“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston
“Great hotel”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

The Hilton Austin is a great hotel, it is typically not cheap but you get a great experience. The rooms are clean, service is good and they have a great bar and lobby area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2010

This is a large, rather impersonal hotel in a decent location [close to 6th street]. We stayed on the executive floor hoping for more peace and quiet, but it's hard to get away from all the partying at night. The food was only so-so, and it really peeved me that you have to pay to use the fitness center. Given the price and experience, we'll stay elsewhere next time.

Sutton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 29, 2010

Just returned from a 5 night business stay at the Downtown HIlton for an industry conference. I've been to ton of these things all over the country and no matter how good they are, there's always some little thing that nags at me during my stay: inconvenient elevator location, lousy restaurants, mediocre room, bad location etc. Not this time: the Hilton Downtown really nailed every aspect of my visit and the conference, from early check in to late check out, from terrific breakfast options to an incredibly restful night's sleep.

Rooms are generously sized (it is Texas after all) and the bed is flat-out fantastic. Everything was spotless and service, when needed, was top notch. My only complaint: no free wi-fi in the rooms. It'll cost you $13.95 a day for that luxury. It's a pet peeve of mine, but everything else was so outstanding that I'm willing to overlook that. On the bright side, there is free wi-fi in the lobby area and a LOT of places to hang out with your laptop and get some work (or surfing) done.

The location of this hotel is perfect for heading out to the 6th street scene in the evening. It's all within walking distance and there are several good restaurants (Iron Cactus was a favorite) and a ton of clubs with live music.

I definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights as a reward stay in exchange for 140,000 HHonors points. We had a large, 2 queen bed room on the 23rd floor (this is a big hotel) and my Gold status got us free entry into the spa/pool. I talked my way into Executive Lounge access on check-in, but note that this is usually reserved for Platinum members.

The executive lounge has a cold breakfast buffet, fairly naff evening nibbles and soft drinks only. There is also one PC with free internet access. You can also pick up free wifi from the integrated coffee shop "Java Jive" in the lobby. Parking is $17 for 24 hours (ouch) but you can park in the Austin Convention Centre lot right next door for $7 a day with 3 re-entries (although it's technically no overnight stays). If you're staying over a weekend, it's worth knowing that parking on street is free all day Saturday and Sunday, and before 08:30 and after 17:30. T

he pool/spa was pretty good, but there are separate gender specific sauna/steam rooms (not sure if this is a US thing?) so you won't be able to sweat it with your loved one.

Location wise, the hotel is good as it's within a few blocks of all the bars and night-life on 6th Street, but yet not so close as to be noisy. If you're a runner, you can do a nice loop South from the hotel until you hit the river, and then along the river until you get bored.

For HHonors members, I found that the on property rewards are tiered at this hotel, and geared towards Platinum - sure you get some goodies for being Gold, but the Hilton treatment I'm used to (space available upgrade, free breakfast etc) seemed to be reserved for Platinum members.

1 Thank travelling_timdp
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed at this location for one night while visiting Austin. We wanted to be near the nightlife and entertainment so chose this location. .

The location was easy to find and the hotel in a commercial area next to the convention center and a 5-10 minute walk to all the action of 4/5/6th street & Congress. You have the choice of valet or self parking. Self parking is in a connected garage with easy elevator access. ($18/day in and out) The only negative I have to say about this hotel is that their Hhonors check in is a joke, they do not follow the pre check in procedure, and they are very disorganized mismanaged and uninformed at the front desk. (At least the day we got there.) Asked for the manager to call us but we never received the courtesy call. There is a nicely decorated, large and inviting lobby with a large front desk and nicely appointed common area. There is free Wifi available in the lobby area. In room Wifi is for a fee.

The hotel has a nicely appointed gym, for which I believe there is an additional charge. (It was comped for us as HHonors Diamond Members.) They also have a full service spa. There is nice outdoor pool, hot tub, and and sunning area on the 8th floor overlooking downtown. They have business center with several computers, but I believe there is an additional charge. There is also a UPS Store in the lobby, and annoyingly the hotel contracts them to receive any packages for which there is a $5 per package fee.

The rooms are nicely decorated, relatively large and still seem new. The beds are typical Hilton (nice beds) and they have nice HD TV's and plenty of channels. The climate control works well and it seems the blower motor stays on for white noise while the climate control is still functioning. Bathrooms are well equipped with plenty of storage space. There is a tub with shower…if that is important to you. We did not experience city noise inside the hotel, but we were on the 25th floor. (25th and 26th are the Executive Lounge levels) The room was quiet for the most part, though I could hear doors slamming in the morning from time to time. Even though they put us near the elevator and ice machine there was no noise associated with either as they were well divided from the room area.

As for the executive lounge, (if you are on one of those floors) there was an evening reception with veggies, chips, and cheese. They always had bottled water, juice, soda, tea, coffee, etc available any time we went to the lounge. (I believe hours are 6a - 10p) In the late evening they have a small desert selection. The breakfast has nice pastries, cereal, drinks (as per above), hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, and whole fruit. There was always plenty of seating in the executive lounge. As a note they do charge for liquor.....and they do not offer free internet in the lounge, which I find odd, though the hostess did let us use her computer to do a hotel check in.

The area has every type of dining and entertainment option you could ask for all within easy walking distance. We did not partake of any of the hotels dining venues.....too many good choices nearby to eat in a hotel.

I would absolutely recommend this location and would stay here again if we wanted to stay in the area for a personal trip. Room rate seemed a bit high, but we were on a reward stay. Had we been on a paid stay we would have looked at either this Hilton or the Intercontinental, both very nice options and similar in their offerings and the prices seem to vary wildly from day to day. They were agreeable to late check out when we asked which was nice. Our room was non smoking, but they still offer smoking rooms, which I think is odd in a new hotel like this....

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Nice hotel, very polite and efficient staff. Room and location of hotel both good. There was, however, no place to buy needed articles. I forgot my toothbrush and was directed to the coffee shop that had a tiny selection of toiletries. No toothbrushes, though. Reception gave me a disposable. There were no convenience stores in the area at all so don't forget anything. Also, no vending machines at the hotel at all. I really missed relaxing with a soda. When I inquired, I was told that they removed them all. I hated not having that available to me. Self parking was expensive buy very convenient and worth it. The traffic was much worse than I imagined in Austin.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Enjoyed the location. Very close to excellent restaurants and nightlife. Great food at hotel as well. Great service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business