“Not as 'safe' as you think (or as they say)...”
Review of Trapeze Austin - CLOSED

Trapeze Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the extraordinary physical exhilaration of flying on the trapeze. Trapeze Austin offers 2 hour classes that will teach you the basics of the art of the flying trapeze.During the beginner-friendly lessons, students get a ground-lesson and then spend most of the class flying through the air. There’s even an opportunity to be caught in mid-air in the first class. Trapeze is a “mountain with no top” so each time you come out, we’ll assist you with taking it to the next level by learning new tricks and developing fundamental skills. All experience levels welcome, ages 6 and up (250lb weight limit).
Round Rock, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not as 'safe' as you think (or as they say)...”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Booking and the customer service were just fine for me. Getting there, we were told that the class was inside and our kids that were watching would be able to have something to do to keep them occupied. Nope. It's outside. Mosquitos, fire ants and Texas heat galore. Egh, what ever. Not comfortable but not a big deal.

From reading about Trapeze Austin, it certainly looked fun. I'm not afraid of heights or anything but I was scared initially about falling face first into the net. Ohh.. you don't have to worry about that. This is for all ages & all abilities, right? You'll soar thru the air like Peter Pan as you're safely hooked to a hard core harness and the person on the ground (holding on to that rope) is paying attention and supporting you. I'm not sure what that harness was supposed to do, but it did nothing for me.

First try, up that rickety ladder, palms sweating from nerves & heat. I grab the bar tight and hop like I was told to. Then at the bottom of the swing... ripped off the due to the momentum and landed face/neck first into the net. Slid 7 feet. Heard a pop in my neck. WTF?? Ok. That was my fault I guess, I wasn't holding on tight enough, or my legs weren't together or any one of the mistakes the girls were yelling at me from the top. One thing is for sure, I shouldn't have hit the net like I did.

Not quitting on the first try and assuming all fault for the first one, I go up that ladder again. More nervous and sweatier palms... I try to go thru all of the steps in my head & I ask for a little direction again just to make sure. I really need to pump myself up this time before I jump. I was having serious second thoughts and told the girls "I don't think I can do this". Nope, not an acceptable answer. Grab the bar, toes over, push back.. push back! Ready, hop. I was NOT ready but I had no choice. I did my best, followed instructions and hopped. Same exact ending. Fell on my neck AGAIN and slid 7 feet. What is that harness supposed to do anyways? My worst fear realized. I took that harness off as fast as I could. I sat, watched and encouraged all the other fliers patiently until the class was over.

That was a few days ago. I am still in serious pain. I'm not going to call them because I know they won't care. I can't sleep at night as I'm thinking about those crashes constantly. I have it all on video but it's too painful to watch right now :(

If you have doubts, DON'T DO IT! Or just expect the worst and pray for the best.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Mary L

Toronto, Ontario
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Flying High with Trapeze Austin”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've been doing flying trapeze for a long time up at the Toronto circus school, and heard there was a rig in Austin. I was actually visiting friends in San Antonio, and convinced them to drive us to Austin specifically to fly on the Austin rig. A really warm and welcoming experience, even for those of us who have been doing this for a while. It's always a treat to fly on a new rig, but especially so when you find a great team of coaches. It was good to see them really stress the safety aspect of the sport. I've flown on a number of rigs, and not everyone takes the time to get you to stretch and warm up, or to do a quick strength/ability assessment. These 3 coaches were all on their game. With flyers ranging in age from teens to 50's (yeah, that's me), they made everyone feel like a star. It's not that long a drive if you're going to be in the San Antonio area, and Austin is a great town on top of the trapeze aspect. Add this to your list of must-do's while you're down there. Thanks again, Trapeze Austin -- Fly High!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank flyinmom
Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Trapeze Austin made me the Best Dad Ever!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

According to my kids, anyway.

I came across these folks at the last minute and tried to sign up my girls (12 & 14). Unfortunately, there weren't spots available in our limited schedule, so I figured we were out of luck. I was disappointed, as their website made it sound as if, in a single 2-hour class, novice participants would really get to do a fair bit. I'd looked at a similar outfit in NYC this summer, but it seemed geared to long-term classes. Trapeze Austin, however, appeared more open to newbies just giving it a try.

I called the company the morning of, hoping there might be a cancellation. Sure enough, they called me right back with a couple of openings. My girls had a fantastic time, even though they were several years younger than the next-youngest participant. The instructors were friendly, competent, and energetic, and they did a fine job of keeping the class moving without making it feel rushed. I was amazed that they were able to teach "normal" folks to complete the tricks on the agenda - especially my 12-year-old, who quickly claimed the "happy screamer" role.

The couple of hours with this crew were the highlight of our Austin trip. I've already recommended Trapeze Austin to several of my Austin-area friends.

1 Thank Petroboy1
Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Makes you want to join the circus”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We bought our 2 daughters the 2 hour flying trapeze class and they had a great time. They went to the Dripping Springs/Stunt Ranch location. The instructors were very knowledgable and patient. There were students of all ages in the class and they did a great job teaching to the different abilities and fitness levels. They were always encouraging and supportive and new how to correct technique in a positive way. The girls finished the class by doing a release/catch move and they were thrilled. They can't wait to go again.

Austin, Texas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Amazing, Fun & Great Date Even If You Are 40+ Newbies Like Us”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife had been hinting about a Trapze Class for some time so I took the plunge with Trapeze Austin. We had a blast.

The staff was excellent. They teach you how to completely flip in the air from the trapeze bar and even have one of the trainers catch you in the air after you have mastered the basic moves.

Here is a video of the place and one of the moves you learn. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPUPLYABytg

This is a great date spot!