“The staff and location makes this hotel top notch”
Review of Hilton Austin

Hilton Austin
Ranked #27 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 4, 2006

I spent my anniversary weekend here at the Hilton in Austin. Usually I can come up with some negatives while staying at a hotel. This time I can’t. This hotel is wonderful. We have an exact duplicate of this hotel in Downtown Houston, but what makes the difference here at the Austin location is the staff. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and feel as a guest and not a bother in a very busy hotel dominated by mostly business clients. An example of the service was, I had ordered flowers to be delivered to my room, from a company called, From You Flowers, the flowers never showed up , I called the hotel front desk several times and they said no flowers where delivered under my name, and then asked me who I purchased the flowers from and the hotel took it upon themselves to call this florist and find out where my order was, The front desk calls me back, says im being refunded the cost of the flowers I ordered and asked if I would like the Concierge to run to a local grocery store to buy a bouquet since it was Saturday and after 5 PM and all the florist were closed. I declined and thanked them for handling the issue with the florist. 30 mins later as we were getting ready for our anniverery dinner, a knock on the door and someone from the hotel delivers a small bouquet of flowers in a vase. I was very surprised since I declined this offer. I was not charged for the flowers. I stay at many hotels and never had one go out of their way like this, more so since they had nothing to do with the flowers I ordered with this company.
As I said the hotel is very busy and the valet area backs up and there will be a 10 min wait to have our car valet, we used the self park for 15.00 + tax The location of this hotel to dining, clubs, museums, is outstanding. We didn’t use the car once while we were there. Everything within walking distance. The room is a decent size, bathroom was large, bed bath and beyond products. They did have robes for you to use. The towels could be slightly softer however, seemed a bit rough.
The bed is comfortable but not overly like a heavenly bed at the Westin. The air conditioner is on a sensor so you have to move once in awhile at night to make it come on. They have a starbucks inside the hotel with very good deserts, if you have that midnight sweet tooth as I did, just take it on up to my room. They close at about 10 pm. On a side note we celebrated our anniversary at Roys on 340 E 2nd St about two blocks from the hotel. I can’t say enough about this restaurant, was just perfect, I don’t see how they could have possibly made it any better. The food was outstanding and they really treated us like royalty and joined us in our celebration. The manager gave us a small bottle of champagne and a fabulous desert, and brought out a digital camera and took out picture. When we finished dinner he came back with our picture in a small Roys frame for us to remember this night. Austin was wonderful and I can really recommend this Hilton location. I didn’t want to leave this hotel. If you've never been to Austin before, you won’t be sorry you picked this hotel, the location and staff is top notch.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank goldendeal
There are newer reviews for Hilton Austin

Reviewed October 29, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed four days at the downtown Hilton location for a conference. We have stayed at similarly ranked hotels with the expectation to pay for additional options, yet thoroughly enjoyed our stay; however, the service made it worth every penny. In our experience, the Hilton Austin did not meet our expectations and every additional cost was insulting because of the treatment we were given. Starting on a positive, we enjoyed the convenient location to 6th Street (one block away), the Capitol, various delicious restaurants, and a terrific barber (The Good Life left of the hotel on 5th, approximately a block - just ask the head conceirge, Steve, he went there too). However, the majority of the service was not courteous. From the front desk to the servers and bartender at the Loft Bar to housekeeping, we began to think one of the prerequisites to work there was pretentiousness. Not all the employees have an arrogance, but it was surprising to get such poor service. Another positive point is that the room was very comfortable! A coffee maker, alarm clock, and iron came with the room...anything else and you must pay. Additionally, only BASIC cable is available. In addition, a refreshment bar/mini fridge is in the room; however, if you want to take out their stuff to cool your personal drinks, you will get charged $25 (they want you to rent a mini fridge and not use the one assigned for their minibar). Other additional costs are internet service ($9.95 per day), parking ($20 per night), and workout facility ($10 per use or $15 per stay per person). If you are interested in spa treatments, they have a wide selection (again, expect the fees to be high)! Another difficulty was the elevator service. Since we were there with hundreds of other conference attendees, it took forever to get up and down the elevators (even though they had 6 available), so don't be in a rush to get to your room and back! Plan to spend a lot of money on additional charges here. However, enjoy the modern and clean facility!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank hvtrust
Reviewed October 28, 2006

