WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area

Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area
Ranked #101 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Matthews, North Carolina
“Above par for Fairfield Inn - very clean and fresh”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

Arrived quite late, but front desk staff had my room key waiting, making check-in very speedy (quick note for non-Texans - make sure you get off at the right exit for the highway frontage road, otherwise you'll go in circles for a little bit). The room was spacious and very clean, and most furniture looked rather new. Free Internet and free breakfast is always a plus - the Texas shaped waffle iron was a nice touch. My suite also had a microwave and mini-fridge, which would have been helpful if I were staying for more than one night. The only negative in my stay was that housekeeping had forgotten to put soap in the bathroom when cleaning the previous night. Hotel is right near a very upscale mall and several major businesses (including National Instruments) which made it very convenient. For the price, I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Very clean, free amenities like Internet
  • Disliked — Difficult to get to if unfamiliar with Texas frontage roads
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Doug H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pleasanton CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. The first day we overslept and did not leave the hotel room until after 1pm. When we left we saw a bag of towels sitting outside of our room. We didn't realize until later that that meant that housekeeping is already gone and we will not have housekeeping for that day. The second day we left at 11am, and we made sure that the "privacy please" door hanger was inside our door, but when we got back at the end of the day, we saw to our dismay another bag of towels outside our door, and the door hanger hanging on our door knob. It happens to be the same weekend that a soccer convention was going on, so we suspect that the housekeeping must have gotten behind and started cutting corners. By this time our room was smelling like trash and we had to take the trash out ourselves. We complained to the front desk and the nice lady deducted $50 from our bill. But it had already ruined our impression of this hotel. We are happy with the service and breakfast otherwise. The breakfast is good continental, consisting of bagels, English muffins, toast, heat-it-yourself bacon-and-egg sandwiches, hot oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, and some eggs and spicy sausages. Also bananas and apples, and 3 kinds of cereal, juices, milk, yogurt, coffee and tea. Everything is fresh and tasty but they don't wait a bit, if they say it ends at 10am, everything will be locked up and cleared away by 10:03 pronto. Why don't they just let people eat whatever that's left out there? I wonder if they are really going to save up those breads to serve again the next day. We requested a room away from the trains and were granted one. Did not hear the train at all. Our room was a King-bed suite, but the living and bed rooms are actually open to each other and there is no door in between, so it's not really private. Still, it was comfortable enough for the four of us and the shower was excellent. So I'm giving it 3 stars despite the horrible housekeeping.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Khim Y
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

We stayed here because a family member had reserved a discount block of rooms for a wedding. I read the other reviews first and knew about the train, but got the impression it was some kind of toy. It is a freight train. The hotel staff seems oblivious to it. It goes by about every hour during the night and blows the whistle and you can hear the rumbling. It is only about 200 feet from the hotel. The other side of the hotel is near the highway, but our relatives said that with the A/C running you could not hear the traffic. Choose the highway side. Otherwise, the staff is friendly and the hotel is clean. Breakfast was fine -cereal, waffles, yogurt.

• Liked — Convenient to the event I was attending; not too far from downtown Austin
  • Disliked — Location near rails; somewhat hard to get to from highway, but that's Texas for you
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
LEES SUMMIT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2008

This was my second stay at Fairfield Inn Northwest and it was as pleasant as the first. When I booked the room for Jan 19th the rate was $69 each night until the night of the 21st when it jumped to $127. So, I just booked the room online for the 19th and 20th. On the morning of the 21st, I asked the hotel desk if I could stay one more night at the discounted rate and they were very nice in agreeing to the extra night at $69.
I stayed in room #107. Both times I have stayed here, my room was on the first floor, west side - so I don't know anything about the trains mentioned in earlier reviews.
If you stay when the hotel is offering the discounted rate, it is a real bargain.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank 3wheeler
Marietta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2006

The Fairfield Inn NW on the Mo-Pac is well located for this author's purposes; convenient to 183 via Braker Street and restaurants. Do not miss Sushi Sake if you like sushi, see that review.

The staff is friendly and well-trained, and they recognize Marriott Elite members on return visits. The morning breakfast staff is quite good, although breakfast is really not adequate and not up to Marriott's standards.

Trains.

The rooms are nicer than most FairField Inn rooms, well-appointed and maintained. This author has never had any issues with facilities or rooms at this Fairfield Inn.

Trains.

Breakfast eggs. The eggs are powdered, the sausage and bacon are unrecognizable. Forget it and go out to eat. There are plenty of good places close, though, so no worries.

Trains.

This hotel would be much better without the train set in the backyard. The train set is very realistic and runs all night long on the east side so try and get a room on the west side - though the author has never been successful.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank terryjgardner
Venezuela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2006

This is a good hotel. I had my room paid by someone else so I don’t know how much of a good value it is. It was clean and the staff was courteous. I had a suite and it was a good size and had a big bathroom (the light above the mirror was out, though). The breakfast was good, and complementary. The lady in charge of the breakfast area did a great job at making sure that they hadn’t run out of anything. That weekend was cold in Austin so they had packets of cocoa out all day long. I told the front desk lady that my roommate needed more towels, and she immediately took them upstairs. Also, their shuttle drivers were very nice.
On the bad side, the elevator was slow and at the same temperature as outdoors (freaking cold). There was some construction outside, so the beeping of the machinery woke me up one morning. One of my classmates was complaining about a train that runs just behind the hotel.

They had the outdoors pool and hot tub open, which I thought was nice. Overall I had a good experience. Nice staff, and the fireplace in the lobby came in handy during such a cold weekend.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business