“Great workout and great way to see historic parts of Austin!”

City Running Tours Austin
Ranked #3 of 45 Food & Drink in Austin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: City Running Tours allows you to explore Austin in the most unique and fun way.. By offering a variety of casual running tours at reasonable prices, we allow you to bypass the typical tourist traps (segways, buses) in favor of a tour that feature the city's hidden gem attractions in addition to it's most famous landmarks. Visit popular sights like the Capitol Building, Driskill Hotel, and Ladybird Lake on our Downtown 5k or sample some local brews on our beer-themed Texas Beer 5k. Our guides keep it fun and casual so you can take in the sites while learning about our Central Texas paradise. Sweat and sightsee with us at City Running Tours Austin!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great workout and great way to see historic parts of Austin!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

The run was not only a great workout but super fun and informative! Lee was super personable and knowledgeable about certain parts of Austin. I grew up in Austin and still learned a ton about different neighborhoods and structures. The people in our group were super friendly too! And to top off the run with some great tasting beer was a special treat! Will totally run with City Running Tours again!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Cyndy C

• Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great way to see Austin”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I've lived here for about a year and had yet to discover the town. This was a great way to do it, good run and very informative! I'll definitively recommend this to any of my friends coming to town! I learned a lot more in one morning than in one full year - you get to see all the highlights of downtown Austin without having to go and use some boring tours.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank LostFroggy
Northern California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great guide, great sights, great exercise!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I did the Historic Downtown Austin 5k with guide Lee Ackerley, and I can't say enough about the experience! My husband had his doubts, but now he wants to do a running tour anywhere we travel.

The regularly scheduled tour was full when we decided to sign up (almost a week in advance -- it's that popular!), but Lee was generous enough to schedule a separate tour just for us at the regular price. I'm sure it was barely worth his time and running energy to do the extra tour, but he seemed genuinely concerned about making sure that we got the full Austin experience in our limited time in town. He's truly proud of his city and likes showing it off to visitors.

The tour itself was perfectly suited to our intermediate running ability, and I'm sure the guides are willing to go as fast or slow as their group demands. The loop we did went south to Lady Bird Lake, up Congress to the Capitol, and back down through a couple of historic neighborhoods. Even though much of it was on city streets, we never felt unsafe or impeded by the noise and traffic. The sights included quirky, only-in-Austin things, major monuments, urban design, and architectural oddities. Lee's commentary was a good mix of historical details, funny anecdotes, and opinions only a native Texan could provide.

All in all, a cool concept and a fantastic way to see Austin -- and best of all, that exercise earns you an extra breakfast taco!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sachi-san
Austin, Texas
“A lot of fun and awesome way to see UT!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My wife and I, along w/ our 13 month old in a running stroller, went on the UT / Austin run, and not only did we get a good run in, but the tour was just awesome and informative.

Our running guide was great; she knew a ton not only about the campus but about the town and local spots around the campus too. She pointed out some really interesting facts about the university and its history; libraries; musuems; statutes; landmarks and a whole lof of other parts.

Whether you're from Austin or from out of town, definitely recommend this tour!

Visited August 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful way to see Austin!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Even though it was 101 degrees, combined with running and drinking beer, I think this was a perfect way to see downtown Austin. We were able to see all of the "highlights" without going on any boring tours or trying to navigate ourselves. My husband and I did not have a rental car so running around the city was perfect for us! We are from Colorado and consider ourselves avid runners, and we thought Lee was a great tour guide (he is very humble about his accomplishments as a runner; we read his bio on Active.com); he was relaxed and definitely added some humor to our tour. We'd take another running tour with him in a heartbeat.

Visited August 2012