“Bravo Brava House!”

Ranked #3 of 36 Austin B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Bravo Brava House!”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We'll never stay in a downtown Austin Hotel again during our yearly pilgrimage to Austin.
Nothing can beat the Brava House for Historic charm in a quiet neighborhood. Relaxing, quiet and private yet easy walking or driving distance to nearby specialty stores, local cuisine and nightlife. Accomodations were perfect in the Fitzgerald Room and the owners were very accommodating, friendly and made us feel right at home.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2011

Thanks for another great stay. We stayed in the Fitzgerald suite and loved our time in Austin and at the Brava House. The location is ideal for anyone wanting to explore downtown Austin and is easily accessed by both Mopac (hwy 1) and I35. The house itself is beautiful, and we found our room, bed and sitting area very comfortable and welcoming. We would recommend the Brava House to couples who want a break from noisy hotels and would like a bit of relaxation and a personal touch. Thanks again to our hosts, we will return.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Fitzgerald Suite for a couple that wants a bit of space/sitting area
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Brava House has a wonderful location and is a charming house, but beware if you book the Casablanca or Monroe rooms as you won't be in the Victorian home, but in a new addition out back.
We were disappointed that after spending more than $400 for three nights, they charged for snack items in the room. I've been in the business and know it's good practice to greet guests with a free snack or tea and coffee. Everything in the room was priced, which seemed really stingy. If a 50 cent bag of chips is going to make or break your business, you're in trouble.
We didn't read the copious fine print on the confirmation email, so we were also disappointed to learn that even in high season weekday breakfasts were contintental - and not as good as a mediocre hotel offers. There was no cream for the coffee, only a small pitcher of gray soymilk. We asked if there was anything else, to which Robin just said, "No, sorry." Then she went back to reading her paper. The first morning there was no juice, but the second morning the orange juice was so old it was fermented. Breakfast was so skimpy we were hungry an hour later. The third day we skipped it altogether and went out, adding to the cost of the stay. Plus, who wants to eat the same exact thing every day for breakfast on vacation?
The room was beautiful and clean, but the bed was very hard and the pillows were lumpy.
People expect gracious hospitality with the B&B experience, but sadly we found that lacking at Brava House. Perhaps they are approaching B&B burnout?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mjm331
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed June 24, 2011

My daughter and I had a wonderful experience at the Brava House. The room (Garbo) was fabulous. We loved the decor! What a comfy bed after a day of walking and biking! Loved soaking in the claw-foot bathtub. Easy bike ride to all the great coffee houses and spots we wanted to visit!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very quiet and relaxing. The Fitzgerald suite was very spacious and had everything we needed. We even stayed in one night just watching movies in the living room on the flat screen TV with the DVD player provided.

The decor was antique and very nice. The bed was only a full or queen but extremely comfortable. There was another flat screen TV and a radio with music player docking station at bedside. The closet was spacious with luggage stand, iron, ironing board, and stocked mini-fridge (items in fridge are additional cost).

The bathroom had a somewhat unique shower tiled in black and white that was larger and had two separate shower heads. There was no tub.

Floors were solid wood and a little creaky but we felt it added charm to the space. Though the space was dark, there are lots of windows to let in natural light if you want.

If you want to stretch out a bit, there is a large sitting area on the front porch, as well as a deck around back. The deck has an adjacent water feature and porch swing and a very friendly cat that likes to hang out.

The proprietors seem very helpful and willing to provide additional items or information. We are only sorry we never got a chance to try the breakfast but we are late sleepers. We will definitely try to wake up early the next time we stay at Brava House.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank force10JC
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We wanted to do something special to cap off a trip to Austin and decided to look at a BnB for the first time. We're glad we chose Brava House. The location is great and within walking distance from plenty of some excellent dining options. We stayed in the Fitzgerald room and enjoyed the high ceilings, the bay windows and comfy bed. We were the only ones staying there and because of the owner being caught out of town, we had breakfast left in our room the night before which was OK with us. Actually made for a little late night snack! We enjoyed spending some time on the front porch after dinner relaxing, a great end to our stay.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Garrett M
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My stay was part business -- calling on local clients -- and part leisure -- attending a wedding held at a downtown hotel. Of my four nights there, I had a colleague join me for one night and was solo for the balance of the stay. We had the Monroe room -- really a suite, which I highly recommend if you like to spread out and have separate work and leisure area away from the spacious bedroom. Plenty of drawers/closets. (Maybe I'll come back in winter to try out the fireplace.) Wi-fi worked perfectly, and there were no interruptions of service during lengthy conference calls and presentations. There is a separate sofa bed, though we simply were bunkmates for the one night. The one-hour window for breakfast on weekdays and weekends made me take notice, but it certainly fit well with my schedule --- and the food and coffee was quite good. I also appreciated the limited variety of in-room snacks and beverage for the work time I logged inside the room, when I had munchies. I had a rental car which I appreciated even for the short commute downtown, since most destinations probably would have been a 20-25 minute walk for me in Austin heat. Easy access to running trails on Town Lake, which I took advantage of, too -- just a 5-10 minute jog away. There was no noise from adjoining rooms at all for me, though it was nearly fully booked. Our hosts were friendly, helpful and -- receptive to my comfort level -- very engaging. You can tell they cared about my experience there, and let me converse with them freely. The A/C in the two rooms worked fine set at 68 -- and did the job despite the 95 degrees outside. I love a good B&B over a hotel any day -- and this is a great go-to place for Central Austin. As a New Yorker, I thought it was a good deal for under $250/day in total costs (taxes included, weekday and weekend rate mixed).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business