“I love Corazon!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown
“I love Corazon!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The beef tenderloin at Corazon is one of the best meals I've ever had in a restaurant. Having cut his teeth (so to speak) at Ruth's Chris in New Orleans, the chef knows his way with beef.This is Black Angus, free range, hormone and steroid free as beef is meant to be. Amazing. But then there are the Chicken Rnchiladas Suizas. I dream about them. Or for something lighter, the crab cakes with Caesar salad. These crab cakes have a secret ingredient...crab! Not fillers. And oh, my...the chocolate truffle heart for dessert. Or the wonderful bread pudding with Mexican Brandy Espresso Sauce. And if you like a good, spicy gumbo, this is the place. And with it all, hibiscus tea. Very refreshing!

Besides the actual food, I love that they allow you to split a plate. There is an additional charge of $3, but that includes a serving of sides and sauce for each person. So you each get your own beautiful plate with just half the entree. Perfect if you and your companion are not big eaters.

And the other best part is that there is parking. Since we live in the 'burbs, the hassle of parking downtown just takes a lot of fun out of the experience of going most anywhere downtown. But at Corazon, the experience is wonderful from the time we pull into the parking lot until the time we pull out.

So good!

• Visited June 2013

Austin, Texas
“Complex Flavors - It is All Good!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We've been to Corazon a couple times now and it is simply outstanding. The food is a bit difficult to characterize - interior Mexican is a start, but the elements they add bring it up a notch, and there are items that you simply won't find on an interior Mexican menu.

Online reservations are easy to make, and the staff is very helpful in getting you oriented to the menu, which changes seasonally.

We haven' had anything bad. Some notes about what we've really liked:

-The house salad is a fresh combination of greens, jicama, beets, and a smoky-pecan vinaigrette. Simple and wonderful! There is a warm empanada on the side of the salad that has a cheesy/starchy filling that is oh so good. I could eat a whole plate of those (and they do come as a side order if you have that desire).

-Chips and salsa: fresh and good.

-The pork tenderloin was served on a bed of mashed potatoes that was sitting in a spicy tomatillo sauce. There were vegetables on the side and a glaze drizzled over the tenderloin. Perfectly seasoned and cooked.

-The voodoo coconut fried shrimp was crispy and flavorful.

-It is, surprisingly, a kid-friendly place. The kids menu has several more traditional items (quesadillas, for example) and even simple buttered pasta.

-The wine list is pretty extensive and the bar serves up some creative cocktails. I tried the mojito this time and it was good.

When the restaurant is full it can be a little bit noisy. There are some quieter corners. Expect to pay $20-$25 for most entrees.

• Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“I'm usually craving it.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'm not sure if my review will add anything but I'll give it a try.

I absolutely love this place. It is one of my favorite restaurants in Austin. Interesting and delicious margaritas. Great service. And the food is something that you will randomly crave from time to time. It's also something that will impress your friends that come to visit you from out of town. Desserts? I've tried several and can't decide what my favorite is.

One of the other things I love is the decor, especially the life-sized talavera calavera ladies. I want one for my house! I also love the cactus photos all over the place.

Austin, TX
“If I only had a last meal it would be Corazon”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have been dining at this resturant for many years. The Shrimp Enchaladas is one of the best meals I have ever had. I often remark that if I had only one last meal this is what it would be. Very complex flavors and beautiful on the plate.

Houston, Texas
“unexpected! excellent!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

we bought a coupon to dine with groupon. excpecting a so so restaurant. after getting lost we finally got seated with our reservation, although we were a tad late. the staff were great in helping us choose the meal and drink. we started with the corazon house sala. for entrees we ordered the black angus beef tenderloin and new york strip with red wine sauce. to die for! we enjoyed our meal so far, lots of flavor and cook to perfection. we finish off with the dessert Mocha Toffee Torte with coffee and tea. compliments to the chief for making our dinner a great experience and to the waiting staff use attention in refilling our water and constantly removing used plates. it made our stay in austin a lot more enjoyable than expected. highly recommended.