“Delicious food but snotty waitress”

Elizabeth Street Cafe
Ranked #99 of 3,872 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time having a Bun Bowl and I loved it. I cannot wait to have another one. I thought the food was amazing, the atmosphere was cute, but our waitress was really snotty. I would go back again and hope for a different server.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Had the chance to have a Tuesday afternoon 1:00pm lunch here with 2 Washington, DC friends. Both are vegetarians and had found this sweet little First Street spot via a 'google' search. We were seated in the corner at a teal-green table booth. I'm not normally a "booth-person" but the general restaurant décor, the pretty teal color and style was appealing to me. We 3 decided to share our menu items ! I ordered the Green Mango/Cucumber appetizer salad (without the beef jerky) as an entrée. My friend ordered the crispy Gulf snapper on rice vermicelli with veggies. And her daughter ordered the tofu squares on a salad bed. I was slightly "sidelined" because there were no mango fruit on the mango-cucumber salad, only the greens! Snapper was crispy, and that entrée was quite light, quite good for a wonderful lunch meal. For dessert, we 3 split the meringue-swirled lime-avocado tart (vegan & gluten-free), which was plated with 5 large blackberries 'smothered' in a tangy mango-guava sauce. Delish! The tart wasn't too sweet, but yet sweet enough and not too tart either. We loved the creaminess and green color. Adorable blue ceramic dessert plate, too. Want to go back; would love to go back ~ and, look forward to selecting several other yummy menu items to munch on and feel like I'm definitely eating a healthy meal.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Parking lot very crowded and we thought we would have to wait for a table. We were greeted by a friendly hostess and seated immediately. The place was crowded, very busy however we were able to place our order within a few minutes. The food is excellent Vietnamese food, prepared fresh with very tasty ingredients. Served promptly with very helpful wait persons.

The chef actually came from behind the counter and welcomed us a first time visitors. What a delight this restuarant is!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

This popular Restaurant follows some strange customs. We were a group of 8 people and without our consent they put a total stranger in our table. This person sat with us, ordered food and finished his meal in our company. Weird ! The food is French style Vietnamese, we tried the Bahn Mi, Pho and also the Bun and were immensely pleased. The Chico Bouchon that I tried was a lovely desert. This place is pricey and I must warn you – Service is super slow and be prepared to wait for a long time. The food was average and my vegetarian friend said she was not impressed with what she got !

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Heard a lot about this cafe from the locals and read about it on tripadvisor and was disappointed.
Had to wait for 20 minutes to be seated, but it being a Sunday afternoon it was understandable. They had both in door and out door seating and the decor was pretty straight and simple. It is a French Vietnamese restaurant and boasts of authentic fare.
We were a family of Seven and had a longish table to ourselves when suddenly a stranger was allowed to sit at the other end. Was a bit odd that it was a shared seating arrangement in a supposedly upmarket cafe. Had veg pho chay ( recommended, pho is supposedly very good here ) and it was average and not too authentic. Food did take some time coming as well. They are open breakfast thru dinner. Would give it a miss if in Austin again.