“Very good experience”

Hilton Austin
Ranked #27 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 6, 2009

A clean, convenient place to stay with friendly staff (except during check-in). Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Great facilities for conferences across the street from the convention center.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,864)

Reviewed October 6, 2009

I cannot say enough good things about the staff at the Hilton Austin. Every single person I met--whether at the front desk, in the parking garage, in housekeeping, or at the entrance--went out of his or her way to be helpful and accommodating. When I arrived for a meeting before check-in time and asked about early check-in, the woman at the desk told me nothing was available but inquired as to the time of my first break. She told me to return then. When I did, she not only remembered my name but had everything ready for a miraculously quick experience. And that was just the beginning of fantastic service.

Reviewed October 4, 2009

My husband and I stayed for four nights at the HIlton Austin. He attended a conference at the hotel and I was along to explore the city. If you don't mind sterile, chain hotels, then this place is OK. It offers good-sized rooms with modern bathrooms and robes. Our room had two double beds, a desk, two chairs and a flat-screen TV. The bathroom lacked a fan, though, so it was necessary to open the bathroom door after showering to get some air circulation. We were on the 23rd floor so there was a view of the surrounding area. But even at that height and with permanently closed windows, we heard music coming from noisy 6th Street, a block away, at night.

We experienced maintenance problems. Our first room had an air conditioning unit that whined and groaned, so we complained and were given another room. This second room had a broken lamp, which we reported. A man came and took it away, indicating it would be replaced with another. That never happened. And there was a Housekeeping problem. One night, a piece of used chewing gum (my husband and I don't chew gum) worked its way out of the duvet on the bed.

Guests crowded this big hotel, attending conferences on site or staying for a 3-day music festival. Thus, the elevators moved slowly, stopping at many floors, and the lobby was often exceptionally noisy. Reception seemed poorly prepared for check-in at times. For example, at 12:30 p.m. one day, I counted 35 people standing in line to register.

Access to the fitness rooms requires a fee and it can be impossible to find available equipment early in the morning. The swimming pool is free.

The hotel is easily accessed from the airport by bus (75 cents) and leaves you off a block away. Major tourist sites can be reached comfortably on foot and good restaurants are nearby.

If we returned to Austin totally on a leisure trip, we would look for a smaller hotel with character.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton in Austin during a two week tour of Texas. We went all over the state from Austin all the way out to Big Bend and back through Dallas. We stayed at several hotels this being the best. The hotel is nice and clean. The location is nice in that you are not right on 6th St but only a short walk over. We opted to stay in the Executive Level which in my opinion was not worth the extra money. Basically you are just one floor above the rest. The staff was friendly and willing to accomodate to your needs. There are plenty of hotels to chose from in Austin but I think the Hilton or Driskill would probably be your best choice. They are a little more expensive than some but the old saying, "you get what you pay for" stands out.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2009

This hotel is well situated for people traveling to Austin on corporate business, government business, university business or just in town for a holiday. Downtown businesses, the Texas state capitol, and UT are within walking distance or a very short cab ride if you can't take the heat. Of course, the hotel also sits just one block away from the heart of Austin's night life on 6th street - but far enough away to get a good night's sleep (nonetheless you would be wise to avoid rooms on the north side facing 6th street).

The property itself is high quality with clean, comfortable and good sized rooms. Nice views of Austin from the higher level rooms. I found the staff to be perfectly friendly, especially the parking staff of all things. As much as I despise paid parking the underground garage is easily accessible and has plenty of spaces. I don't know why anyone would dine in the hotel with so many restaurants literally just blocks away. Nearly everything you might want to visit in the downtown area is within one mile of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank texmln
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We checked into the Austin Hilton on Sunday afternoon. The clerk at the desk was quite snooty. After check in, we came back to the lobby to find the concierge, but nobody was on duty. The sign there said to see the valet staff. They only seemed to know of 1 nearby restaurant "Moonshine", so walked there in the 102 degree heat only to find out they were not serving on Sunday afternoons due to the morning brunch (we went back Thursday , and its a great restaurant).
We went to bed that night only to find out the "pillow top" bed we had was sinking about a foot because it was so old. Both of our backs hurt so bad we had to check out in the morning and move the the nearby Courtyard (which is a great hotel)

Reviewed August 22, 2009

I recently stayed here with my husband for a conference -- he attended seminars while I lounged at the rooftop pool :) The lobby & our room was beautiful. I loved the spa, the pool (salt water, which is much nicer to swim in than chlorine) was impeccable & a godsend in the Texas August heat.

Location was okay...easy to get to the 6th St entertainment district, slightly less easy to get to sightseeing, and a local told me it was actually in a "bad" neighborhood, although being from DC I'd call it more marginal than bad. Easy to access via the Airport Flyer bus ($.75!).

Didn't try the restuarant as our stay was short & I was more interested in other food options.

If I'd been paying for it out of my own pocket I might've been less thrilled with the cost, but still didn't seem wildly extravagant.

Really enjoyed our visit & would return!

2  Thank DCEllenH