“Good value for location”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin Downtown
Ranked #31 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Stuttgart, Germany
“Good value for location”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn DT location for my husband's brother's wedding. The hotel is within walking distance to the Lady Bird Trail and good restaurants ( Max's Wine Dive is across the street, the Whole Foods flagship is about a 15 minute walk away!).

Breakfast is pretty good (watch out for the business suit vultures at 7am) and they have a veranda on the same floor so you can have your breakfast outside. The construction next door served as a welcome distraction during breakfast so our very vocal one year old did not disturb anyone as we ate on the veranda.

We were on the 7th floor and it was perfectly quiet. I found the rooms to be clean and the staff very courteous. The hotel has an actual crib and not a pack and play for those parties needing a crib.

ABOUT PARKING: Seriously people, a 24 hour garage is literally right across the street for $11/day. It may not be come and go parking, but it's cheap and you can walk everywhere you need to go. Also meters are all over the street by the hotel. Why people pay the $23/day fee is beyond me.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed here one weekend for my friend's bachelorette party. The rooms were clean and spacious and the beds were comfortable. The each had their own sofa with a pull-out couch which was nice. We ended up going to dinner one night out by Lake Austin and while we were in the lobby about to call some cabs, a man from the front desk came up to us and asked if we needed a shuttle. We told him where we were going and he said no problem... Come to find out once we get to the restaurant that we owed $45. We didn't mind paying the $$ at all, we were planning on paying for cabs anyways. They just made it seem like the shuttle was a complimentary feature of some sorts and it just took us by surprise.

Since it was a bunch of girls splitting the rooms and the cost, staying here was well worth the $. However, if I were to go back to Austin I more than likely wouldn't stay here again. Embassey Suites is right down the road with new renovated rooms and their nightly rate is much lower. Again, there was really nothing wrong with the hotel at all...just personal preference and different budgets.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Downtown Austin for an overnight trip on the Fourth of July. The location is very convenient. It's in close proximity to the attractions in downtown Austin. The room was big and convenient. I wish the TV had HD channels. The front desk was friendly and courteous. I had to valet my car, which was about $27 including tax. I would consider staying here again. Note: I booked the hotel via Hotwire.

Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed two nights. Arrived earlier than expected but our room was ready so after unpacking we took a tour of the hotel. There is construction work next door but we were never disturbed by any noise. The hotel is very clean and well presented. There is a good choice of items on the breakfast menu and the Manager's complimentary drinks and snacks (Mon-Thur 5.00pm-6.30pm) gave us chance to unwind after a long day of sight-seeing. The pool is small but there were only a couple of people there when we swam. There are some very good restaurants nearby and being so close to 6th Street, the choice is endless. A return visit is a must.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Good value for the money. Great location--we could walk to most places and did. When we returned from our food tour --- walking in the Texas heat, we cooled off in the pool and relaxed in our comfortable room. Then out for a fun evening of food and music. This morning I was pleasantly surprised by the yummy breakfast. Those little omelets are wonderful.

• Stayed August 2012
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites on San Jacinto Aug 2-4. Sparkling new hotel, incredible service, great location and a huge room. Free breakfasts and Happy Hour.

Across the street from the Convention Center and more than a dozen great places to eat within a 1-10 minute walk.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend this Hampton Inn to others.

I will say that parking in downtown Austin is a costly venture. There is virtually no free parking anywhere. Valet is available at a cost at this hotel but it is cheaper than my friends paid at the Radisson.

I dealt with the Front Desk, Bellman, and the nice lady who cleaned my room. Incredible friendly and professional service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We booked the room through the "get this rate on one of these 4 hotels." It was a great rate, which made it a little easier to stomach the $23 parking fee. When we arrived we were told we had a room with 2 doubles b/c you can't choose your room type when using a third party site. I explained that this was a one-night get-away for my husband and me, and would really appreciate a room with a king if possible. She was kind enough to accomodate us. Unfortunately the room was on the third floor overlooking the busy street below. The hotel sat at an intersection, and all night we heard loud cars, sirens etc. The room and restroom were both small, even by hotel standards. The breakfast was nice and the set up on the second floor was well done. If we traveled to Austin again, I would consider staying here if we got the same low rate and could stay on a higher floor--if that helps with the noise.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor to avoid street noise.