“Uncomfortable bed”

Hilton Garden Inn Austin Northwest / Arboretum
Ranked #40 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I've been to Austin many times and this is the 2nd time my bf and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Arboretum. We had no plans to go downtown this time so this worked just fine for a weekend getaway. We
checked in around 11 pm, and we asked the front desk to switch the name of the reservation to my bf's so the credit for the stay would be on his Hilton number. He was an old guy who was slow to type though
we didn’t take that against him. I did think that he was a bit rude though. He couldn’t look up my bf's Hilton number by entering his name at first. Eventually he did, but all he managed to do correctly was change the reservation to his name. Everything else was incorrect,
his address and Hilton number. We got the key card and went up to the room. The key card wouldn't work. Not a big deal, so he went downstairs and the guy gave him another key card which finally worked.
Once we were settled in, he called customer service and we were right that that was a faster way to get this all straightened out rather than explaining things to the front desk guy.

The bed was so uncomfortable! I remember we complained about this the first time we stayed here. The Doubletrees and Hampton Inns have way better beds.

What I did like about this hotel is the free wireless internet and the hookup for my MP3 player on the clock radio. They did have Neutrogena toiletries which is nice, but I don’t really care too much for these things as I rarely use hotel-provided shampoo and lotion.

We cut our stay short (after only 1 night) and decided to move to a Hampton Inn for the next 2 nights.

It's fine if all you need is a clean hotel and you don't plan to stay much in the room. We're not coming back unless the rate is really cheap (we got this for $80/night with AAA discount).

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 6, 2007

We enjoyed our stay here. It was clean and well-maintained. Quiet since it wasn't along the I-35 corridor. Difficult to find since we were unfamiliar with Austin and arrived late at night and got very lost...sigh. But the hotel was like an oasis once we got there! We got a room with 2 double beds but one of the beds was too soft in my opinion and the pillows too hard. So you might want to check this if you're real particular and get things switched around to your satisfaction. The lobby is very attractive and I heard (never got a chance to see it) that the indoor, heated pool was nice. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Joe B, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Austin Northwest / Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2014

Thanks for your review. Keep in mind for your next stay at our hotel that all of our mattresses are completely adjustable to your exact firmness preference. We'll see you next time you're in Austin. Enjoy the rest of your holiday season.

Reviewed September 3, 2007

Can't think of much to complain about . . . this is a fine option for a business trip. Really close to good restaurants in the NW area (Chuy's, Rudy's).

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thanks for your kind review. Chuy's and Rudy's are great neighborhood restaurant, but you'll have to give our full service restaurant and bar a chance the next time you stay with us. I'm sure you'll be impressed. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 2, 2007

The place was way above average for a budget hotel. Nothing to complain about here. For the price, you won't beat it for cleanliness and comfort. Nice new rooms, very welcoming lobby. No breakfast, but who cares - those free breakfasts are kind of lame anyway. Go to Kerbey Lane nearby instead, an Austin classic.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank letsdoit21

We're glad to have pleasantly surprised you during your stay at our hotel. Keep in mind that we do offer breakfast, and it's a made-to-order meal from our delicious restaurant. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed May 6, 2007

I was visiting friends in the Austin area who don't live downtown so I chose this hotel for its closeness to the highways and the proximity to my friends house but it turned out to be a good choice overall.

It was very easy to get on and off the highway to get to the hotel and there were a number of malls, drug stores, pancake houses nearby which was helpful. It was very easy to drive to downtown (besides the traffic) from here and to get to the surrounding areas but this location would require a car.

The hotel itself was clean and smelled very much of chlorine due to the presence of a very nice but small pool. No one was ever in the pool but I found it to be an added bonus since Austin is so hot. The room was nothing spectacular but it was clean and had a small refrigerator.

I ate breakfast downstairs (which was extra) a few times for convenience sake but it was not particularly noteworthy and in fact not really worth whatever I paid for it (offerings included canned fruit, danishes, yogurt and eggs and bacon). There was also a little convenience store on site where you could buy ice cream snacks etc.. but again there was a drugstore and convenience store just down the street that sold similar items. But I imagine if you have kids and there is an ice cream emergency this will be very handy.

Although it is close to the highway and my room faced the street I didn't hear any street noise.

Friends had recommended I stay here and I would recommend it to others for a convenient but not downtown hotel experience.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank TallulahB

Thank you for your positive review, and we'd definitely appreciate any recommendations you might offer to your friends and family. Enjoy the rest of your holiday season, and come back to visit us soon.

Reviewed April 25, 2007

This is a good property, on par with the Garden Inn brand. Very clean, with good amenities, including free wireless internet and mp3/aux enabled radio in the room. The location is actually an exit or two Northwest of the Arboretum, and if you're not familiar with the area, it's a little tricky to get to, so make sure you have good directions. There are plenty of places to eat and shop, and there's easy access to 183. If you are looking for a place closer to the airport, downtown, the university - then I'd recommend staying elsewhere, but this is a very reasonable property, with good rates, mainly because it's a little further out of the way.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for your positive review. We'd love another opportunity to host you while you're in Austin again, so come back and see us. Thanks again. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Reviewed April 20, 2007

The location of this property and the availability of several decent places to eat nearby make this a hotel worthy of a repeat stay. Unfortunately, in the room I was assigned, the mattress on the bed nearest the phone was long overdue for replacement, while the other one was fine, as I discovered on the second night. Bed linens were unironed, and the appearance was such that at first I wondered whether they had been changed since the bed was last occupied. Other than that, the place was OK, and the chances are that I'll give them another try when I need to stay in that part of Austin. The Arboretum area has a number of similar properties, and I have stayed in several of them, but the location of this one is a bit more "traveler-friendly".

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Wizeoldowl

Thank you for your feedback. The next time you're at our hotel please remember that all of our mattresses are completely adjustable. This way you can get the exact firmness you're needing for a great night sleep. Thanks again for your review.