“One of the Best in all of Texas”
Review of Hilton Austin

Hilton Austin
Ranked #27 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I have stayed multiple times at the downtown Austin Hilton, usually for business. This is a fantastic hotel, and never fails to deliver a top-notch experience. I would easily place this property as one of the best business hotels in the entire Lone Star State. The hotel is less than 10 years old, and is very clean and modern. It has everything - great rooms, a wonderful outdoor pool/spa with an urban, downtown view, a posh lobby, and one of the best hotel bars I have ever come across - it is always packed and inviting. The location is excellent - walk around the corner to 6th Street or across the street to the Austin Convention Center. Although I would certainly class this hotel as a "business" hotel, it also can easily be viewed as a romantic getaway spot as well. Downers? Well, it is not on Town Lake (excuse me, Lady Bird Lake), and it probably isn't as child-friendly as the Hyatt or the Embassy Suites, next to the Lake hiking trails. That's about it. This is truly a top-notch hotel. One more note - The Austin Hilton is easily one of the biggest hotels in Austin, and I have found I can get a great deal here through places like Priceline and Hotwire (name your price...) as the hotel has time frames during the year when it is not full due to its large size. Just make sure you set the parameters to get a high end, downtown hotel and, more often than not, it is this property....

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Reviewed March 5, 2010

The Hilton Austin was a wonderful hotel, with helpful, courteous staff, comfortable rooms, and perfect location. I was attending a conference for science educators at the nearby convention center, and the hotel not only provided access with no stress, but was a short walk from the lively downtown food and music district. I had an excellent time and look forward to going back again soon to explore more of one of the most interesting cities I've ever visited.

Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I travelled to this hotel for a conference and meeting. The venue is fantastic and can handle large groups with the feel of an intimate locale. It is also blocks from some of the best bars, live music, and restaurants I have seen. This is a VERY good city to hold meetings/events - my colleague went on a bus tour of the city (90 minutes) and fell in love. She told me lots of cool stuff I missed :( so I want to come back.

The rooms at the hotel were wonderfully large and CHEAP for a conference (169/ni). The hotel staff even left my towel on the hangar for the next day (THANK YOU FOR HELPING OUR PLANET). The food was excellent also - we ate at the fancy restaurant (Finn and Porters) for sushi and it was some of the most creative sushi we ever had. I ate at their Liberty Tavern and - while hotel prices prevail - found the food tasty. They are right on street level so I think they need to compete for local lunch folks.

The meeting itself was exquisite. Plenty of room, cold as usual (what do you expect), and great staff. The only thing was they took the food away RIGHT at the time the food event ended (breakfast from 8-830 did not have food at 831). There were plenty of late night folks rolling in at 830 am the next day who would have appreciated one of their delicious bfast burritos. All in all, I wil recommend this hotel to other organizations I am a member/ officer of for possiblr locations.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Room is ok, there is space yes, but for the rest, nothing special.
Furniture is of poor quality, bathroom seems made of plastic, no amenities except soap and shower gel.
Room service will insist knocking at your door 3 times in 10 minutes to make sure you wake up even if you have hung the appropriate sign on the knob outside...
Add noise from the outside, noise from the slamming doors inside, from the ringing telephone in the neighboring room....

Well, all things that you expect in a hotel at a quarter of the price of this one.

Reviewed February 19, 2010

I wanted to get away from Houston for the weekend with my dogs and do a little hiking. I was a little nervous since it was my first time staying at a hotel with the dogs. I stayed on the 24th floor, and it was actually really fun taking my dogs in the elevator - Austin is truly a dog friendly city - and the Hilton is a dog friendly hotel. All of the guests loved to see the dogs experience the elevator rides. There is a grassy area just outside of the hotel which came in very handy. The front desk was extremely laid back and friendly, and made us feel right at home. I simply left the do not disturb sign on the door if I left the dogs for breakfast or cocktails on the executive floor. You will need to bring water and food bowls for your dogs, as they are not provided, fortunately I was very well prepared.

I did leave the room for extended hours on Saturday for a few hikes with the dogs. I took the do not disturb sign off of the door, but room service never came in the room to clean or refresh the towels, shampoo or soap. So, I simply went down the hall and asked if I could take some items from her cart and she allowed me to. Again, everyone was extremely friendly.

The Executive floor rooms are huge, and the beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Beautiful atmosphere, art, open, spacious
Rooms are comfortable
Would like it if it had free wifi throughout

Reviewed February 8, 2010

Accompanied my husband, who was there on business, with my 11 and 13 yr old kiddoes. I was consistenlty impressed with the quality detail in how the hotel was designed and decorated. Everything -- from "smart" layout of garage to meeting room elevators to the outstanding balance of art and function throughout the hotel. Not one nook or cranny was overlooked; you can be awed by the grand designs but don't overlook the quality linens in the bedrooms or the artistice loamps that mirror the hallway sconces or the hammered metal trim you walk on that frames our famous Texas star on the elevator floors, or the panels/walls/finishes of nearly every room/space in the hotel.

Loved the outdoors pool, even in the wintertime (hot tub hot, swimming pool warm enough if you are swimming). Looks smallish if it's ever crowded, but beautiful -- great layout and atmosphere.

My only reservation was the surprisingly bland and uninteresting dinner served at a festive company function. The executive lounge provided standard sustenance, but outstanding service.

Ignoring the food, it was like staying in a museum quality facility overall.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family