“Very Austin-ish!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Greta selection of beer and delicious food. Word of advice.....take all the Obama & Michelle crap off the wall. Seeing that crap made it hard to keep the food down!

Other than that...great place!

1  Thank godsmack44

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Only in Austin will you find a combination microbrew tavern/wine bar/bottle shop/Indian restaurant. In for the F1 race at Circuit of the Americas and staying near the Austin airport, we found the Whip In and ended up eating there two nights in a row. It's on the southbound frontage road off I-35 just south of the Colorado River. The selection of tap beers has to approach 75 and is supplemented by bottled beers from all over the world. There is an eclectic selection of wines by the bottle, and by the glass pourings from the wine bar. Live music in the evening both inside and in the outdoor seating area. Food specialty is Indian cuisine (or maybe Tex-Indian), but there are also American picks.

This is about as funky as it gets. Don't miss it.

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This place has grown up fast, from a convenience store where people went to buy beer, munches, & rolling papers to a full fledged restaurant, beer bar, and wine bar. It is one of my favorite spots, but the rapid tradition has caused a few growing pains. For example, they need to add more than one bathroom now that they are serving so many people.
The place itself is so delightful; the decor is fun, pretty, and charming. When you walk in, you definitely get the feeling that this place is unique and so very Austin. The inside is most delightfully set up, and the outside is warm and welcoming, with bright red picnic tables, and sweet dogs are welcome here (on leashes, of course).
The beer selection is rather large--they have many craft and local beers on tap and in bottles at the bar, and many more that you can purchase to take home. With the tap selections, there is a slight tendency toward just too many pale ales or IPAs. I know they are popular, but I would like to see a bigger selection, especially of those on the smoother side, the ones that are easier on the palate.
Their wine selection is also good, both to drink there and to take away.

The food is something I really crave. When you find the dishes you like, you will crave them, too. The "Indianized" beef and beer chili is outrageously good, very spicy! It has local, grass-fed, no hormones beef, and it is really tender. My favorite way to have it is on a "panaani," a panini on naan, served with feta and cilantro chutney. So lovely! They also make a South Asian Frito pie with this chili, Fritos, cilantro chutney, black beans, and sour cream. I think it is their most popular dish. I also love their dal puppies, fried spicy dough balls, but made from lentil flour. Yummy. There are many vegetarian choices, too. The menu is still a bit uneven. For my tastes, the samosas have far, far too many peas in them--that is all I taste, almost. I tried the Indian-influenced chicken fried steak with ginger and other delicious flavors, but the batter was so salty that it was inedible. I have been too frightened to try it again. But try the breakfast naans--they are wonderful! They really have enough business that they need to think about either starting table service for outdoors or setting up a register out there. It makes sense. I love this place, though. Despite the few rough edges, it is great.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

On a bike tour around the lake, we took a detour to Whip In for lunch. The beer selection here is amazing, and it took us quite a while to make a selection. As well as local area beers, they also brew their own, and I really enjoyed the Brahmale and White House Honey Porter. The food was very good. We started with the Dal Puppies, then my wife had the Travis Heights panaani - a twist on a pannini made with naan bread - and I had the Channa Masala bowl.

Combine the eclectic menu, beer tap selection, huge range of bottled beers and wines, and a nice patio area, and you have a winner.

Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Last night wast my third time going and it did not disappoint. I think the thing I like most is that it is different. The food is listed as Indian, but that is not really accurate. It is more tex-Indian. Most of the dishes are either the standard Texas fair with an Indian twist or Indian dishes with a Texas twist.

The beer selection is insane. They have a huge selection of local and micro brew beers both on tap or in the bottle. Including several I have never seen any where else. they also have a wine bar,but I have never tried it.

The atmosphere is a party one so this is not the place to go for a quite romantic dinner for two. It is a great place to go for a good time, good food and something different.

My wife and I will go back. Actually we plan to go back in two days to try the Sunday brunch.

Been to Whip In? Share your experiences!