“Dog friendly hotel”

Hilton Austin
Ranked #25 of 205 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 19, 2010

I wanted to get away from Houston for the weekend with my dogs and do a little hiking. I was a little nervous since it was my first time staying at a hotel with the dogs. I stayed on the 24th floor, and it was actually really fun taking my dogs in the elevator - Austin is truly a dog friendly city - and the Hilton is a dog friendly hotel. All of the guests loved to see the dogs experience the elevator rides. There is a grassy area just outside of the hotel which came in very handy. The front desk was extremely laid back and friendly, and made us feel right at home. I simply left the do not disturb sign on the door if I left the dogs for breakfast or cocktails on the executive floor. You will need to bring water and food bowls for your dogs, as they are not provided, fortunately I was very well prepared.

I did leave the room for extended hours on Saturday for a few hikes with the dogs. I took the do not disturb sign off of the door, but room service never came in the room to clean or refresh the towels, shampoo or soap. So, I simply went down the hall and asked if I could take some items from her cart and she allowed me to. Again, everyone was extremely friendly.

The Executive floor rooms are huge, and the beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,890)

Reviewed February 11, 2010

Beautiful atmosphere, art, open, spacious
Rooms are comfortable
Would like it if it had free wifi throughout

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Accompanied my husband, who was there on business, with my 11 and 13 yr old kiddoes. I was consistenlty impressed with the quality detail in how the hotel was designed and decorated. Everything -- from "smart" layout of garage to meeting room elevators to the outstanding balance of art and function throughout the hotel. Not one nook or cranny was overlooked; you can be awed by the grand designs but don't overlook the quality linens in the bedrooms or the artistice loamps that mirror the hallway sconces or the hammered metal trim you walk on that frames our famous Texas star on the elevator floors, or the panels/walls/finishes of nearly every room/space in the hotel.

Loved the outdoors pool, even in the wintertime (hot tub hot, swimming pool warm enough if you are swimming). Looks smallish if it's ever crowded, but beautiful -- great layout and atmosphere.

My only reservation was the surprisingly bland and uninteresting dinner served at a festive company function. The executive lounge provided standard sustenance, but outstanding service.

Ignoring the food, it was like staying in a museum quality facility overall.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Stayed on a Sat nite here after considering several other hotels in the area on short notice. I booked with the Hilton/Visa Signature 25% off promo and thought even with that discount, the room rate of $119 was a little high for this Hilton property. The location is great and is within walking distance to Austin's 5th and 6th street nightlife and warehouse district. The rooms are quite small, they are listed at 350 sqft and almost feel smaller than that. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. A little surprised the bathrooms didn't have the usual curved shower rods. I stayed on the 20th floor facing I-35 and music could be heard all night from adjacent bars a block or two away. My check-in was professional and quick, but other than that, I didn't interact with any other employees on the property. Room service is available 24 hours, however I did not order or dine on the property. Elevators were quick and I never had a wait for one.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I attended a banquest event for around 1000 people. The ballroom was very nice. The service good. However, the food was inedible. Virtually no one at my table of ten people ate much of the food. The salad was ok. The entre was awful. Working from the bottom up there were the following layers: sweetened red mystery sauce, thin-sliced mystery item (initially thought is was a slice of deli meat yet it had no flavor), flavorless fish (at first I thought it was flavorless chicken), steamed asparagus (actually was ok). Luckily there were ample rolls that were good. The dessert was ok too.

One of my table-mates commented that it was his third event at this hotel, each one had similarly poor food.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2010

The hotel was beautiful, clean, excellent features, surrounded by great restaurants, only a couple of miles from my son's apartment, close to the bridge where we saw the bats come out and a great pool and spa with a spectacular view of the city including the capital

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2010

Our New Years Eve stay at Austin Hilton Downtown was the last stay at this hotel. I made online reservations through HHonors requesting smoking room on Executive floor. upon checkin, was greeted by desk and told my requests were all taken care of. After entering room , it was obvious it was non- smoking room. I immediatrely called front desk and was told " soory sir, we do not have smoking rooms on executive floor anymore. i asked to be moved to different floor ,and was told not possible. i was then told " sorry for your inconvience, sir , would you like to check out . We are booked full""
i asked to speak to management and was told : they are busy,sir,, it is New years eve ,you know?""

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple