WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area

Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area
Ranked #103 of 200 Hotels in Austin
San Jose, California, USA
“MOPAC-Missouri Pacific Railroad is VERY close”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

First all-the staff on-site was very nice. The fitness facility was a joke. If the place can really hold 15 people-in the capacity of working out-then someone is living in the land of Gulliver.. If you do not like the loud noise of trains coming by -you need to get another spot to live in. The trains did not bother me at all-but I can see where the noise would be an issue.
The hotel is next to Arbor and THE DOMAIN, many shops, some food places, BJ's had a friendly staff and good food. If you are a gamer-the TV was very accessible and easier to operate than many of the Marriott's with that weird "box" they have outside the television as an access point. There is no room service-but a comparable "waiters on wheels" company they use for on-site meals. I did not use this, so I cannot comment. I saved time just going to eat at the WESTIN or BJ's, or many other spots nearby.

Room Tip: Are there any rooms that do not suffer train noise?
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John D, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear USAF9599,

Thank you for being a senior reviewer on Tripadvisor. We also greatly appreciate your business and for taking the time to review our hotel here in Austin.

As you pointed out, there is a train track that runs behind the hotel. The interesting thing to note is that there are many days and nights when there are not frequent trains running. As you also noted, many of our guests are not affected by the trains since they do not blow any signal horns since there are no crossings close to our hotel. It is impossible for us to predict or be able to communicate to our guests the schedule of when the trains do come through.

To answer your question, the rooms with odd ending numbers would be the quieter choice. Of course, those rooms are most popular so it is always best to request that side when you are making reservations.

Thanks for offering the location highlights of our area and your recommendations of the Arbor and the Domain are both awesome.

John Dallas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Metairie, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Beware that the building is located less than 150ft from a railroad track that has speeding freight trains traveling on it all day and all night. When I checked in, I didn't realize that they put me on that side of the building. Unfortunately I realized it that night when I was awakened 5 times in the middle of the night by speeding freight trains carrying coal cars. I had very little sleep and was a wreck the next day in my business meetings. When I returned to the hotel the next afternoon, I asked to be moved to a room on the other side of the building. It took them 2-hours to prepare another room for me, and I had to repack everything I unpacked the day before, but the room directly across the hallway had no railroad noise (or not enough to wake me up).

The hotel is nice otherwise. It is perhaps a bit overpriced compared to comparable places, but I guess they are charging more because the are right next to The Domain and even have a shuttle van to take you to/from there.

It's location on the Mopac service road gives easy access to Mopac, but you have to make 1 or 2 weird U-turns to get on Mopac from the hotel, and you have to take an exit on Mopac that is almost a mile away from the hotel. I missed this exit once and had to go several miles to get back to it.

I was actually going to stay here again for a trip next month (and request the quiet side of the building), but their rates went up by $40/night from what I paid 1-month ago. So forget about paying that price for this place. What a disappointment!

Room Tip: not the railroad side of the building!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HENRI A
Central IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I always pack a fan when I travel. Good thing I had one with me because there are train tracks directly behind the hotel. No whistles, but I heard every train that went by even with my fan on high. You probably shouldn't stay here if you are a light sleeper. The hotel itself is wonderful and our room was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at in Austin, Tx. The staff were very nice, efficient, and sincere. The room was spacious and one of the cleanest I have seen. The breakfast was terrific with plenty of healthful choices. Internet was easy to get and quite speedy. All things considered this was a great hotel experience. We've already made another reservation for our upcoming trip back to Austin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

The price was right, but I should have known there was a catch. Our window was 10 yards away from an active railroad line. Every 2 hours trains went by. And the air conditioner was loud. If you can sleep through the noise, it is a clean property with free full breakfast. Lots of other options in the area if you can't.

Room Tip: Away from the tracks.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
fairfieldinnaustinnw, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and giving your feedback. We strive to assure that every guest has the best possible stay. We provide a full hot breakfast, a managers night with live music/food/drinks, we have shuttle service that will take you anywhere in a five mile radius, we also provide a clean and friendly place to stay. Our location is close to everything that you need, other than the train. We are close to many companys, shopping areas and restaruants. If you would like to stay with us again, the front of the building is a little more quite.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

It is a nice new hotel, convenient to the highway, free parking, free breakfast - what you expect from a Fairfield Inn & Suites. The interior of the room is oddly not as spacious as it should be with a giant wall in the center separating the living and slipping areas.

The real problem is the noise. On one side is mopac, a busy highway, on the back side is the railroad. You choose your punishment. Of course if you are on the first floor you have the added noise of the parked cars,

Room Tip: I would chose the mopac side, as the windows are decently insulated.
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank 2opinionated_guys
fairfieldinnaustinnw, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We are in a busy area and have a lot going on around us. I apologize for any inconvenience. Please ask for the front of the building upon check in. It is quieter.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

If you have work in the North area of the city, this is a great place to stay. Very efficient and helpful staff. Although the property is locted next to the highway, its very quiet. Several eating places close by too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
fairfieldinnaustinnw, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Austin Northwest/The Domain Area, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for staying with us while you were in the Austin area. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.