“ACL tour”
Review of The Moody Theater

The Moody Theater
Ranked #35 of 335 things to do in Austin
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Loved this. $10 and everything you wanted to know about this historic music show. Our tour guide was amazing. He knew everything and was completely kind.

1  Thank TravelgalMissouri

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Not a bad seat in the house. Eclectic, fun, very Austin. Parking difficult meaning, you need to use a garage. Bob Schneider VD show was the best fun I've had in quite sometime. Had a private event here during Steve Miller and the staff was very accommodating and the private room was fun. You had tables, bar stools, no assigned seating and you can't see the show from your room. Huge photos everywhere of all the stars who have graced ACL over the years.

1  Thank Alohatexas240
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Saw Jonny Lang here recently as a first time visitor to Austin. Went straight to the theater after getting off a plane and checking into the hotel. (The W is right next door but not worth the $500 per night - see separate review). Unfortunately, there is no food served at the Moody (though the woman checking purses assured us that there was). So, we left, ate at a nice coffee shop across the street and came back just in time to see the opening act play three or four songs.

We had seats in the mezzanine which was much closer to the stage than I expected. There are only 4 rows and each is staggered high enough that anyone should have a clear view. The front row floor seats are close enough to nearly touch the people on the barely elevated stage and there is a standing area stage right for people that want to dance. The balcony hangs over the mezzanine, so the first few rows there should provide a great view as well, for a lot less money.

On the mezzanine concourse there is also a great photography exhibit featuring musicians - I will definitely spend some time there if we are fortunate enough to go back.

This theater also is called Austin City Limits, though this is not the original (or perhaps the only) location.

1  Thank NPHiker
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I sat in the balcony to see Neutral Milk Hotel and on the floor to see Pat Metheny and the Unity Group. There did not seem to be a bad seat in the house. Loved this place!

1  Thank HSUGrad
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was here to perform and, I have to say, this is one of the best put-together theaters I have ever seen. Stairs and signs to any place you want to go. My only confusion came when I had to locate the restrooms from the backstage area. At that point, there could have been more signs. But, really, this theater has concession stands and private lounges in the balconies. The sound quality is amazing, as one would imagine. My favorite two spots were backstage: the lounge with the comfiest and grooviest (trust me, that is the adjective) furniture, and Willie's Place, Willie Nelson's private outdoor smoking patio (that, sadly, looks onto a parking garage). If you ever get a chance to tour this location, do so. You won't regret it.

1  Thank Kirsten C