“Mechanical breeze to beat the heat”

Austin Duck Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: A combined land/water adventure tour that takes visitors on a downtown sightseeing tour before splashing into Lake Austin.
Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

This was my third Duck tour and first to use a non-wwII landing craft. Tour guide gave a good readers digest tour of the city. Cooled off on the water.

Price was reasonable. Cold water bottled on board were a welcomed refresher in the heat.

A recommended tour for those on a compressed travel schedule

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently took the Austin Duck Adventures tour with my wife, kids and in-laws. I thought the prices were a bit high, considering it is a 75 minute experience, but everyone had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The adventure starts with a tour around some of the key Austin landmarks (6th Street, the Capitol building, the Bullock History Museum, the UT campus, etc.). The drivers all seem to be funny and witty, so it's an interactive and informative history lesson about Austin, not a dry and boring experience.

My kids were super excited about the plunge into Lake Austin and then the little cruise around the lake. The driver put on some reggae music and gave out bottles of water, which was fun and appreciated on a hot summer day. My kids were also very excited about the duck whistles they passed out to everyone on the tour, and they really enjoyed tooting at bystanders as we drove around the city.

We made reservations on-line earlier on the same day as our tour, they had three vehicles going out at our allotted time and they were all full. I'd recommend planning ahead and either booking tickets (pre-paid) or making a reservation (payment at time of tour), especially on a holiday or a weekend. You check in at the Visitor's Center on 6th street, they have bathrooms in the center which is important if you're traveling with small kids.

The vehicles are covered but open air, if there's a nice breeze going that's great but it can still get quite warm in the summer, especially when your seat is on the sunny side. I'd recommend bringing some water along with you, and a ball cap.

I would definitely recommend a duck adventure to anyone looking for a fun and quick way to get more familiar with Austin, and to enjoy a nice laugh or two.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This duck tour is fun. We got a tour of the city of Austin by land then drove up to Lake Austin and the vehicle drove into the water and we 'paddled' around on the lake about 15 minutes. It was something I had never done before and seeing the people's faces on land as we drove in was priceless. Yes, the tour was corny but this is a great way to entertain kids of all ages.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our tour guide was your typical, corny middle-age man. He was great, and the tour was fun and informative - especially while we were driving around in the city - but I just don't get the water part of the tour. There really isn't anything to see on the lake, and all the guide did was repeat shameless commercials for his favorite restaurant on the lake (he was pushing it so hard, he had to be getting a kick back) and talk about famous people that live around Austin (not even at the lake). The water part was really just a novelty and a bit of a waste of time. I would imagine that duck boat tours in places where the water is integral to the city (i.e. Boston) would be much better.

1  Thank WhiteEyebrows
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A quick almost 2 hours of fun, hilarious short stories of historic Austin and Texas. You get a 'quacker' to make noise with and lots of encouragement to use it. The 'Duck' travels through Austin with a tour guide who loves his work who tells stories, wants to know who you are and where you came from. You end up on the lake, splashing into the water and then crawl along the shore as homes and locations are shown.

If you only have a day to spend to see Austin I recommend this to get a snapshot of the city.