“New and Encouraging”

Add it.
Pakwan
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Pakwan is new and they're trying hard. They show promise and I want them to succeed. Although currently rating not more than and overall "good," there is reason for you to try these freshman.

After four dinners and one Saturday buffet between January and April, they still suffer from inconsistency and occasionally amateurish service. Among the high points on food are an excellently spiced saag with tender lamb chunks, their fabulously non-greasy samosas (if you like a puree interior), a perfectly-made naan with crispy edges and air pockets, and the delightfully refreshing dahi wada lentil cakes with yogurt sauce (on the Saturday buffet). However, the low points were steeply upsetting, such as an inedible biriyani with painfully dry chicken, watered down tamarind sauce and badly made naan (yes, they're inconsistent).

The environment is new and quite comfortable, as it needs to be to command up to $16 an entree. You can see the lady chef scurrying about in earnest trying to make everything right, but not succeeding all the time. When she does, it is blissful, as with the lamb saag, so I will continue to give them room to grow in what they still call their "soft opening" period. Give 'em a try.

By the way, the restaurant is steps away from the amply stocked Man Pasand Indian grocery store.

Saturday buffet for $10.99 on 4/7/12: dahi-wada, salad, pakoras, saag paneer, vegetable jalfrazie, yellow dahl, black-eyed peas, ghost biriyani, beef keema,

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I visited Pakwan for their lunch buffet. Everything was fresh, hot, good variety. The service was impeccable. The rice pudding dessert was the best I've had in a while. We will be back.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Let me preface this review by admitting I'm British so I have been eating the English versions of Indian dishes pretty much all my life, but as the English have now adopted Indian fare as our national dish it seems, I'm extremely picky and more often than not disappointed with restaurants that come recommended. I'm truly happy to say that this was not the case with Pakwan.

I'll start with the service which was excellent, our waitress freely admitted to not having tried everything on the menu and was herself new to Indian food but was a real fan of certain things on the menu, she answered our questions honestly. A couple of drinks were brought quickly to our table and followed by a couple of meat samosas which were really excellent - a good sign of things to come.

Since my fiance is also new to curry we decided to go with the Murg Tikka Masala and Chana Masala ($14/$9) with the obligatory Naan. These were both absolutely delicious. I normally am much more daring with my selections, but these 2 basic dishes were easily the best I've had in Austin, and could stand up for themselves in some of the best Curry houses I've visited in Europe. Tremendous.

If you're in South Austin and you have the urge for a really excellent curry - I am delighted to suggest Pakwan. They have a buffet on the weekends that I fully intend to explore very soon. I was recommended this restaurant by a friend and more often than not, such recommendations fall short of my expectations, but this exceeded them on every level. Service, quality and ambiance - 10/10. Well done.