“A Little Disappointed!”

Ranked #85 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas, United States
“A Little Disappointed!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My family decided to take a mini vacation out of town for a New Years Eve get away! So we looked for a nice clean location in the Austin area, having a baby you want everything very clean. I am very familiar with the Austin area being a past resident, so I felt that this hotel was in a new decent location away from the downtown traffic and noise, boy was I wrong. We arrived rather late in the evening and decided to book our room for 2 nights to allow us to sleep in the next day, but I was ready to check out as soon as the sun came up in 2014. It was the worst hotel experience I have ever had, and I am from Vegas and been around some crazy things. The walls are very thin, and so is the ceiling I guess, because around 2 am the noise began that was like waking up to an earthquake. Not only was there tons of noise but then our room began to fill up with the smell of sewage, simply disgusting as I covered my 1 year olds head to try to prevent myself from having a screaming toddler at 2 am from the stink and the noise. I jumped out of bed first thing in the morning to complain and mention this issue just to get a baffled look from the front desk clerk like I was imagining things and to note that I didn't complain soon enough. Not only that but mentioned maintenance would check for any issues etc., to which we never seen. The only comfort offered was a snack from the snack area, ok no thanks how about a bucket of bleach to clean me and my family as well as a new room? I wanted to cancel our stay and leave but we couldn't at that point. We felt so dirty having a stinch come over you while you are sleeping and it was horrible, it smelled like someone in the other room was taking a big dump and the walls are sooo thin that the smell comes through. The 2nd night we heard doors slamming next to us all night at 3am. We were placed at the very end of a very empty hall. I will never stay at this location again. I feel like there could have been better planning on the hotels part for how and were they booked there guest. It needs to be deep cleaned, I saw dirt stains on the lamp shades, walls, curtains, if sewage is seeping through to cause an odor in the walls they need to be wiped down and deep cleaned. Every time we went for breakfast a lot of the items we gone, but quickly refilled. The pool was nice and warm, which was the main reason why we looked for this hotel was for an indoor pool. The business center was up front even though the printer kept jamming up, the front desk person was very helpful with getting it fixed. So far I would rather go with a Best Western or Hilton in the area rather than stay here again, I left feeling dirty and ready to get home to take a shower.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Toya B
Carla_Montemurro, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Greetings fellow traveler

THANK YOU for taking the time to share your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor and please accept our apologies that your stay was not to your expectations on this occasion. As a management team we were shocked to read your comments as this is not the feedback we typically get at all from our travelers. This would explain the ‘baffled’ look from our Front desk agent the next morning.

You are correct in that we are located in a very ‘decent’ location for those looking to escape downtown traffic and noise yet still VERY closely convenient for those travelling up and down IH 35 around Austin. In regards to the noise we want to assure you this is not something our guests typically experience however one suggestion would be that staying in such a lively city as Austin over New Year’s we would typically expect guests to get a little excited over the New Year festivities into the night which was the case on a very busy New Years for the hotel. For the benefit of other readers we do have the Front desk Operated 24/7 and although these noise disturbances are extremely rare, a quick phone call to notify the front desk allows us to respond promptly.

In regards to cleanliness of your room, this is one area we pride ourselves in as a brand standard however we will follow up with our housekeeping department regarding this. In regards to the sewage smell in your room, again the first time we have heard of anything like this but none the less we will take your comments seriously and follow up with our maintenance team.

We hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to Austin and would like to ask that whenever you are next in town to call the hotel and ask for me directly!

Kindest Regards,

Carla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
DC
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We always choose suite hotels because we travel with a special-needs individual and want the extra room. And I've always liked Marriot. Those factors, plus the rate and the breakfast buffet and the location, caused me to choose this hotel. Disappointed is about the best description I can use.

Let me start, though, with two positives. The front desk staff was extremely professional and pleasant. And the 24/7 coffee is *good* coffee. When I chose to leave after two days of my seven-day reservation, they honored the five-or-more-day rate.

The room left much to be desired, though part of my disappointment was my expectations.

The first room we were shown was "handicapped accessible". I expected grab bars and a walk-in shower with doors, but the shower was a (large) nook with a curtain, and the sink/commode in the same room. My special-needs son is mentally retarded, not physically handicapped, and I was concerned about the possibility he'd spray the whole room, or cause issues.

The second room was similar, but with a standard bath, and smaller. I could not walk around the TV table and past the bed without moving the TV table. The sofabed was a queen, with an additional piece to make it a long sofa, but almost no comfortable seating. For a room with three adults, there was a desk and a small moveable table. Good thing we had brought plugstrips.

There were two washcloths; one in the shower area and one by the sink, in a room reserved for three adults. There were two packets of coffee, two paper plates in the microwave, etc. I understand the standard, but when I check in for three adults, I expect to be asked what else I might need. There were also dust webs in most corners of the high-ceilinged room.

The breakfast buffet was the biggest disappointment. On our first morning, I went half an hour before closing to get my breakfast and to bring back plates for my spouse and son. I got breakfast, though the buffet is poorly laid out, was packed, and was full of people who didn't care about blocking everyone else (true, the hotel can't control that, but layout helps). I didn't get coffee; it was empty. So I chose juice, and sat and ate. When I went to fill the other plates 20 minutes later, there was STILL no coffee, there was no juice, the counter was covered in spills, people were using the 24/7 pot in the lobby for coffee, and *it* was now empty. On the second day, layout was better, but only because there was no wafflemaker or batter; one had a choice of cereal, eggs, oriental selections (miso soup, kimchi noodles, and rice), and bread.