my boyfriend and i stayed at the hilton this past weekend. the decor in the hotel is ok, very impersonal and on the sterile side. the room was small but we had checked in quite late because of a very delayed flight so we probably got the last pick. we were there for 2 nights and housekeeping neglected to clean our room the first night. not a big deal but surprising considering its the hilton. as we were checking out we mentioned it to the front desk. not only was the guy at the front desk unapologetic, he also told us that since we had gotten there late the first night, we had only "technically" stayed there for 1 night and should not have expected that our room be cleaned the first night. unfortunately, we were not charged for just one night and as a customer paying $180 a night I do expect my room to be cleaned no matter how late i arrive, and also be treated more courteously by front desk staff. I have stayed at other hilton hotels before and this is the first time this has happened, and probably the last time i will choose to stay at a hilton hotel because I found the physical surroundings to be so unremarkable, and the level of service such a letdown. the location is great, but there are other hotels in the area where you can get the same experience for less, or actually get what you pay for.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank urbanite55
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Beautiful hotel, great service, excellent location.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jlv225
Reviewed September 5, 2006

Normally I have stayed at the Austin Marriott at the Capital. However, I selected the Hilton for one of my trips last year. The hotel is new, very nice and clean. The rooms are spacious, food is good, amenities are nice in the room.

Comfortable beds, good service and great locations. A bit pricy when compared to others in their tier. Room rates can run as much as the Four Seasons, which is a luxury tier hotel and much nicer than the Hilton.

However, I will be staying at this property again and look forward to another great stay.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TheWoodsTxTraveler
Reviewed September 4, 2006

Me and my husband decided that we needed some time alone, ( we have a 2 1/2 year old...enough said....) so we decided we would go to Austin for one night. I did quite a bit of recearch on hotels in downtown Austin, because we wanted to be close to everything ( well, 6th street ). This hotel was a little pricy, so I decided to try to save some money by booking it through priceline name your own price. Needless to say we got it. When we arrived everyone was very friendly. We actually upgraded to exec. level for $25.00. The hotel was very close to 6th street, just a 3 minute walk or so.... I was a little disapointed about the beds, they were not what I thought they would be. They were pretty nice, just not the Westins "heavenly bed". :) Overall the trip was good... oh and the breakfast in the morning in the executive lounge is just fruit, cereal, bagels.. not hot... just so you are not disapointed... But overall it is very nice, and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AmyZimmerman
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Stayed here 6th & 7th July.

Used the hotel frequent stayers program - Hilton Honours to book as all the available rates looked toppy.

The hotel is modern well equipped and basically designed for business travellers I guess - we were on vacation from the UK.

The gym/spa was well equipped, and we were given free access as Hilton Diamond members, however, I think that 'standard' guests would have to pay day membership, which seems a bit stingy, considering it's part of the hotel, and room rates are not cheap.

The executive lounge was nice, but as seems to be the norm in most Hiltons in the US, the was no 'happy hour' or similar in the lounge - a domestic beer at $5+ a bottle seemed excessive.

The bedroom, (king deluxe/executive), was of a good standard, the pool area fine, and the hotel is only a short stroll, (3 or 4 minutes), from all the bars and restaurants on 6th street and the warehouse district.

Parking at $13 per night seemed okay for this sort of hotel in this location - cocktails in the downstairs bar were, however, were not - but I guess that as most of the guests mid-week are operating on expense accounts this is not unsurprising.

Would stay here again if a reasonable room rate could be secured.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple