“Waited a long time in Austin for a curry this good”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pakwan - CLOSED

Pakwan
Cuisines: Indian
Austin, Texas
“Waited a long time in Austin for a curry this good”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Let me preface this review by admitting I'm British so I have been eating the English versions of Indian dishes pretty much all my life, but as the English have now adopted Indian fare as our national dish it seems, I'm extremely picky and more often than not disappointed with restaurants that come recommended. I'm truly happy to say that this was not the case with Pakwan.

I'll start with the service which was excellent, our waitress freely admitted to not having tried everything on the menu and was herself new to Indian food but was a real fan of certain things on the menu, she answered our questions honestly. A couple of drinks were brought quickly to our table and followed by a couple of meat samosas which were really excellent - a good sign of things to come.

Since my fiance is also new to curry we decided to go with the Murg Tikka Masala and Chana Masala ($14/$9) with the obligatory Naan. These were both absolutely delicious. I normally am much more daring with my selections, but these 2 basic dishes were easily the best I've had in Austin, and could stand up for themselves in some of the best Curry houses I've visited in Europe. Tremendous.

If you're in South Austin and you have the urge for a really excellent curry - I am delighted to suggest Pakwan. They have a buffet on the weekends that I fully intend to explore very soon. I was recommended this restaurant by a friend and more often than not, such recommendations fall short of my expectations, but this exceeded them on every level. Service, quality and ambiance - 10/10. Well done.

• Visited January 2012