“Family Wedding "Headquarters"”

Austin Marriott South
Ranked #19 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We had the pleasure of stay at the marriott South Austin last week for 5 days, 4 nights. Our family needed somewhere to stay since our daughter was getting married in Kyle, Texas, which is just South on 35. The staff was great. We upgraded to a suite and unfortunately had to change to another suite since ours had a 'moldy' smell and I am very sensitive to mold. It was no problem and was promptly handled. I found out later in the day that the mold issue in the first room was being addressed and they would not be assigning the suite to another party. Over a 5 day period, we had a total of 20 room nights from family and guests. All of us were treated very nicely from the front desk staff, to the housecleaners, to the restaurant personnel. The only issue I had was with the restaurant hostess (Mickey, was her name?) and twice she was rude, curt and made me feel like SHE was the guest. As a person who has been in customer service for over 35 years I found her to be NOT Marriott material. She needs to be reassigned to a position where she doesn't work with the public. Also, as a Platinum Elite member, nobody ever 'reminded' me of the concierge floor amenities (I wasn't assigned to the concierge floor, but I had asked to be near my family members and they are not Platinum Elite members, so this could be the reason) and that my family and I were entitled to a restaurant breakfast voucher if the concierge floor wasn't open---thus, I ended up paying for 5 buffet breakfasts without vouchers. When I brought this to the attention of the front desk clerk, she promptly credited my account with the amount. Thank you! The property is a little dated, but still perfectly fine for our needs. There was not a hot tub on the property which disappointed my husband--the website says there is one.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Austin Marriott South and that you found our staff to be very accommodating to you and your wedding guests! Your feedback is greatly appreciated so we know where improvement may be needed. We invite you to stay with us during your next visit to Austin!

There are newer reviews for Austin Marriott South

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed here for leisure, although our goal was a nice restful stay during a swim meet. We had a wonderful suite, perfect size for three of us and room for all of our 'gear'. It was very quiet, clean and well appointed. The room service was very fast and the food was well-priced and very good. The lobby is beautiful, and seems much nicer than your standard Marriott. The staff at the desk went way out of their way to meet our needs.. we would ask for 2 foam pillows, they sent up 4 in about 60 sixty seconds, etc. It's hard to find hotels that 'do it right' on so many aspects of their service but this one certainly does!

Room Tip: I love the 'suites' at this hotel. They have a great homey feel and our daughter can retire...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

The Austin Marriott South is pleased to know that you had a such a wonderful stay with us! Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed the hotel and staff, we greatly appreciate the feedback. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week while my significant other was in Austin for business, and this was m first time not only at this hotel, but in Austin so our positive hotel experience really added to it being my first time there. I thought the staff was extremely helpful. I thought the lobby was really nice too. My check in process was very smooth. Lauren at the front desk gave me all the necessary information about the hotel, as well as suggestions and directions to places outside of the hotel. Throughout my stay whenever I had questions the front desk was extremely helpful. The rooms were nice. Only reason I did not give 5 stars was because of my experience in the restaurant. The service was slow. My check out was great. Lucy was very helpful in setting me up with a cab ride to the airport. Overall great Stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

We are very happy to know that you had such a wonderful stay and found our staff very accommodating! We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you thought about your stay. We look forward to hosting you next time you return to Austin!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I had a business meeting in Austin on my wife's birthday. She joined me and we chose this Marriott and an upscale room. The staff was great and when I asked about how I could get something for my wife they took my idea (flowers) and made certain to obtain and deliver a dozen roses with a Happy Birthday card while I was at my meeting. Great team working at this property and we will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We are so happy we were able to make your wife's birthday extra special! We always enjoy fulfilling any special requests for all of our guests at the hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Austin Marriott South, we will see you when you return!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a Marriott brand hotel. It is close to airport and good for travelers who have some business to do nearby. The room is decent. I like their beds and pillows, very comfortable for a good sleep. The AC is central air, not window type, so it is quieter in the evening. The staff is very friendly. I am the silver reward member of Marriott and stayed in this hotel several times, so they give me the concierge lounge access which is on the fifth floor, even though the service is primarily for gold and above membership. The hotel is not a new one, but maintained well. The restaurant of the hotel provides good food, and good for a group of travelers to hang out. It is near highway so you can go around very easily. Austin has many activities. It is pretty easy to drive into downtown from this location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dawalish
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write us a wonderful review. We are glad that the Austin Marriott South met your needs with ease of accessibility to the airport and major highways. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I signed up for this Hotel for Austin City Limits weekend #2. The decor was nice and upgraded rooms but I felt the rooms were a bit small for the price. It was a huge weekend though and I am sure it was marked up for that particular time. The service was excellent and the staff were very attentive. The hotel offered a shuttle from its location to downtown which was a huge help. Location was uninspiring as it is not near any decent hotspots. If I had to do it over again, would picked more of a central location but this is not a negative reflection of the service, just the location and convenience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during Austin City Limits! We are glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle that drops of at 4th Street and Trinity Street, only 2 blocks away from 6th Street. If you would like to get a ride closer to ACL next time, we will be happy to arrange transportation for you. We welcome you to stay with us when you return to Austin!

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I attended a conference here during the second week of October and it was great . Big enough for the conference and yet not overwhelming . The food was good and served efficiently . The rooms can be a distance from the elevator which was fine for me but maybe something you want to check.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Ashley M, Sales Coordinator at Austin Marriott South, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

We are glad that you enjoyed your recent stay while attending a conference at the Austin Marriott South! Thank you for providing us with valuable feedback. If you ever feel that your room is not close enough to the elevator, please feel free to request a closer room and we will be happy to accommodate your request. We look forward to hosting you during your next visit to Austin!