“BED BUGS”

Motel 6 Austin South - Airport
Ranked #170 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 4, 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE. My room had bed bugs. I didn't discover this until the last day of my trip when I woke up with several bites on me and then actually FOUND a bed bug on my friend's sweater. I know it was bed bugs because my apartment complex in California had them so I know exactly what they look like. The hotel denied knowing they had them, but they were replacing the mattresses in the rooms surrounding ours the day we got there. That should have been our first clue. When I called the hotel to ask if they knew they had bugs and why they'd rent us a room if they did, they said they didn't know, and that they would only know that by me calling to tell them. They didn't offer me any sort of compensation even after I told them that I ended up in an urgent care center the day after I left because I'm allergic to bed bug bites and had a really bad allergic reaction to them. So unless you want to pay for a crappy room with even worse housekeeping and bed bugs, find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kory H
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Austin South - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Kory H - We apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience they caused you. Please contact our guest relations department so we will have a record of your experience to better address these issues and improve your experience with us in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

*Perhaps "love" is a bit strong.

But c'com; it's a Motel 6. Complaining about a Motel 6 is like complaining about paying 20€ for a drink in Cannes; you know the story before you walk through the door.

Their website advertises its location and that it charges for internet access so if you've got a problem with the location and the fact that the internet was $2.99 a day, you've only yourself to blame. Look: http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.aspx?num=113

I had room 132. The wifi didn't reach that far so reception gave me free vouchers each day and I sat by the pool and worked from there. The shower was fine, water pressure wasn't great but it did the job. The bed was clean, the mattress and pillows particularly comfortable. It was a pain getting a taxi but I was there for the SxSW music festival, so no surprises. There's a Denny's 7 minutes walk away across the I-35 so that's breakfast taken care of. And the staff were cool to me. I had a ton of questions and they never made me feel like I was annoying them.

Room Tip: As far away from the I-35 as you can get
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ADInglis
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Last minute plans to Austin and had to stay at this place. The room was very small, the bed very uncomfortable, the television was a least 20 years old with a horrible picture. Even though the Wi-Fi did work, it was necessary to go to the front desk each day and pay for another day. This was just silly. The bathroom had a remodel attempt. It did not help it. The shower had absolutely NO water pressure. I could have poured a small cup of water on my head and had the same effect. The furniture in the room, what there was of it, was uncomfortable and very old. In general, the place is a dump. I am shocked that Motel6 allows them to carry the brand name.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this place in any of the rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Scott J
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

This was solid place to crash... Something my fellow travelers & I appreciated finding enough to post a review of it! Sufficiently clean rooms; friendly staff. It's good to know where you can find these things mid-road trip. Added bonus: downtown Dallas was totally accessible by car from the motel, even on a Friday night. We drove in, but I figure the close proximity (three exits down 35) would make for a pretty cheap cab ride if you wanted to have some drinks. Worth settling in a pleasant (if unremarkable) spot just outside the city. Save your cash for all the Austin fun!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have had many great experience at Motel 6 locations and have grown to usually looking first at Motel 6 locations for budget travel accomodations.... however I was horribly disappointed by this location. I agree with one of the reviews posted saying "This is the worst Motel 6 location."

Property had look of being rundown and not much quality appeal to the eye. The room was tiny, once the bed was in hardly no room for moving around. Lots of noise from outside was annoying. but then during the night while trying to sleep, the noise from second floor was so disturbing in my first floor room. It sounded like a tap dance recital going on up there.

This property advertises wireless internet service. It was very disappointing that once I was checked in and had paid for the room.....upon inquiring, I was told there was an additional charge per day for the internet service. Only could pay one day at the time. She refused to take for more than one day so i had to go back in office each morning to pay for internet service.

They had good rates. That's where I must draw the line of any positive remarks for this location. Front desk staff was not too friendly or eager to offer assistance.

I am in Austin regular on business in this neighborhood. I definitely have found a much nicer hotel in the same price range near by.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank T L
Reviewed November 4, 2011

This is just a regular Motel 6. They were very busy the two nights I stayed. The rooms have recently been painted and new laminate flooring installed. The showers looked to be new as well. It was nice and clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Rooms are a bit small but it is minutes to downtown six street, Zilker park, all of the festivals, the lake, the airport. Nicest people texas has to offer, families are welcome. Do not get a room downstairs I could hear the construction worker get ready for work at 5 am. I moved upstairs and it as great. Bring an ice chest and shampoo , there are no micro fridges or shampoo but for 50 bucks a night incuding tax it was great.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends