“Wonderful Stay GREAT Location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #25 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Tampa
“Wonderful Stay GREAT Location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

I travel 20+ times per year and try to give objective (use-able) reviews.

We almost changed hotels because of prior reviews. GLAD we didn't. Our room (15th Floor) was clean, comfortable, quiet, and serviced promptly every morning. The Carpeting in the hallway had recently been replaced, and the rest of the common areas were very well kept.
I expected the continental breakfast to be a disapointment but there were (actually) a lot of choices.

This particular weekend was a difficult time to find lodging downtown. Most hotels were completely sold out. This was the only reason I scored lower on value. ~Had to pay the price....

The location is outstanding, You are walking distance to almost everything.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Krakow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

I've spent there only one night and then moved to another hotel, this one was just disappointing. I checked in late in the evening, so I'd expect the room to be prepared, but the towels were dirty! Not grayish, like washed in wrong detergent - dirty, with some colored stains. Internet access - wifi only in the restaurant and lobby, otherwise hardwire. I didn't expect this, but I don't like to use my computer in the bed or other random places, so would be pretty ok if not one detail - no cable in the room! Come on, I've unpacked mine before the travel because I don't like to carry lots of useless stuff and there is always either wifi or wire available.
Breakfast was nice, but I can't understand one thing - everything was packed in tiny, individual containers - sugar, sauces, butter, marmalades, tea, everything! One person, one breakfast and a mountain of garbage on your plate afterwards... The vary same hotel asks you to reuse your towels because they "care for natural environment". What a hipocrisy! And, speaking of plates: all plates, bowls and cups were made of polystyrene. Even more garbage, and you feel more like you were on a picnic than in an expensive hotel. :-/

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Arehiril
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

Pretty pricey for what you get. Average hotel - rooms looks a bit "tired”, not to clean and fresh - we found a note from some pervious customers, dated four weeks back....
Compared to lot of other hotels the rooms are smaller.
Valet parking. Central location.
We did not try the manager reception, the breakfast was not thing more than average.
Think average is the world to describe it, definitely not a place to remember. Next time we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Ducati40
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

I stayed here to attend a conference. The conference hotel (Hilton) was three blocks away but the Hampton was much cheaper. The rooms were nice and clean and the staff was very professional and friendly.
Hampton Inns typically have a pretty decent free breakfast. They now have a "Manager's reception" from Monday - Thursday night (6-8:30pm) where beer, wine and snacks are provided.
The location was very central: one block from the convention center, four blocks from 6th street. There are many good restaurants within walking distance.
I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ArchivesMan
tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

Earlier this month (August 2009), we were "guests" at the Hampton Inn Downtown-Austin, Texas, for five nights. The purpose of our stay was for me to undergo a medical procedure at an Austin hospital. This the filthiest hotel we have ever experienced. In addition, the front desk staff were indifferent to the point of extreme rudeness.

After my shower on the first morning of our stay, I leaned over to pick up a towel and saw that almost the entire outside surface of the commode was covered in dried excrement. Obviously, the toilet had overflowed at some point in the past, and the housekeeping staff had failed to properly clean up the mess. Even though we were rushing to keep a long-standing medical appointment, we took the time to bring this disgusting state of affairs to the attention of the front desk. One of the clerks contacted the head housekeeper, and after keeping us waiting 15 minutes, the clerk informed us the mess had now been cleaned up. My wife went up to check the room and found that the commode had not been properly cleaned even though the head housekeeper claimed that it had been. My wife returned to the lobby and asked me to take a look at our room.

In the meantime, I asked one of the desk clerks to inform the general manager that I wished to speak with him. The clerk superciliously advised that the general manager was ill and not available and that the head housekeeper was the best person to deal with "our problem." When my wife informed me the mess still existed, I insisted on speaking to someone else in a managerial position. After a further ten-minute wait, a man who identified himself as the manager of marketing appeared and, after learning what had happened (or failed to happen), accompanied me to our room. The manager of marketing immediately acknowledged the seriousness of the problem in the bathroom and advised that he would take immediate steps to move us to another room. Since we were under time pressure, we agreed to move to another room rather than attempt to find room in another hotel.

I returned to the front desk to obtain keys to another room. The clerk I had spoken to previously was not at the front desk. The other clerk, who was well aware of the issues we were dealing with, advised me there were no rooms available. Fortunately, at that moment the first clerk reappeared from the back office and assigned us to another room. Both clerks were unapologetic and totally indifferent to the incredible filth we slept with the previous night.

Since I had a medical procedure to undergo and recover from over the next four days, we decided to remain at the Hampton Inn Downtown-Austin. At the end of our stay, my wife showed me the bottoms of her slippers (which had white rubber soles); they were almost coal black from filth on the rugs of our second room at this horrible hotel. The only good news is that the marketing manager approved a write-off of the room charge for our first night there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TucsonRoodles
Arthur C, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown, responded to this review, April 13, 2015
We are very sorry for the smell and issues you experienced. What you experienced was not the norm and on good faith our staff offered a comp night as we were very sorry you had such a bad experience. Again I'm very sorry and hope to see you return in the future.
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

This hotel was just ok. The location is the best thing about it - walking distance to entertainment district but still peaceful and quiet. The room was not as clean as it could be. The bathroom was dirty in places you could see but not really access (top of door frame, under the sink, pillow). Only one cup of caffeinated coffee is provided in room but they DO have a free breakfast till 10 with a coffee bar. We had issues trying to get the room cleaned even though we had taken the do not disturb sign off the door at noon. It took 2 phone calls and 2 trips to the front desk to get the staff to respond. I'm really not usually this critical with reviews, but I was truly disappointed after seeing such high ratings. Austin is a great city though and you can definitely enjoy it while staying here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
East Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

Great Location for downtown. Room was clean kinda small. Refrigerator was not working replaced quickly. Great service would stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family