“Keep Looking” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #150 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Fairfax, Virginia
“Keep Looking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was just passing through for a night and needed a place to plop down for a few hours before a very early flight the next morning. I normally stay at budget motels like Motel 6 because I'm not picky and prefer to save a few bucks, especially in a case like this. When I checked in, I was not asked my smoking preference (non), but I was given a smoking room. Not a big deal, but I know others are very sensitive. There were burn marks on the bedspread and flor. The room was remodeled in the new contemporary look, with fake hardwood floors, a flat screen TV, and updated vanity with raised sink. I liked the look. The worst part came when I tried to take a shower and there was a leak where the showerhead screwed in, resulting in very little water actually coming out and it was not at all adequate for a shower. When I called the front desk to schedule the oh-so-early wake-up call, I let them know and I was told they'd put in a work order. Fine, but that doesn't help me at all. No offer to switch rooms or any kind of compensation, but I was too tired to argue and press the issue. Finally, at 4 a.m., I noticed all kinds of little bugs in the sink and around the door (fruit flies, maybe?) and this is where I also noticed that the sink barely drained. At this point, I didn't care about anything anymore.

I will say that I wrote to Motel 6's corporate office before I even went to bed (so I didn't even get to tell them about the bugs) and I got a nice response and a free night voucher good for any location. I appreciated how they handled the situation and the quick response, and that's really the only reason I gave a two-star rating instead of one. Most of my Motel 6 experiences have been much better than this one, as I know to expect minimal amenities and frills. But I do also expect a clean room and working showers, so I'd avoid this place if you have other options available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CosmoVA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

The location is very sketchy, homeless people all over. The rooms were so dirty. I was forced to stay my entire 2 nights for lack of availability elsewhere otherwise I would have left. . I had to clean my own floors!!! Hairs and crumbs everywhere!!!

My non smoking room had burn holes in the blankets and everything smelled like smoke.

You get what you pay for here. This place is a dump, choose another motel.

Room Tip: Very small parking lot.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GRBGRB

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Hemet, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

First of all I never write reviews. I flew into Austin from California and needed a room for the night. I checked with priceline. It seemed like a reasonable deal. I have stayed at several Motel 6 before. When I arrived I already had a very bad feeling. This motel is very sketchy and scary. I didn't feel safe staying there by myself at all. Even though I had already paid for the room online I decided not to stay. I felt that bad about the area. I wish I would have read reviews before booking. It would have saved me $55. Lesson learned. I hope I can help someone else not make the same mistake.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Leslie S
Harrisburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I were in town for the March Madness games at UT. The location of the hotel is a little confusing for out-of-towners when approaching from the south (you have to go past the hotel and back around, 35 is quite the freeway) but once you get used to it, it's no problem. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Bring your own shampoo and conditioner because all you get is a bar of soap. It's a very clean and inexpensive place to stay with no frills. Contrary to some other reviewers, I felt very safe during our five day stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bmumper15
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We ended planning a trip to Austin during SXSW like fools and the only hotel that we could find online that wasn't $500 a night was this Motel 6. After reading the reviews, I thought that the place would be okay but I will warn you right now... This place is AWFUL. When we arrived, there were homeless people loitering the property and over-flowing trash cans by the doors. When we walked into our room, it smelled like someone had been smoking in it for years. No amount of air freshener can get that smell out. There were cigarette burns all over the comforters. I would even question how clean the sheets and pillows were, as they were discolored with stains on them. There was only one towel in the bathroom and stains streaking the bathroom wall. I wouldn't even take a shower in this place. I was so traumatized by how awful this place was that I screamed to my companion, "OMG, there is blood on the floor!" but I am pretty sure it was just red paint. Oddly enough there is nothing in the room painted red. This place is incredibly disgusting. It is NOT clean AT ALL. I would not even let my dog stay there. We were told by locals that this Motel 6 is located in the worst part of town and is known to rent the rooms by half-the-hour to prostitutes and drug users. I do want to say that, yes this place was remodeled, but that was quite awhile ago as the "newness" has definitely worn off. The only nice thing in that room was the bathroom sink. If you are looking for a comfortable place to sleep, forget about it. The beds are cheap mattresses on a formica slab. The only reason I am giving this place a 2 instead of a 1 is bc the front desk clerks were so incredibly kind and gave us a full refund. By the grace of God, we found a room at the Hampton Inn by the Arboretum (which is a very nice hotel).

Room Tip: The tip is to not book this place period.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Morenike A
Iowa City IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This Motel 6 was clean, convenient and safe. The front desk clerks were helpful, efficient and friendly. I requested a different room because I didn't like the location of the one first given to me; the clerk accomodated me immediately without a hassle. There is an area (long and semi-narrow strips) on the west and north sides that are perfect for dog walking. The rooms are remodeled and clean; The location of the motel is convenient to downtown Austin; it is still a little drive from the north and traffic can be heavy. There are no restaurants or stores or other conviences in the immeidate area. At night there was some coming and going so I would use caution. I did encouter a few random people that were eerie (Austin in general seems to have a huge transient population owing to it's warm winter climate) This didn't affect my sleep or feeling of safety.

Room Tip: I would request a room in the back on the west side for the quiet. Also if you have a dog this area...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JRW5362
Mesquite
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Motel 6 generally are just average, but the reno helped to elevate the rating on this one. The room was very clean and fresh smelling. Large flat screen TV and sleeker furniture made the room seem larger. On-site security.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business