there and it was OK. Well that was 8Yrs. ago I didn't realize that. So we showed up spent $70.00 went to the room, smelled NASTY!! dirty walls, chairs, bathroom. well pretty much the building needs to be burnt down. The light bulbs were burnt out, no batteries in remote controller for the tv. Couldn't' get internet to work, the shower head needed Teflon and was spraying everywhere but down. No good locks on doors. Oh yes the pillows were quality I tore apart and made into dog beds when my Rottie was alive. My husband and I would not sleep under the covers in fear of bedbugs so we sleep on top of the bed and used the other comforter for a cover. The only thing that got me through the night was my sleeping pill and wine . The towels were pretty much rags, My dog drying towels are better than the towels we were offered. Geez motel 6 is not the best but compared to H.O.TX. Motel I would give Motel 6 an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale. I have stayed in many Motel 6's and at least there aren't big [--] roaches in every room. We sleep with the bathroom light on just so the roaches would not come out of the wood work. And to think the health Dept. does not close them down.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank karencowboymojo

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We actually stayed for two weeks and if all you want is a place to sleep at low cost this place will do. At least when we stayed it was okay. Quiet but run down and needed a remodel. The room was clean but dated, the internet worked as did the fridge and microwave. It was a typical low rent motel but adequate and we will probably be staying here again in the near future.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We stayed here a few years ago and it was very nice. Now it is a pit. No maintenance has been done for years. The microwave barely worked, no hairdryer in the room, the freezer section of the refrigerator needed defrosting, dust was thick in several areas in the room, and the bathroom was barely functional. Don't believe the comments on the hotel's website. I would never go back. The room rate was inexpensive but I feel ripped off by paying that much for a dive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Traveler51697
Houston, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

You pay for the room before you see it. There is a reason for this...you would never stay if you saw it. Large stains on the floor and bed spreads. Old mildewed shower and bathroom. No chain lock on door. Beds from the 1950's. A prime example of a flea bag motel. I can't say enough bad about this place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank retiredguy36
abilene
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

The room smelled bad,construction was going on,left after one night

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank wttktt
South Central Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I was in Austin coaching in an 18-under baseball tournament and needed an inexpensive place to stay on a Saturday night that was close to Westlake HS and St. Edward's U. I didn't need much: just a clean room with a shower, a bed, a refrigerator, and an air conditioner, for just one night, for a low price (on a weekend!), but in a reasonably good section of town. The Heart of Texas Motel met all of my criteria and then some. The motel looks exactly like what it is: an older motel that has been spruced up. I was a bit surprised to find that the motel's sign looked half broken, but the motel owners seem to have spent their money fixing up the most important part - the interior of the rooms. My room was clean, spacious, and cool. After coaching back to back games in 100+ degree heat, it felt great to plop down in an actual recliner (a nice touch), turn the air conditioner on higher, and drink a cold Gatorade. Then I went out to eat, returned to the motel, and took a shower. A nice touch is that there were two sinks, one inside the bathroom area, and a second outside. The only thing that I can find to complain about is that the wireless internet signal was too weak in my room for any sort of useful connection (I was near the hwy end of the motel). I could only get a connection if I moved away from the desk and toward the front window. But I didn't mind, since I was too tired to stay up anyway, and I had to be at the baseball field by 9AM the next day. I had a nice night of rest, since the mattress was comfortably firm (not overly "hard", but not soft either -- just right!). I woke up refreshed and ready to brave the Texas summer heat on the baseball field again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo