“Not on airport grounds, Suites offer good value, Unattractive Location”

Austin Marriott South
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 11, 2007

Stayed here for two nights on a visit to Austin but we wanted the convenience of an airport hotel due to an early flight out. Hotel is located by the I-35 in a rather unattractive area, next to another hotel.

Booked a suite as it was only $20 more than a room and this turned out to be a very good decision. Suites are spacious with living area, king bedroom and bathroom each closed off in their individual area. There is also a wetbar by the entrance. Two TVs, Bose radio and CD player, large work desk, sofa bed.

The lobby and public areas were well maintained. However the furniture in the suite was in poor condition - a door on the TV cabinet was broken and a couple of lamp shades needed replacement. We were on the I-35 side and there were some noise from the freeway so you may want to ask for a room on the quiet side.

The King bed was very comfortable but the sofa sleeper wasn't so beware if you intend to use it. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We returned our car rental at the airport the day before our departure and the shuttle to and from the airport was on time.

Be aware that this hotel is not really an airport hotel in that it's a 10 minute drive to the airport. However driving to Austin was very easy and fast. Parking was complementary. Overall the suite was a good value and if you need the convenience of an airport shuttle, are not going to spend all your time in downtown Austin, and like a spacious place to relax at the end of the day this may be a good choice.

• Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank jpl88

Reviewed January 13, 2007

We stay in this area when we see family in Austin and have stayed at most other hotels in the area (Omni, Fairfield, Residence Inn, Courtyard, etc.). This is a very comfortable, reasonably-priced, clean place to stay. Very comfotable beds, soft sheets, good a/c, free internet in the business center, good buffet breakfast, underground parking. The staff is very friendly and you can check-out on the TV in the room.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2006

This is not truely an airport property but it is the closest Full service Marriot to the airport. I stayed here for only one night. I do like the free parking and the hotel is easy to navigate.

Typical smalller Marriott, nothign great but nothing bad either. Rooms are fine. If you don't have one facing I-35, the noise is not a factor but you will be looking at a parking lot of the roof of the building. But you don't stay at this type of property for the view.

Food is good, room service is fast too. Not bad expereince, cost was also good.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank TheWoodsTxTraveler
Reviewed August 30, 2006

Nice hotel, close to downtown (10min by car) but still out of the mess of downtown.

I got the room with the concienge facility and I could have access to (free) breakfast, WiFi access and room cable, snacks int he afternoon, a nice meeting room.

Restaurant is reasonable even if not excellent.

Since I'll be in Austin again in near future, I'll be there for sure.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank That_is_me
Reviewed July 25, 2006

Relatively small (4 floors of rooms) but luxurious Marriott with indoor pool and very comfortable rooms. Extremely comfortable bedding and excellent housekeeping. Wonderful staff. Enjoyed the cold Aguas Frescas always available at the front door. $11.95 breakfast buffet was a great deal. Free computers in the business center a nice extra. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Podie
Reviewed April 2, 2006

Just returned from a stay at the Marriott. My stay was wonderful. No complaints at all! The other reviews commented on the distance from other Austin attractions/airport, etc. Since I'm from Texas, I'm used to driving everywhere, so location wasn't an issue. Sixth Street didn't seem very far to me. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. My request for a late checkout was honored - no problem. I was there for a convention, and things ran smoothly. The pool area was beautiful - like a little spa. My husband used the workout room and was pleased with the machines and weights. Everything in the hotel was neat, clean, and tidy. My room was good for business with lots of desk space. I liked the in-room safe. The bathroom was on the small side, but was spotless with nice Bath and Bodyworks products. Now about that bed! I honestly think it was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in! Seriously, after YEARS of hotel travel, this bed wins the comfort prize. If I could have figured out a way to shove the entire bed into my suitcase, I would have!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Ellen B
Reviewed January 20, 2006

My rating of "okay, but some problems" is mainly due to the location of this hotel. Marriott's tagged it as an "airport" hotel, but it's really a full seven miles or so from the airport and also about seven miles from downtown Austin (6th Street, etc.). Thus, it is not a very conveniently located hotel. In fact, it's in an unattractive part of south Austin and all of the views are of an industrial area and a highway.

Having said that, the property itself is well-run and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and the menu in the hotel's restaurant includes a number of locally themed options. All in all, I'd have to give the property itself decent marks, but the location brings its rating down significantly. I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business