“Fun place and good food!”
Review of El Alma Cafe

El Alma Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
El Alma Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #165 of 3,816 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Mexican, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dawson
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Great place to get your Mexican cuisine on and less noisy and hectic than some of those other restaurants on Barton Springs Road. People rave about the outdoor patio which is great but I have not yet tried. I'm a big fan of the Duck Rellenos and the ritas are tasty.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

El Alma Cafe is one of those small boutique restaurants I wish I lived closer to. If I did, I would certainly make it one of my regular go-to Mexican restaurants.

I had the occasion to visit Austin for just a few hours to meet an old friend. Based on its TripAdvisor reviews I chose to have dinner at El Alma Cafe. The location is great; near the city center, but just outside so you miss the crowds and traffic, and we were able to park right at the front door. Inside, the decor is simple, but eclectic, just like you would expect from a neighborhood cafe in Ausin. It was pleasantly absent the usual over decorated clutter of many Mexican establishments.

Our waiter as great, and helped us understand our options during Happy Hour. The house Margarita, $4.00 during Happy Hour, was great. A perfect balance of tequila and lime, in a generous, non-traditional glass. The menu contains a number of appetizers that are half priced during Happy Hour; we tried the Queso Fundido with chorizo - it was great.

Mole sauce seems to be El Alma Cafe's specialty, and they do it well. I had the duck enchiladas with mole sauce, which was served with a very unusual, but wonderful, rice and another side dish they called corn slaw. Again, if I lived closer, I'd look forward to trying everything on the menu.

Least I forget, El Alma Cafe does serve chips and salsa at the table. The red sauce is a smokey chipotle sauce, and the green is a tangy tomatillo salsa. I found both to be not only unique from any other I've had, but really good!

There are certainly a plethora of decent Mexican places in Austin. Be sure and give El Alma Cafe a try.

Reviewed March 24, 2012

We went with a group of 6 and did call ahead to get on the list but were lucky enough to get to sit ont eh patio instead of inside on a perfect night. Indoors it did seem a bit loud but the patio was great with wonderful views of the Austin Skyline.

The wait staff was attentive and kept our drink glasses full and the chips an salsa going. They serve 2 salsas a green and a red. The green was the table favorite a tomantillos, avocado cilantro salsa with a touch of lime. The red salsa was flavorful too neither was especially spicy. We order the Blaco Queso as an appetizer and it was tasty although it was thinner then we have had before.

I personally had the Duck Enmoladas which are mole enchiladas and I have to say this was probably the best Mole I have ever had. Another had the cheese enchilada and they we very good. The Duck Relleno got a reaction of pure pleasure from our friend. The other disshed were all great the only even slightly negative was that although very tasty the chipolte was not spicy.

Although I was completely full I had to take a bite of the chocolate cake that was ordered and it was rich and moist with a hint of chipolte absolutely delicious.

This was a very wonderful and pleasurable experience!

Reviewed March 12, 2012

It has a cute deck that has a great view of downtown and is a great place to enjoy "Amazing Austin" weather. The Happy Hour is from 3:00 to 7:00. The Classic Margarita is perfect for $4.00. The appetizers are great and half price during Happy Hour. My favorite is the "Gringas" It should be ordered as the Pastor with pineapple! It is Delicious! The staff is alway plesant and are ready to serve. Give It A Try!

Reviewed February 6, 2012

I recently had Sunday lunch at El Alma. My daughter and I were warmly greeted and seated. We were immediately offered a beverage and our order was taken promptly. Although I did not see the upstairs outside dining area because it was too wet and cold, there is an attractive staircase in the middle back of the restaurant that leads the way up and out. We were served two types of salsa with chips. Both were fantastic, flavorful, and not too hot. We started our meal with the nachos, pastor with pineapple. I am not big on pineapple in my foods but this was just the right touch mixed with the pork, chips and cheese. I ordered a veggie taco on corn tortilla and a corn muffin. Both were great but the presentation of the corn muffin was festive with the plate and muffin “painted” with sour cream and topped with chopped tomatoes. My daughter ordered the enfrijoladas enchiladas and was very pleased. I sampled and can verify they were tasty too. Definitely returning. Reasonably priced. Very Good.

Been to El Alma Cafe? Share your experiences!