“Trout and Duck Were Good”
Review of Foreign & Domestic

Foreign & Domestic
Ranked #379 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Hyde Park
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Trout and Duck Were Good”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went at 5:30 the Friday immediately before Memorial Day and were the first people there. Rain falling very hard. We're 2 men, 1 age 55 and the other 53. Server was very good, we were never rushed. The place was busy when we left but never full, I suspect due to the rain and they don't really have a very large indoor area to wait. Tried the pop overs which were ok but I don't quite understand why so many raves. They are huge though. Several tables ordered a goat cheese appetizer I think I would liked more. I had trout, partner ordered duck. Both very good, the trout was hardly raw. It was cooked perfectly. Each of us had a drink before dinner and shared a bottle of house wine. If I remember correctly the total check was approx. $100. We had no complaints and would return.

1 Thank Westshore

Austin, TX
“Rude and undercooked food.”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Short wait, great service but lousy food, rare trout? really?? Unfriendly management. So many great places in Austin. Once was enough.

3 Thank trixie1101
“Inconsistent food, and service makes for a poor overall experience”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Being a regular watcher of Diners Drive ins and Dives, I was excited to eat here. While the pop overs were stellar, our dinner for four was inconsistent. My risotto was great, but my friend's trout, while seared properly was raw in the middle indicating that the had been put on the grill while frozen. When my friend pointed out that the fish was raw, she was told that this was how the chef served it - rare. It was raw not rare. The staff did offer to cook it more or bring her something else, but by this time, she had lost her appetite so it was simply sent back. We were determined to have a good time, having ordered both cocktails and 2 bottles of wine. But I should have known something was up when the waitor pushed to take our food order with our drink order. I was exceedingly disappointed with both the service and managements attitude that they had the right to take our money and then rush us out so they could turn the table. Even as we paying the check (and finishing our wine) we were asked to hurry because people were waiting (tho there was another open table for 4) . When we talked to the owner he didn't feel this was inappropriate, in fact, it was done at his direction. Needless to say, we will not be going back or recommending it to our friends

2 Thank Virginia20171
Portland, Oregon
“great burger and pop overs. go there”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Went to this place as a single diner, choosing to sit and the Chef's bar. I was able to walk right in with no wait. I started out with the Black pepper and gruyere pop overs, which did not dissapoint. Although being by myself two pop overs was a bit much but I did my very best to devour both of them. My entree was the waygu beef burger. This thing was 3/4lb with fried portk belly on top. Holy smokes I had every intention of not eating the whole thing after the pop over debacle but in the end there was nothing left on my plate and I needed a nap. The soux chefs were friendly and had a great conversation with them when they could afford the distraction.

• Visited April 2013
Defiance, Missouri
“Fresh, Fun, Innovative”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

A wonderful exprerience sitting at the Chef's bar. Innovative cuisine combinations, the black peeper and gruiyere turnovers were killer, the burger awesome, the service tremendous and overall a fun foodie establishment. It is great to see younger folks working very hard to bring their vision and concepts to the fore, and Austin is a difficult town to do so. Example Tuesday night Packed to the outside seating in the reformed garage, go, you will enjoy, relax its meant to be fun!

• Visited April 2013