“Troop 287 Killeen Texas Climbing Experience”

Rock-About Climbing Adventures
Ranked #4 of 101 Outdoor Activities in Austin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Rock-About Has been providing Austin tours since 2001 and our AMGA certified guides have a perfect safety record. Your having a great time is our mission and we have a ton of reviews that reflect our ability. Join us right in the middle of Austin for a great climbing adventure. We've been a Certificate of Excellence winner 3 times and can't thank our clients and TripAdvisor enough for this honor. Please note: You must pre-register through our website. The location listed is one of the places we work and not an office.
Harker Heights, Texas, United States
“Troop 287 Killeen Texas Climbing Experience”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

On Saturday 8 December we had an awsome climbing experience for 18 scouts at Enchanted Rock SNA. Rock-About did an excellent job in instructing our scouts on the proper climbing techniques as they had a fun time. Nothing but outstanding comments about the experience.

Visited December 2012
Rock-About-Climbing, Owner at Rock-About Climbing Adventures, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We are always happy to show youngsters a good time while teaching them how to be safe while doing it. My guides and I had a great time with you guys as well. Looking forward to seeing you all next year.

Houston, Texas, United States
“Very Knowledgeable Instructor”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I got into rock climbing over a year and a half ago and absolutely fell in love with it. I started out in the gym and eventually moved to outdoors with top-roping and sport climbing. When it was time to try trad-climbing, I asked some climbing friends where and who they would recommend. They highly recommended Rock-About, and after taking their two-day weekend class I could see why. I went with two other climbing buddies and our Rock-About instructor was Adam. Adam was highly knowledgeable about the gear and techniques we wanted to learn. He also informed us of best practices and the reasoning behind them. I always hate it when instructors tell you to do something one way, but don't explain why you should do it that way. Adam definitely knew his stuff and backed it up with years of experience. Not only was the class informative but hanging out with Adam was just plain fun! He's laid back and has a great sense of humor. I took away from this class a lot of information about trad-climbing, and I feel really confident now about moving forward with it. And I always know that if I have any questions, I can hit up Rock-About with an email and they'll be happy to help me. I absolutely would recommend taking a class with Rock-About to all my friends or anybody who wants to get outside for a little fun!

Visited December 2012
Rock-About-Inc, Owner at Rock-About Climbing Adventures, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Simon,

Thanks for reviewing us. It's great feedback to know we were recommended by some of your climbing friends. I'm glad you had fun climbing with me and were happy with how I explained everything. Fun and informative is exactly the kind of experience I want to provide. I appreciate your compliments and your recommendation. We would love to take you out climbing again.

Austin, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Christmas Gift Ever”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

When I learned my 10 and 13 year-old nephews were rock climbing at a gym, I knew the perfect early Christmas gift would be a REAL climb at Enchanted Rock. Our guide helped reduce my cost by offering me a group class with 2 other families. The kids and adults who climbed ranged in age from 9 to 42 and everyone got challenged and also got to celebrate success. Our guide, Adam, focused on safety and along the way taught the younger kids leadership skills without them even knowing it. Enchanted Rock is a unique spot where magma protruded from beneath the soil long ago and left several pink granite domes. Within the park there are many different micro-ecosystems depending on if there is water or shade. I had climbed at Enchanted Rock myself about 20 years ago with the guy that founded Rock-About and Adam has continued the focus on safety and good clean (well, a little dirty) fun. Those of us who didn't climb brought a picnic and by day's end all three of us families felt like old friends - after day of climbing we all hugged like we were old buddies. I know what my nephews are getting for Christmas next year...and the next.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Robin B
Rock-About-Inc, Owner at Rock-About Climbing Adventures, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Robin,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. Taking you and your nephews out to Enchanted Rock was a treat! It's a great spot to come out and climb. I'm glad all of you had fun, and that you fell in so quickly with the other families. I appreciate your compliments and your recommendation. I hope to see you again next Christmas!

Take care,
Houston, TX
“Fantastic Outdoor Experience”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have climbed with Adam and Rock About twice. The first time was back in January (2012) at Enchanted Rock through one of his groupon promotions. It was a great trip. The scenery was gorgeous, and while the weather was a little chilly in the morning, it warmed up nicely in the afternoon.

There were about 7 of us there for the groupon, and a large group a boy scouts that Rock-About was also taking on for the day. They did a good job keeping us separated, so we didn't have to deal with the noise and everything else that goes along with a group of 20 obnoxious (sorry parents) kids.

Adam and his guiding staff were extremely professional. For all of us there for the groupon it was our first time climbing outside, and we went through a comprehensive belay/safety instruction in the morning. There was plenty of time for actual climbing, too. The staff had set up top-ropes on several routes, and after the ~40 minute hike to the climbing area, we got to it. The routes were of appropriate difficulty for beginners, and the one wall we were on kept us occupied the whole day, and we each got in 4-5 routes. The guides were always on hand to supervise and give us help when we needed it. I had a fantastic time, and was immediately addicted to the solitude and focus involved in climbing outside.

The second time I climbed with Adam was at Reimers Ranch two months later. My brother was in town visiting, and we had decided we wanted to get more serious about climbing, so we asked Adam to show us how to improve. This session was much more technically focused than the groupon one. The day was spent on slightly more difficult climbs, and Adam was great about giving us pointers and tips. He also taught us how to rappel. It was a big help to me and my brother and I; we progressed very fast, and have been climbing and leading outside independently for ~6 months now. I'd definitely recommend Rock-About's guiding service to anyone looking to get into climbing, or just wanting to spend a great day outdoors doing something fun and exciting!

Visited March 2012
Rock-About-Inc, Owner at Rock-About Climbing Adventures, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Hey Sean,

Thanks again for posting this! I'm glad you had fun. We'd love to take you out for another climbing trip.
Maybe a trad and anchors class.

San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Must do when visiting Austin!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I were visiting Austin for the first time last March and among food trucks, music venues and bar hopping downtown we wanted something unique to round out our visit.....enter Rock-About. Neither of us had ever climbed before (save for a trip with girl-scouts at age 10) so we were a little anxious to start with an all day outdoor excursion. Luckily we had an amazing instructor 'Bird Dog' who took us through safety training, led us up Enchanted rock with his comedic relief and had an incredible day of climbing in the sun.

We opted for 101 Basic Rock Climbing which was perfect - there are 5-6 different rocks to climb depending on where you end up on the dome, all with varying levels of difficulty from easy to moderate. I really like to push myself physically and ended up with the moderate climbs which were perfect for my first day and felt like I got the most out of it.

I strongly recommend this to locals and visitors alike - it's an incredible experience (even if you're not the most outdoorsy/adventurous type) you will not be disappointed.

Visited March 2012
Rock-About-Inc, Owner at Rock-About Climbing Adventures, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi Kristy

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you and your boyfriend signed up to come climbing with us. It might not be the most traditional thing to do when you're visiting Austin, but it is a fun way to explore the surrounding area. Enchanted Rock is a beautiful place to climb. We want all of our climbers to have a fun, challenging, and rewarding experience. I'm happy to see we hit that nail on the head for you. I appreciate your recommendation. We'd love to take you climbing again the next time you're in town.