“Nice Surprise”

TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest / Arboretum
Ranked #140 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I cashed in a few Marriott Rewards points to stay here one night on my way to Houston. I didn't expect a whole lot for a last minute booking, but this property exceeded my expectations. Property is tucked away on the north side of Arboretum in a very quiet section of this busy metroplex. My small family of 3 booked a room that had 2 bedrooms and one bath - lots of room for us to stretch out and rest. Suite had 3 TVs and a full kitchen - what a pleasant surprise that was! Breakfast was good - lady working the food counter was very nice.

There were a few issues that prevent me from giving 5 stars. Room maintenance issues: there was no light fixture in the bathroom (bare bulb); TV in living room didn't work properly (some channels 'stuck'), when I reported this upon check-in, front desk person came up to my room and said "Yes - it's stuck" and said she was sorry. (Maybe she didn't believe me?). GPS link from Marriott Website took me to neighborhood on the other side of town....

Not a dog person, so I don't have much tolerance for dogs in hotels (much less, barking dogs) - still, it wasn't too bad since my room was at the end of the hall on the top floor. (For the life of me, I have no idea why some people insist of brining their dogs with them to hotels!)

Room Tip: Higher floor are quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark S

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Room backed right up to a nightclub with music blaring all night and the walls are paper thin. If that doesn't bother you then ignore this posting. If you have a family with small children or are a light sleeper then avoid this place. Won't be coming back.

Stayed: May 2014
Misty L, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest / Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Hello Beedapox,

We appreciate your feedback. I would like to apologize for the noise issues you encountered during your stay. The restaraunt next door to us has live music on the weekends during the summer. Your reveiw is a great tool, I can definitely make my guests coming in on weekend trips aware and place them in a different area of the hotel if needed. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to me. My emai address is misty.lack@marriott.com. Thank you!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Enjoyed a short three day stay at this location, which is shorter than is probably typical. The basics worked well: decent, free internet; clean room; good night's sleep (although to be fair, I was exhausted!).

What makes this a five star location was the friendly, helpful staff. I needed shuttle rides to a local business (since I didn't rent a car), and they were awesome. Totally reliable, engaging, and seemed happy to help.

Only drawback was that the breakfast made me sad -- but buffet eggs and meat often do (I confess to a certain pickiness and desire for fresh fruit). I suggest drinking enough coffee to get moving and grabbing a donut at Central Donut or Donut 7.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Traveled to Austin for overnight stay to participate in the 10/20 race. Conflicted because I'm not sure if the pros outweigh the cons. Finding the place was somewhat difficult as there were trees obstructing address, no visible sign, as well as being directly adjacent to another hotel. The kitchenette was immaculate and staff courteous. Furniture was worn (desk chair in desperate need of repair or replacement); discovered to my dismay one of the bath towels had not been freshly laundered. Some sort of construction was going on behind the hotel and workers worked late into the night. Family in room above me were loud and kept up noise until possibly 3:00 a.m. Called front desk around 1:30 a.m. to report as I had early wake up and could not sleep. The room was cold and temperature could not be adjusted. The bed was very clean and comfortable, which was my only saving grace.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Misty L, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest / Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Hello Camelia L!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your recent stay! I apologize for the issues you had during your stay. I am very happy to hear that you did enjoy our kitchenette, beds and our wonderful staff here! I hope you enjoyed the Austin 10/20 race as well. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assitance. Thank you for staying with us and look forwrd to seeing you again!

Truly,
Misty Lack
misty.lack@marriott.com

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Although this is a long-stay property , we stayed here for one night while in town for a wedding.
The hotel appears to be very busy and the parking lot seemed to be full the two times we came in and out. The building and rooms do show some wear, but no problem with cleanliness or anything like that. The one main issue I have with the room is, in my opinion, the most important reason for the place to exist: bedding that allows for a good night's sleep. The mattress was impossibly worn out....some kind of a foam mattress that was long, long overdue for replacement. If a hotel is skimping on this expense, it really leaves a bad memory for any guest. If two people are on a mattress and seem to be rolling toward another, or it just provides no decent support at all, it makes for a long, restless night. If the management or owners read this, PLEASE REGULARLY REPLACE YOUR BEDDING WITH QUALITY MATTRESSES.

Room Tip: When you first make your reservation, you should phone the property directly to see if the bedding...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank findthefairway
Misty L, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Austin Northwest / Arboretum, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Hello findthefairway! Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I truly appreciate the feedback. I understand the importance of a good night's sleep and apologize for the issue you had with your mattress. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me, my email address is misty.lack@marriott.com. We appreciate your business and thanks again!

Truly,
Misty Lack

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed at TownePlace for a business trip
Pros:
1. Great rooms...extremely huge
2. Not very high price
3. Nice courteous staff

Cons:
1. Remote location..absolutely nothing nearby, cannot stay if dont have a car
2. No room service

Room Tip: Lake facing rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel for several nights a week for the last few months. The folks on staff are great--friendly, helpful, and professional. The Northwest Austin location is AWESOME with a Whole Foods within walking distance, tons of shopping and restaurants near-by.
My room is far from elegant but it's fairly comfortable and as clean as can be expected for a long-term stay place that allows pets (and I like that they allow pets!). The bed could be better--it is soft and sags in the middle, and I often wake up with a backache. The closet is a decent size, but it doesn't have a light, so it is hard to see my clothes in there.
The bathroom is very cramped and dark. I'm tall, and the sink is SO low! For a long-term stay, I sure could use more counter space or some shelving, but I can make do. The only mirrors are in the bathroom--one over the sink, and then a full-length one behind the bathroom door, so you have to close the bathroom door to see the full-length mirror.
There is a nice little gym on-site with dumbbells, an elliptical, and two treadmills. The equipment is clean and always works. There is also a really nice pool area, and a grill. The laundry facility is clean but there are only a couple of washers and dryers in there--it's always busy in the evenings and it's too small for the number of people staying there.
The thing about this hotel that is a deal-breaker for me is the NOISE!!! I can hear the folks' talking and televisions in the rooms on either side of me--and I know they're not yelling. I can hear the person above me's footsteps through my earplugs--STOMP, STOMP, STOMP! I have read that this is a problem in these wood-frame hotels. I have asked that they move me to a room on the top floor--I figure that would at least eliminate the noise from above--but they said that it would be a while before one would be available. If that time doesn't come soon, I might have to move on!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, so you don't have to listen to the footsteps of the person who...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business