“Austins's hidden jewel, not only for Alternative folks”
Review of Lost Parrot Cabins

and 1 more site!
Lost Parrot Cabins
Ranked #16 of 35 Austin B&B and Inns
Cologne
“Austins's hidden jewel, not only for Alternative folks”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Rockabillys, Greasers, Alternative folks - this is your place! The List Parrot Cabins is one unique resort, not comparable to any other in Austin.

These good folks love South American art and offer a variety of cool, colorful cabins, each filled with fantastic memorabilia from Dia De Los Muertos, Lucha Libre or Frida Khalo. And most of the stuff is available for purchase! Even more, if you check out the Airstream wagon at the office, packed with goodies at reasonable prices.

The cabins are equipped with Futon beds, what's not everybody's gusto. To me they work fine, although my cabin provided just a queen bed for two. We had cabin C with a basic kitchen, big freezer and sweet bathroom. I highly appreciate that all towels were as colorful as the rest of the cabin and no plain whites. Perfectly equipped with everything you need for a stay. You'll get new towels etc. at the office, if needed. And yes, no room service. This means no annoying knocking at the door at 9 in the morning. Sleep long, spend the day on your own veranda or at the small pool era, the amazing garden. Or have a chat with the nice manager, while he works on his vintage Ford Falcon. If you like, check out the bar area and have a couple of drinks with other guests, sit in the Hot Tub, surrounded by an army of celebrity rubber ducks. Every day you will find something new here. The cabins surely give a good picture for your next Facebook photos. As they stand alone, you won't have any neighbours bothering you too - it was surprisingly quiet anyway. If you are allergic against cat hair, tuff luck. Here's a bunch of gorgeous kitties living. I loved to stay here and can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flaming H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Houston
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I thought that this would be a fun place to stay while in Austin for a weekend on the lake. We visit Austin al the time and wanted to try something different. The cabin is a single room-queen bed with a futon-not what I needed for 4 people but that was going to have to do. The owner was pretty hard to locate if we had a problem or a question so we just made it work. The big problem was the cats. Now, the owner, Cliff, was quite defensive that there were no animals ever ever ever in the cabins. Ok-I believe that, but I found cat hair on our blankets. And my husband is SEVERELY allergic to cats and could barely set foot in the cabin without sneezing his head off - he actually had to go to a clinic on Saturday to get a shot, his allergies were so bad. We explored the idea of moving to a local hotel just so he could breathe. We asked to have the linens changed and they did, with some grumbling that there were never cats in the cabins. Again - not arguing with you but I found cat hair and my husband was miserable. Well, we were checking out and I looked around to find the owner to give him the key - didn't find HIM but I found the source of the problem. The office is a big room in the front of the property, lined with shelves full of linens - and cats!!!!!!! There are numerous cats on the property and apparently all over the office.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank mumziepooh
Dallas
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This review spans 2 different stays, September 2011 and 2012. My brother discovered the Lost Parrot Cabins during the Bastrop fires of September, 2011. He and his significant other stayed there for a couple of weeks until he was able to return to his home. (Thankfully his home was spared.)

It just so happened we wanted to throw our baby sister a 50th surprise birthday party so we thought why not just have the family meet up and stay where our brother was staying at the Lost Parrot!

First let me say that I love colorful, eclectic style so this place was love at first sight for me. Each cabin has a large, covered back patio/deck that looks off into a forest of trees giving the impression of seclusion. The cabins are spotlessly clean and all decorated with great care--full of Mexican art work, South American colors, tile and rugs.

Cliff turned the patio/bar over to our family for the surprise birthday party and we had a blast. A fridge, big screen, tables/chairs and stereo system worked out perfectly. We brought the food, wine, beer and birthday cake. We even had some entertainment later in the evening! In fact, it worked out so well we had our 2nd Annual Lost Parrot Party this past September 2012 and we hope to continue the tradition as it has turned into a bit of a "family reunion" and our family is big on the Party!

