“Nice place”
Review of Cafe Malta

Cafe Malta
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Malta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #204 of 3,779 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Brodie Lane
Transit: William Cannon & Brodie
Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

Service was good, ravioli appetizers were under cooked but otherwise tasty. The hanger steak entree lacked some spices but was excellent .

There are newer reviews for Cafe Malta

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Yes, it's located in a strip mall and yes it is small on the inside but I loved the different flavors and the way they were presented. The roasted pork chop was juicy and tender - the crimini and red onion marmelade was divine - I wished I had more! The date and pancetta appetizer was fantastic - my friends and I fought over the last one! And the happy hour Licosas made with Hornitos Resposado Tequila, Paula's Texas Lemon, Paula's Texas Orange, fresh lemon juice.
Tex-Med in a frosted pint glass were excellent. I loved it all!!!

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Cafe Malta looks like it is trying very hard to be a cozy little neighborhood restaurant serving healthy, locally grown veggies. Unfortunately the evening we tried them, the food didn't measure up to our expectations. The hostess and waiter were very nice and attentive, and not overly so, though the waiter never offered us another drink and took away our water bottle before we were finished with our meal. We looked forward to the touted heirloom tomatoes on the featured salad, but were disappointed that the tiny pieces were hard to find in our serving. We ordered the Bistro Steak to share. Liked the au gratin potatoes and steamed squash cubes, but the steak was very tough, even cooked medium-medium rare, as it was. For the price, it was even harder to swallow. I had high hopes for this little spot that had come highly recommended by friends in the 'hood. Maybe we just ordered the wrong thing or caught them on a night when the usual chef was off, but if this is the norm, we'll most likely try another spot next time.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I went on a friends recommendation. Delish cocktail at very reasonable happy hour price- had the Licosa. Then a really creative Grilled Pear and Kale Salad with Gorganzola crumbles. Very tasty and unusual.
The menu looked interesting and they do have many Gluten-free dishes.
The marinated Grilled Steak was good-very tender and flavorful. I was not too interested in the potato gratin(sounded better than it tasted but it was OK.
Dessert was a big disappointment- and I told them as much. i have had flourless Chocolate cake in many places but this was the worst- dry, tastleless and very small serving. The waitress said to try the Panne Cota next time- we shall see.
I will go back- maybe wait a few months and see if they iron out the kinks- I would go back for Happy Hour and an appetiser anytime.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Not what we expected at all but SO HAPPY with what we found! It's in this crummy little shopping center, but you walk in, and it's a whole new country! They have some amazing specials and great bar selections. They made a believer out of me when I, a well-known olive hater, tasted their fig tapenade and almost liked the bowl clean! Beware that their daily specials can run out early though! I'm heartbroken that they ran out of peach creme brulee at 9pm on a Friday! I knew we shouldn't have eaten dinner late so now I have to just go back! Oh, well! Looking forward to it. Lovely find! Great for a date or showing up in flip flops with the family. Their menu is always changing with new ideas!

Been to Cafe Malta? Share your experiences!