“Lovely Hotel”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #30 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon adventure to SXSW. This hotel was above and beyond our expectations. We both travel frequently for business and have experienced uncountable Hampton Inns. This is not a typical Hampton Inn! The rooms are clean, extremely comfy and furnished in such a way that you feel that you're in a boutique setting, not a business traveler's chain. The location couldn't be better for hoofing around Austin and if you're attending an event at the convention center you are about a block away.

We both love this hotel and have already booked it again for SXSW 2008.

Also, the breakfasts offer a lot of variety and you can eat on a balcony overlooking the street. Every night they offer beer, wine and snacks.

I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kriswvuf

Reviewed July 22, 2007

I read through a mountain of horrendous reviews looking for a decent, centrally located Austin hotel. Maybe Austin just attracts cranks and fussbudgets, because it seemed reviews for even the "better" hotels were filled with horror stories about poor management, bugs, dingy rooms and thieves. Hampton Inn and Suites, however, seemed to have fewer bad reports--some positively glowing. I'm happy to report I found out why.

We booked a King Suite directly with the hotel. We were traveling with 2 teen-aged sons and needed the sofa bed and a rollaway. But when we got to our room, we discovered it was just a King room--no sofa! It was really a lovely, well-appointed room, but there was no way we could all stay in there.

I went back down, with printed confirmation in hand, and the desk clerk was aplogetic, but the hotel was full and the accommodation I booked was not available. She offered us a half-price discount for the room, but I expained it wasn't the price that was at issue, it was that we had one bed and 4 people in one room. She got the manager, who clicked away on the key board, and voila, she put us in a penthouse suite.

Talk about fabulous!! I felt like a celebrity. Two rooms, two bathrooms, one with a jacuzzi, wet bar, entertainment system, dining area--all beautifully appointed, good linens, tasteful elegant furnishing. And a great view to boot! All this for the same price as the King suite (and with the AARP discount, it was really a bargain) I hated to leave the hotel!

The breakfast the next morning was above and beyond anything you typically find at hotels--that is continental breakfast. Hampton offered sausages, fresh bisquits and gravy, fried eggs, all kinds of cereals, yougurt, muffins and bagels, with a multitude of things to slather on them, several kinds of juices, fresh fruit, and good coffee. We sat out on the veranda and enjoyed it all.

This hotel is in a great location--restaurants all around it, an just a few blocks from 6th Street, where all the action is.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank CloudWalker29
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Staying downtown anywhere can be expensive. The Hampton downtown in Austin not only gives you and affordable option, but does not disappoint in any aspect. My girlfriend and I stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and requested a upper floor room (not a suite) with city views. We received the top floor SW corner room with views of not only the city, but Town Lake as well. Awesome!!! The room was not huge, but was definitely adequate and very clean. Housekeeping did a good job as well. The valet parking was courteous and prompt and all the staff were extremely professional and efficient. The breakfast is a huge bonus...sit outside on the patio if the weather allows. There are better hotels with "better" service in downtown Austin, but if you need your ego stroked that badly, check into self assurance clinic somewhere!!!!! Will be back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ausericanesian
Reviewed June 25, 2007

If you want to stay downtown, this is definitely one of the better choices value-wise. It's close to several things without the higher price tag of some of the other hotels nearby.

Upon arrival we requested a rollaway since we had booked two beds (traveling with a spouse & 3 kids). The young man at the counter explained that these rooms weren't large enough to accomodate a rollaway due to the fire code, but he quickly offered to upgrade us to a king suite which accomodated us. It was a bit cramped, but we appreciated the effort.

Valet service was quick. Breakfast was bountiful. I can't imagine needing all that food because I only saw a few people the whole time we were there. Had the pool to ourselves - very nice for an Austin night!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed here for an extended Memorial Weekend (4 nites) - couldn't find fault with anything, except that the suite ( which we pd. $229 for Thurs., dropped to $149 for weekend rate) is a bit overrated/priced. Location, pool, customer service was all above par and restaurants proved to be convenient. We particularly enjoyed a dinner at PF Chang's - the restaurant was full, so we ate at the bar, where the service was just as good.

Due to rainy/cloudy weather, we were unable to see the bats over at Congress bridge, but enjoyed drinks at the TGIF at Radisson instead.

I think overall, this Hampton exceeds some of the others we have previously stayed at. Again, I feel they misrepresent the suites that are available. The room we stayed in was just slightly larger than a typical room, but met our needs.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2007

Hotel Review - Like all of the hotels downtown it's overpriced, but its does compete well on its rate. I thought overall the service was lacking (none of their vending machines worked, and the elevators were very slow), but their breakfast was tasty, their valet helpful albeit pricey, and their housekeeping staff impressive. My biggest complaint echoes a previous reviewer's complaint - their "suite" is just a slightly bigger room with a fridge, couch, and extra coffee table. It's not worth the extra money, and we were disappointed since we needed extra space for the bride and bridesmaids to get ready.

Wedding Block Review - I booked a wedding block here and frankly I can't recommend their service since we filled up 20 rooms at their hotel. When I checked if we could have our part meet in their 2nd floor space - I received frank and unhelpful rejections to my special requests. They spread all my guests throughout the hotel, then said most people don't want wedding blocks in the same area (I certainly did). It would have been nice if they had stated their presumptions when we booked with them. If you don't require extra service for your wedding block, its an ok place to stay, but don't expect them to seem impressed or particularly helpful if you book your wedding guests with them.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank locolobo
Reviewed April 29, 2007

We arrived around 5 pm on a Saturday and quickly realized there was a street party going on across the street from our window. We were worried that, based on other reviews, noise would be an issue, but it wasn't at all.
We did valet. This was billed to our room so you don't need cash up front, but it was $18.00 for a 24/hr period. I actually left something in my car that I needed. I called the front desk who transferred me to valet. They gave me the options of coming and getting the keys so I could get the item myself, having them get it and hold it at the front desk or them going to get it and bring it to the room. I asked them to bring it to my room, which they did in less than 5 minutes. The front desk service was very pleasant and friendly. They asked if there were any restaurant or sightseeing inquiries, to let them know and they would accommodate us.
The room was very clean and updated nicely. The bed wasn't the most comfortable one I've slept on, but for a hotel, it wasn't bad. They had lots of pillows, which we like, and a nice fluffy comforter.
They have a breakfast buffet that is included in the price, but we decided to sleep in and skip the breakfast. (It ends at 10 am). I felt the price was a little steep, but for the location, it was very comparable. We paid $179 for a Saturday night.

On a side note-I HIGHLY recommend Dan McKluskys 6th Street to eat at. The food was amazing, the wait staff was awesome and to top that off, you can get a $25 gift certificate for $10 at ---!

We had a great time!