There is a really cool pool down the hill from the patio/bar area and a local band will show up on some Saturday nights. There are grills around most of the cabins and the pool area as well as several areas on the property with tables and chairs to just sit around and chill. Many interesting Mexican pieces of art scattered around the property make for a funky getaway right in the city.

Cliff and Cat are the proprietors. They are both laid back—sort of your sixties’ hippie-- and are very nice and accommodating. They work very hard to keep the place clean, neat and unique. Cliff got out his guitars and he and my brother joined up for a late night jam which was a nice way to cap off the evening.

The prices of the cabins are high--that will be the only downside to continuing our tradition of the family meeting up there each year. Other than that, it's truly a great little place for family reunions, girlfriend getaways, or just a romantic weekend to hang out in the cabin and sit out on the back deck enjoying the seclusion.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Catherine O
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This place was a complete surprise, I had no idea such a relaxing and eclectic get-away was less than 30 minutes away from my house. The entire place is draped in a melange of color and South American art with a great open bar/sitting area and deck with pool. There are some nice trails you can take to explore the hill country but don't expect much of a work-out, they are pretty short and take very little work to traverse. We stayed in the "Mexican Wind" bungalow and it was nicely appointed with everything we needed: private porch with hammock, comfy bed, plenty of towels, full kitchen, and a gas grill. I would suggest you bring your own knives if you are going to be doing a lot of cooking...and some highball/lowball glasses if you are doing cocktails. But that is a minor thing, we got along just fine with what was there. I'm looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Unfortunately I had to cancellation my reservation. The "manager" Cliff was horrible on the phone. He tried to overcharge the cancellation fee, $45 on the website, he said it was $55 on the phone. He hunt up on me and was beyond rude!!! His behavior would never make me want to come back to this place ever again. I've tried calling to get my refund and now they won't answer my calls. I've sent emails and they have not been returned.

This place has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. Do not spend your money here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Renae L
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were thrilled to find that the Lost Parrot was exactly what the website led us to believe it was, a quiet, South of the Border flavored bit of tropical goodness tucked away in Texas Hill Country. The cabins are so uniquely decorated that it's hard to know what to look at first. Owner Cliff and his main man cater to whatever you ask for and are very sweet. For us, Lost Parrot was our destination. We NEEDED to get away and the peace, quiet and privacy offered by the bungalows with treetop decks was perfection. Even the cat liked it. Maybe next time we'll go sightseeing...maybe!

Room Tip: It is rustic, you areVery close to nature so if that isn't your thing, you may not enjoy it as m...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Keller, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We chose to spend our Mother/Daughter get-away weekend at Lost Parrot and this was our first time here. Wow! A secluded little Caribeann-style community of 7 bungalows, each one designed with its own theme and decor. Ours was the "Mermaids in the Night" bungalow and we were even more impressed once we actually got to see it! The details and accent pieces in the cabin were unbelievable! Very eclectic and we LOVED it! It's very obvious a lot of time and effort has been spent to ensure your stay is a one-of-a-kind adventure in every way. The pool area was pristine clean and the waterfall feature is very relaxing. Great views from all cabins! Their website doesn't do this place the justice it deserves!! Fabulous gift ideas and pieces of art all around the property - very cool souvenier pieces. You'll find the entire area immaculately clean, extremely quiet and private, but what impressed me the most was the personal, individual attention from Cliff, the owner. Above and beyond the most gracious host and took care of our every need. I highly recommend Lost Parrot to anyone wanting to get away from the boring routine hotel stays -- we now plan to make this an annual get-away trip.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mermaids in the Night" bungalow -- GREAT view! Next time we'll probably c...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JudyCooperHicks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
The Driskill
The Driskill
#27 of 202 in Austin
Casa del Sol Bed and Breakfast at Lake Travis

Been to Lost Parrot Cabins? Share your experiences!