“Not sure this was a safe place to stay”

Motel 6 Austin North
Ranked #171 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I actually stayed here two nights and then returned a couple of nights later and spent two more nights. The first two nights I felt a little uncomfortable about some people who were outside and talking loudly. I was by myself and on the back side of the motel. Because I was staying in ICU during the day with a very sick relative, I just needed a place to sleep and wanted something cheap.
When I returned for the next two nights, there were two Austin PD cars driving around the parking lot. I asked the reception clerk about this and he told me that someone had reported a fight and the police were trying to find it. He said that the manager had already looked around the facility and had not found a fight. I went ahead and booked a room since it was late. This time I was on the front of motel near the office.
The next night there were two security guards in front of the lobby. I asked the clerk about them and he told me that they were security guards. I told him I did not know that the motel had security guards. He said that they always have them; however, it was the first time I had them during my four-night stay.
I am returning to Austin today and I am not going to stay at this place. I was really concerned about my safety and it is in a bad area. It is a shame because the rooms were okay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank daughter-mom
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Austin North

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This motel 6 was the last stay in a long move from NH to San Antonio-we stayed in them primarily because they all allow dogs and are everywhere. This one had recently been renovated, and was a nice surprise-sparkling colors,a cool little seating area built into the corner, scrupulously clean, and, in general, a really good, inexpensive choice right off the highway. The staff was friendly and helpful(and the fact that they cooed over my aging cocker spaniel didn't hurt). Would definately stay at this one again.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank gardengoddess54
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was moving from Minneapolis to Austin and needed somewhere to stay for one night until I could go look for temporary sublet housing options. Not wanting to spend any more than necessary, I landed on the Motel 6 along I-35 in North Austin.

Like other Motel 6 properties in the South, I knew going in what to expect. The front desk staff was decently capable of taking my reservation. The room was about as drab as it gets... low-to-the-ground bed, small TV on the wall, no free shampoo or soap... But again, I knew this is what I'd be getting. All I really needed was a place to sleep and shower, and I got both. Actually, the shower was surprisingly modern and looked recently renovated. And the AC pumped out ice cold air, a must for the Texas heat.

I have seen nicer and much, much worse Motel 6 properties. I would probably not recommend this place to a friend unless they were passing through and simply needed to get some rest and back on the road.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank glanzerr
Reviewed October 8, 2010

When we realized we accidentally booked a room at this location instead of our usual motel 6 we went ahead and checked in. First thing I noticed was the bullet proof glass and night time check in box. Security guard was outside talking to a gentleman who was drinking beer next to his truck directly in front of the office. Held the door open for a crackhead carrying a bag who got a room for 1 night. Upon checking in and looking for our room, we got lucky enough to park directly in front of a room where a crackhead was opening the door awaiting arrival of her 2 crackhead men who pulled up beside us in a old van. I couldn't feel closer to being in Houston than in Austin ; ) As we walked to our room, there was a nice drug deal going down right next to the stairways leading up to our room. That old smell of marijuana being smoked right on the corner. Upon arriving to our no smoking room, it was nice to realize we had a ash tray and a nice aroma of cigarette smoke stained room. Overall the room seemed clean, but I was kind of scared of what had gone on in our bed. Oh well, tomorrow night we'll be in the Crowne Plaza in our priority club room. Sucks they raised their price just because of ACL, because this motel 6 was definitely not worth 67.00 for 1 night. Hopefully we wake up in the morning with all of our belongings and a car.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank the_amused_one
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I love the Motel 6 brand. When you're traveling just for the weekend, for some purpose other than a fancy vacation, it's absolutely the way to go.

Rooms were spartan and industrial, but VERY clean and comfortable. A/C worked very good... which is a big plus in the middle of July in Austin, Texas. Staff was extremely helpful and nice. I would stay again... if it weren't for the other guests and the REALLY ROUGH part of town where this motel is located!!!

Pool area was a perpetual party from the time it opened to the time it closed... people boozing, swimming, and screaming all day long. When the pool closed, people lined the sidewalks drinking every night. I would wake up in the morning to garbage sacks full of beer cans along the sidewalks. Very sordid groups of people walking around all night long, including ladies that I suspect were prostitutes. I am a smoker... I go outside each time I want a cigarette... I really didn't even feel safe doing that.

If motel would step up security patrol, it would be a decent place to stay. As it stands, it served its purpose, but I would not stay there again. The sad part is... the staff is great and the rooms are a good value. It would be a hidden gem if only it were in a better part of town and attracted better guests.

My suggestion... keep driving on I-35 southbound for about 2 more miles. There is a cluster of much nicer-looking hotels/motels (including another M6) near the I-35/HWY183 interchange.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank VirtualBizWeb
Reviewed June 26, 2010

For $30, can you really complain? Went to Austin on a whim and went with the cheapest Motel 6 in the area and it was a good choice. The staff was great and very friendly. The room A/C worked FANTASTIC in the blistering Texas heat. Close to downtown (like 10 minutes) and right off the freeway.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank SoCalC8
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Yes, i also stayed there with my husband.
I love the Motel 6, always clean and very friendly staff... So they can't help this thing:

When we arrived, our "neighbours" were calling my husband all the time, to ask his "premession" to let me work as their prostitute all night!!! (!!!!!!!) Ofcourse my husband said no, but they could not stop knocking on our door all the time and call us.
We told the reception, the man was a sweetheart, but could not do anything...

Well, big adventure, but it was very scary! : 0