Poor buffet layout included plates stacked in only one place, in the center of the buffet (in front of the kimchi noodles and miso soup), and not near the waffle maker, eggs, or breads. To prepare coffee or tea, one must block others from reaching the cups (and some people don't consider this a reason to work quickly). Flatware was not near the plates or bowls. Service was nonexistent.

Now, I admit my expectations were much higher, and that contributed to my disappointment, but the major reason for my departure was space. Unless you're comfortable working on the bed, the place is not suited for three. Had I been alone, I probably would have been fine.

Room Tip: Look at the room before deciding whether to accept it or not. The traveler in front of me also had...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Carla_Montemurro, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear KBA1625,
Thank you for taking your time to give us a 3 stars rating! We highly value our guests' feedback and we take all constructive feedback very seriously.
We are glad you enjoyed our top notch customer service. Our veteran staff delivers genuine care by going above and beyond for our family members. Our complimentary amenities add value to our guests’ stay without compromising their budget and we are proud to know we can help you saving on your out of pocket expenses.
We apologize for not being physically able to provide you with a larger area that would meet your needs.
We are looking forward to be at your service for any future needs.
Best,
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This hotel was north of downtown Austin and UT, but was easily accessible on I35. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room was very clean. We stayed in a room with a king sized bed, but it also included a sleeper sofa, work area, and a small kitchenette. The price was very reasonable. The breakfast was better than your typical free hotel breakfast. It included eggs, sausage, fresh fruit, yogurt, etc. We would definitely stay here again when visiting north Austin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear disneyland-fan2011,
Our entire staff would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to host you during your trip to Austin.
We thank you for the time to share with other travelers the quality of our recently renovated property and the cleanliness of our spacious rooms.
We are pleased to know you enjoyed the variety of hot and cold items of our complimentary full hot breakfast buffet. We are proud to offer healthy options to our guests.
The entire team was thrilled to know they were highly rated and on their behalf we thank you!
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
In the spirit of hospitality,
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Well this is my first time on this hotel and i can say it looks like 5 star one, the rooms are like new. Big and modern decoration. There is a flat big tv, desk, ref, micro and anything you will need. The location is perfect a lot of restaurants, walmart, target. The lobby looks really good, love the combination of materials and colors(im architect). I will stay again here. Glad i spent about 3 hours or more reading reviews here.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Sebastianhr77,
It was a pleasure having you as part of the family. Thank you for your feedback.
We can't wait to welcome you back!
Best Regards,
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here during Austin City Limits festival weekend. Because of that, we didn't have very many options closer to town because they were either booked or way out of our price range. This is a little ways away from the downtown area if that's where youre mainly going to be visiting. I normally don't mind driving out of the way but I must admit I quickly changed my mind when we found ourselves exhausted at 1am just wanting to hit the hay. Then this place seemed REALLY far away.
It is a fairly new property, im guessing. Its very nice, clean and modern looking. The rooms were spacious, beds were comfy, I really have no complaints. One note, we arrived around 1-2 am to check in just as their systems were undergoing overnight maintenance so we had to wait in the lobby for about 25 minutes until they came back up. Its not their fault, it was just really annoying seeing as we were all so tired already. I was not impressed with the attitude of the guy at the front desk. Luckily, I dealt with him and not my husband because that could have gone a lot worse. The lady that was there upon checkout was a sweetheart though.
Free breakfast buffet in the morning was typical, it was good, not great. Theres a small indoor pool but we didn't get to use it.
If I couldnt get anything closer to downtown, id stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Luvbug7982,
Thank you for being part of the family. We thank you for your time to share with the travel community your great experience at our property.
We are looking forward to seeing you again in 2014
Best,
Sleaford
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Stayed here for Grand Prix, long way out of Austin but very close to I35 Highway for access. Needed a car to get around as public transport was not near hotel. The staff were extra friendly and tried to help when asked, the suite was pleasant and had a kitchen area but supermarket was other side of main highway so again a car was needed. Breakfast offered fruit and yogurts, hot scrambled egg, bagels and toast as well as cereals. there was also a gym and indoor pool but we didn't use these.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant and room service is from an outside company although you can order in from lo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anthony L,
Thank you for choosing us to be your host during one of the most exciting times in Austin!
We were happy to have you as part of the family.
Our entire staff would like to thank you for your 4 star feedback. We are thrilled you enjoyed the quality of our recently renovated property and the cleanliness of our spacious rooms. The variety of hot and cold items of our complimentary full hot breakfast buffet help deliver a healthy start to our guests' day.
we are looking forward to welcoming you back for F1 in 2014.
Cheers,
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2013

After a very frustrating and exhausting day that included a difficult time attempting to find an available hotel room in the Austin area, the gentleman at the front desk named Peter was a breath of fresh air. He was extremely upbeat, positive and absolutely focused on customer service. He immediately gave my 3 children a candy basket and set a favorable tone when we arrived. He is one of those people who I can see is always positive and his nature creates a positive atmosphere before you even get to the front desk. He has a bright future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steven C
Carla_Montemurro, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Austin North/Parmer Lane, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Steven C,
Thank you for sharing your great experience at our property. We are thrilled we were able to provide you with a top notch customer service at check in. Steven C, we pride ourselves to have a genuine care approach with our family members and we are happy to deliver smiles at our front desk. Peter is an asset not only to our company but to our industry. We are honored to have him as part of the team. We can't wait to welcome you and the family back.
Thank you for the opportunity to host you.