“Nice people, but overall experience fell short...”

SpringHill Suites Austin South
Ranked #37 of 202 Hotels in Austin
California
“Nice people, but overall experience fell short...”
Reviewed December 9, 2004

My family and I checked in at 5:15am after flight delays. Staff was very friendly, and I scheduled a shuttle to pick up my reserved rental car for 11:30am (because rental car company did not open until after I arrived). Well, I got up at 10:50 to shower and get ready, but the phone rang. It was the shuttle driver waiting for me downstairs. When I met him, he said, "I hope I didn't rush you." I said, "Well, I thought I scheduled the shuttle for 11:30." He didn't answer, but he was really nice. The first full night we were there, a group of high school students checked-in around 11:30 pm and woke us up repeatedly during the night even after complaining to the front desk. (Someone even tried to get into our room during the night.) The following night, they woke us up again though not as many times. We received the first full night free after my husband complained, but problems still happened. One morning my husband went downstairs to get breakfast for us (we had been sleeping in because of the lost sleep on the first few nights), and the lady downstairs approached him in front of other guests and said loudly, "Sir, the breakfast is only for hotel guests." He came back upstairs and told me he had just been insulted. He told me what happened, and I was furious. I convinced him to report the incident, and as a result, they gave us an additional $20.00 discount, stating that they could not give us another night free without manager's consent. The morning we were going to check out, our receipt had been pushed under our door. It was $207.59, considerably less than what we expected, but I assumed it was because of all the trouble we had been through. A few days after returning home, I checked my credit card account online and found that my card had been charged for $275.44. I called the hotel, and the clerk told me that, after printing out another copy of my receipt, the total of the receipt she printed was $275.44. I asked her why my receipt was so much less if that was the real price, and she asked me if I extended my stay (yeah, right!!). I told her no, and she said she could not explain why it was so much more but that the $275.44 was the correct amount. I have complained directly to Marriott and am currently waiting on a response. If all else fails I will have to dispute through my credit card company. My advice is that if you want a pleasant, trouble-free vacation/hotel stay, look elsewhere in Austin.

• Stayed December 2004
4 Thank CaliSoleil
Mara D, Manager at SpringHill Suites Austin South, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I realize that your experience was not up to par, however we appreciate you finding the time to let us know where we can improve. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication downstairs at breakfast, we do our best here at Springhill South to make sure we allow only those purchasing room nights at Springhill to enjoy breakfast. Often times, since we have such a nice breakfast we find people from other hotels like to find their way to our breakfast room creating less room for our actual in house guests. Again, we are so sorry and would never intentionally exclude an in house guest from breakfast.
Since your visit we have developed protocols and trainings to assist with noise complaints. We have also changed quite a bit including: breakfast, workout facility, management, etc. I think you would be pleased with your stay if you gave us a second visit. We would love to have you back to show you what a wonderful hotel we are. Thank you again for taking the time to show us areas of improvement and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2004

This hotel has probably the worst beds I have ever slept in. I think the concrete floor would have been softer. The first night I was so miserable I ended up sleeping on the loveseat in our room curled up in a ball. The next morning I went down and spoke to the lady at the front desk and told her of my situation, I asked if they had any egg crates or something to make the bed more tolerable. She checked with housekeeping and said they would put on an egg crate on the bed. That evening when we came back from dinner they still had not brought the egg crate to my room so I went back down to the front desk and inquired. About 5 minutes later housekeeping showed up at my door and tossed an egg crate in my room in a plastic bag. I had to unmake the bed, put the egg crate on and remake the bed. The continental breakfast is good, but they don't keep it very well stocked. Both mornings we had to ask for the things we wanted. The front desk is helpful in guiding you to area restaurants and be sure to ask them for coupons. We got coupons for a free appetizer and $5 off to Texas Land and Cattle. Overall I would not stay at this hotel again. I was very disappointed in the bed situation and I have written a letter to Marriott but I've heard nothing from them.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I believe we have made some changes since your last visit. I want to personally apologize for the poor service with the egg crate. Since your visit we have changed our bedding structure and have received multiple positive reviews on the comfort of the mattresses. Our breakfast has also changed, now featuring Texas shaped waffles, fresh fuits, boiled and scrambled eggs, cereals, pastries and much more.
We hope that next time you visit Austin you will give us a second chance!