“"Suite!!!!"”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #31 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Staying downtown anywhere can be expensive. The Hampton downtown in Austin not only gives you and affordable option, but does not disappoint in any aspect. My girlfriend and I stayed on a Friday and Saturday night and requested a upper floor room (not a suite) with city views. We received the top floor SW corner room with views of not only the city, but Town Lake as well. Awesome!!! The room was not huge, but was definitely adequate and very clean. Housekeeping did a good job as well. The valet parking was courteous and prompt and all the staff were extremely professional and efficient. The breakfast is a huge bonus...sit outside on the patio if the weather allows. There are better hotels with "better" service in downtown Austin, but if you need your ego stroked that badly, check into self assurance clinic somewhere!!!!! Will be back.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ausericanesian
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown

Reviewed June 25, 2007

If you want to stay downtown, this is definitely one of the better choices value-wise. It's close to several things without the higher price tag of some of the other hotels nearby.

Upon arrival we requested a rollaway since we had booked two beds (traveling with a spouse & 3 kids). The young man at the counter explained that these rooms weren't large enough to accomodate a rollaway due to the fire code, but he quickly offered to upgrade us to a king suite which accomodated us. It was a bit cramped, but we appreciated the effort.

Valet service was quick. Breakfast was bountiful. I can't imagine needing all that food because I only saw a few people the whole time we were there. Had the pool to ourselves - very nice for an Austin night!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed here for an extended Memorial Weekend (4 nites) - couldn't find fault with anything, except that the suite ( which we pd. $229 for Thurs., dropped to $149 for weekend rate) is a bit overrated/priced. Location, pool, customer service was all above par and restaurants proved to be convenient. We particularly enjoyed a dinner at PF Chang's - the restaurant was full, so we ate at the bar, where the service was just as good.

Due to rainy/cloudy weather, we were unable to see the bats over at Congress bridge, but enjoyed drinks at the TGIF at Radisson instead.

I think overall, this Hampton exceeds some of the others we have previously stayed at. Again, I feel they misrepresent the suites that are available. The room we stayed in was just slightly larger than a typical room, but met our needs.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2007

Hotel Review - Like all of the hotels downtown it's overpriced, but its does compete well on its rate. I thought overall the service was lacking (none of their vending machines worked, and the elevators were very slow), but their breakfast was tasty, their valet helpful albeit pricey, and their housekeeping staff impressive. My biggest complaint echoes a previous reviewer's complaint - their "suite" is just a slightly bigger room with a fridge, couch, and extra coffee table. It's not worth the extra money, and we were disappointed since we needed extra space for the bride and bridesmaids to get ready.

Wedding Block Review - I booked a wedding block here and frankly I can't recommend their service since we filled up 20 rooms at their hotel. When I checked if we could have our part meet in their 2nd floor space - I received frank and unhelpful rejections to my special requests. They spread all my guests throughout the hotel, then said most people don't want wedding blocks in the same area (I certainly did). It would have been nice if they had stated their presumptions when we booked with them. If you don't require extra service for your wedding block, its an ok place to stay, but don't expect them to seem impressed or particularly helpful if you book your wedding guests with them.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank locolobo
Reviewed April 29, 2007

We arrived around 5 pm on a Saturday and quickly realized there was a street party going on across the street from our window. We were worried that, based on other reviews, noise would be an issue, but it wasn't at all.
We did valet. This was billed to our room so you don't need cash up front, but it was $18.00 for a 24/hr period. I actually left something in my car that I needed. I called the front desk who transferred me to valet. They gave me the options of coming and getting the keys so I could get the item myself, having them get it and hold it at the front desk or them going to get it and bring it to the room. I asked them to bring it to my room, which they did in less than 5 minutes. The front desk service was very pleasant and friendly. They asked if there were any restaurant or sightseeing inquiries, to let them know and they would accommodate us.
The room was very clean and updated nicely. The bed wasn't the most comfortable one I've slept on, but for a hotel, it wasn't bad. They had lots of pillows, which we like, and a nice fluffy comforter.
They have a breakfast buffet that is included in the price, but we decided to sleep in and skip the breakfast. (It ends at 10 am). I felt the price was a little steep, but for the location, it was very comparable. We paid $179 for a Saturday night.

On a side note-I HIGHLY recommend Dan McKluskys 6th Street to eat at. The food was amazing, the wait staff was awesome and to top that off, you can get a $25 gift certificate for $10 at ---!

We had a great time!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank txblonde74
Reviewed April 18, 2007

We stayed 2 nights at the Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown April 13-14 and were quite pleased. The room was comfortable, with a small refrigerator and microwave (though we did not use them much). The king bed had 2 kinds of pillows (softer, firmer) and we liked the dogleg hallway to the door, which meant much less light pollution. Heavy curtains over blinds also helped with light issues (we like a dark room for sleeping). The breakfast was extensive, with hot food as well as rolls, cereals, yogurts, etc. and robust, regular and decaf coffee. The biggest drawback was the fee for parking—by valet only, for an additional $20 per day. If you are a light sleeper, you may notice noise from the street if your room is on that side. Earplugs help. Overall, we would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeTravel2Learn
Reviewed March 25, 2007

A client recommended the downtown Austin Hampton to me for a recent business trip. I was doubtful, expecting a generic chain hotel but it turned out to be great. The hotel itself is older in architectural style and decor but seems to fit in with the kick back Austin attitude. The staff were awesome, and helped me choose restaurants and find my way around town. The hotel is ideally located about halfway between the main business district and South Commerce street where there are a lot of happening restaurants, clubs and live music venues. There's a free trolley within walking distance that will take you to the SoCo district but service stops at 9pm so a cab is just a $5 trip. Skip the Tex-Mex chains where they serve beer in buckets and check out Vespaio..voted best restaurant in Austin. Best food I've had in a long time with an extensive wine list. Recommended by a friend who is a chef and you know how picky they are! PS I tried to book the hotel through the standard on line travel sites but they showed it sold out. I called direct and they were able to accomodate me for a reasonable rate of approx $200/night.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business