“Loved seeing Austin this way!”

Brava House Bed And Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I ended up here due to our friends recommendation. Our friends were spot on. Our hosts at the Historical Brave House were extremely welcoming and helpful. What a great location in Historical downtown Austin. The B&B is within walking distance to nighttime entertainment in downtown Austin. They gave us great ideas on where to go for both day and night. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and comfortable. The room was furnished with well preserved antique furniture to keep the feel of the era. Our breakfast was delicious. I loved getting away from the rush for the weekend. We will definitely come back and as our friends did.....pass it on.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 2, 2013

After spending $540 on a three night stay, you'd at least expect the trash in your room to get emptied once, the dirty dishes to be removed, and maybe the bed turned down? Not once did we get any of this service and our towels were only changed out when we called and asked for new ones because the first towels they gave us STUNK. They smelled disgusting and I don't understand how it's okay to give your guests towels with a foul odor. Simply use some bleach in the wash and that problem is solved. After other guests said the same thing months ago on tripadvisor, I thought they would fix the issue, but I don't think they care.

Another guest said they felt like they were intruders rather than guests and I second that. It was an inconvenience that we were even there and I feel they care more about profit than running a pleasant bed and breakfast--and yes, it does upset me to have to pay a $1 if I'd like to enjoy coffee in my room. After spending $540, you can't provide coffee in the rooms for your guests? Any basic hotel offers this at no charge.

Above I said we had to call to ask for new towels. That's because nobody is ever around. If you need something, forget it. They should at least put a note up about contact information or have a system where they can be somewhat available if a guest needs anything. We felt like we were staying at an abandoned house and that we were on our own.

On top of this, the room was dark and poorly maintained, the ceiling fan wobbled and made noise all night, the TV remote's batteries were dead, and the A/C is only allowed to be lowered to around 78--which is not very cool in Austin (and I normally like my house at 80 degrees in Denver). The cloth chairs on the front porch are so dirty you can't sit on them, so forget getting out of the dark room to enjoy your coffee (that you paid to brew in your room).

Breakfast is only for an hour and is mediocre at best. In fact, on the third day the bread they served us had gone bad and tasted like it was rancid. It's a very bare-bones breakfast and we were even there on the weekend when they kick it up a notch. The breakfast does not add any value and I am more impressed by breakfast at Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tonya F
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We found previous reviewers to all agree that the location, the neighborhood, the wonderful breakfasts, the great rooms, and the fabulous hostesses/owners of Brava House were reasons to stay here while visiting Austin. We completely agree! Besides all of those wonderful reasons, Robin and Mary are GREAT for providing tourist tips for the best places to go for food and local Austin flavor! They are definitely experts at being "locals" in Austin! They helped us tremendously! We highly recommend Brava House and can't wait to visit again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I booked my stay at the Brava House last minute as I was taking a work trip to Austin and wasn't able to solidify dates in advance. When all of the Marriots etc. were full; I wanted to see what my best alternatives were.

Well, The Brava House will not be an alternative for me again...it will be my FIRST choice when I come stay in Austin!

It was a $25 cab ride from the airport (I didn't rent a car) and walking distance to the well-known 6th street for all the good restaurants and bars. As a lone woman in a new city, I also felt VERY safe in this area walking by myself.

The house was very clean...and the room I stayed in was large suite! (Larger than any hotel I would've booked!). The room was furnished with beautiful antiques, and I had a lot of space to relax. Each room within the suite had a ceiling fan, which was great because it was REALLY hot in Austin!

The inn keepers were friendly but not in your face the whole time. They treated you like a roommate, and let you go about your business as you please!

Breakfast was satisfying--it wasn't a large spread by any means, but enough to do the trick and fill your belly in the morning (mostly toast, jam, butter, muffins, pancakes, and yogurt). If you want some a little more---there is a great bakery just down the street as well!

There is no fitness center nor swimming pool--but I would suggest doing a trail or walk around the city if you are looking for some excercise anyway!

Overall, I don't have even one negative thing to say about my experience at the Brava House...except I wish I could've stayed longer! :)

I will stay here again next time I come--and I suggest you do the same!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was in Austin for a wedding weekend jam packed with fun activities, however because of my calm retreat at the Brava House, I was refreshed and ready for each new activity. The breakfast was the perfect way to start my day: fresh, tasty, and home cooked! Although the place was booked up, I rarely saw any other travelers. I felt like I had this wonderful, cozy, and inspiring place all to myself. I loved every aspect of my stay! Thanks again, Robin & Mary!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed four nights at Brava House, a B&B close to 6th Street, but a bit away from the night life hubbub. That was perfect for us. Brava House sits in the midst of a quiet, charming neighborhood that’s perfect for walking and exploring.

We made ourselves at home in the Fitzgerald room, a suite that’s nicely appointed with a memory foam bed and a sofa, two chairs and a coffee table in the living room – perfect for TV watching or work (with the free Wi Fi). The antique furnishings, bed & several matching
pieces were in mint condition. They help recreate the special feeling of stepping back into the time when the house was built. Not to worry, the room also included strategically placed microwave, refrigerator & coffeemaker.

Breakfasts always had fresh fruit, yogurt, pancakes or an egg fritter. And one other breakfast feature. I’ll get to that story in a minute. ;-) Great coffee and juice.

Innkeepers Robin and Mary are a delightful resource with a wealth of suggestions about local sights, places to eat and how best to get to wherever. Seems that Robin noticed one of us had a sweet tooth. (That would be me.) The breakfast next day…homemade cinnamon rolls! I was in breakfast nirvana! That’s sure a mark of attentive, caring proprietors who go out of their way to ensure a guest’s happiness. Robin mapped out a 30-mile bike ride for Robyn, a tri-athlete, to explore the city when I was working. And it was fun to hear about their plans for a European trip, and more fun to see and hear their enthusiasm about their destination cities and how they’ll travel with an extended family group.

Plus, Mary sent us to Café Josie, just a six block walk from the house. The best dinner I’ve had in at least a decade!

There have been some reviewers who commented on the innkeepers being “gruff.” We never saw that. What we did see were friendly, knowledgeable innkeepers who respond positively if they are treated with respect not as hired help.

Brava House has two crazy cute cats, who sort of act as sentries to the back walkway. Well, not really sentries. They are there to allow us humans to pet and scratch behind their ears while they more or less ignore us, like most all cats do.

We don't know when we’ll be back in Austin…I was there on business. But when we do get back there, we’ll be sure to book with Brava House, provided Mary and Robin are the innkeepers. Brava House is a home away from home where you can fulfill your dreams of living in the past, with modern conveniences & your friends as innkeepers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rnginpa
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Situated in a tropically lush neighborhood a mere five blocks from Austin's famed 6th Street, Brava House is an ideal base from which to explore the capital city of Texas. Innkeepers Robin and Mary were gracious hosts and offered invaluable tips on restaurants, music venues, sights to see and how to get avoid traffic snarls that come with Austin's growth spurt. By the time we reluctantly departed, they had evolved from our hosts into our friends.

We stayed in the Garbo Suite, which felt just like home. Both the bedroom and the sitting room are exquisitely furnished with antique furniture, and the wide-planked hardwood floors echo back to the building's 19th century origins. For an extended visit, the sitting room proved to be our favorite - because of it, we never felt cramped in our accommodations, even when it uncharacteristically rained for two consecutive days. And there is plenty of off-street secure parking.

For us, there is no other place to stay while in Austin. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business