“Not What It Used To Be...”

Hilton Austin Airport
Ranked #62 of 205 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 12, 2010

This hotel used to be extremely nice with wonderful service! I was a little disappointed this trip. The hotel itself is beautiful. However, the service is lacking. I ordered room service one night & was quoted a 20 minute wait. After 45 minutes & it not arriving, I called the restaurant to check on it & no one would answer the phone. I could see the restaurant from my room window & it was completely empty. So, I called the front desk, I was told that the attendant would check on it & she would call me back. I never received a call. Well, my food finally came. It was overpriced & not good at all. I wasn't even provided a glass of water or bread with my meal. Also, after the first night, I woke in the morning with small bites around my ankles. ??? I left a note to change my linens but after that, I was a little skeptical. On a positive note, the meeting room facilities were great & the catering of the meeting meals were very good. The location is very convenient to the airport, but your only options are to eat at the hotel restaurant or drive a long way to get food.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
AUSAHHF, Director of Sales at Hilton Austin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2010

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hilton Austin Airport. I apologize for your overall room service experience and have visited with our team in reference to your feedback. I am happy to hear you had a positive experience with your catered meeting meals and enjoyed our convenient location to the airport. I do want you to be aware we have a variety of food options available at the hotel with the Creeks Restaurant, Creeks Lounge, Starbucks Cafe, and 24 hour room service. Outside of the hotel we have Subway, Denny's, Waffle House, Sonic and we have the Airport Flyer directly outside our hotel which comes by about every 40 minutes from 6 am to 11 pm (schedule varies) and will get you to downtown in less than 20 minutes for only $2.00 round trip.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed February 25, 2010

My young children and I moved to this hotel after an unpleasant night at another location. This was a very nice hotel. The staff was extremely helpful. The common areas were in excellent shape. Other pluses included extremely comfortable beds and pillows and rooms that were immaculately clean. The flat-panel TV was nice though we did not use it much.

The only real concerns one might have with this hotel is that the rooms, at least the one we stayed in, are extremely small--the smallest I have ever seen. This didn't really bother us since it was one adult and two small children but I could see it being an issue if my wife had accompanied us on our trip. The other drawback is location. This is a great--in fact, THE perfect--location for staying an evening before or after a flight at the airport. However, one should know that with the exception of the airport, there is nothing else near this hotel--no restaurants, shopping, stores, etc. Again, this was not a big issue for us since we had a car and are quite familiar with Austin. We really just wanted a comfortable place to sleep and did not mind driving a few miles. It is also important that folks with cars be aware that there is an 11$ a night fee to park. If you take these considerations into account and they don't impact your travel needs, then this is an excellent hotel to stay out. We woke up refreshed and quite glad that we had opted to stay at this well run hotel.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank fifth5string
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My first impression of this hotel was that it looked like a huge pink birthday cake! The hotel is nice and staff was friendly. The lobby and atrium are very nice and wide open. The rooms are also nice. I did enjoy my stay. However, I was there on business and not the one paying for the hotel. If I was choosing the hotel I would have selected another hotel because this hotel seems to go a little overboard with the nickel and diming. First, and the one thing I hate the most, is hotels that charge for parking. This hotel charges $11 per day for self parking. If it was a parking garage I could understand, but it is just a parking lot. If you need to use the Business Center, that will cost you too. Also, you do not have wireless in your room. If you want Internet in your room it will cost you. Free wireless is available in the atrium… near the bar of course. That’s one way to get you out of your room and down to the bar. I would suggest picking up some soft drinks and bringing them with you. A soft drink costs $2.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This is a very nice Hilton located next to the Austin Airport property. I usually stay on near downtown or on the north side, but with freezing roads possible I decided to stay on the outskirts of town so I would not have transportation problems in the morning. Glad I did, this is a great hotel. The rooms and bathrooms nicely appointed and are roomy enough. Room decoration is warm. The lobby large and welcoming with a central bar and dining room. Check in was efficient and friendly. The rooms had plenty of desk space. The beds were comfortable but the rooms very limited TV channels. Climate Control is acceptable and you can leave the blower motor on for white noise while still using the climate control. Absolutely no noise from the airport this place is well insulated from aircraft.

As a side note, the hotel is built in an old military installation. Really neat....take the time to read the history of the building.

They have a computer in the lobby area for flight crews (key card access) but the business center for the other guests is strictly pay as you go. Lots of flight crew stays at this hotel. There was also a charge for in room internet access, as is typical for Hilton brand. I did not notice if the hotel had a pool. The hotel has a small but well equipped gym with Precor equipment and TV's built on to the equipment. As with other Hilton's breakfast is not included as standard fare, but since I am a Diamond HHonors member they provide breakfast each morning. The only requirement is continental breakfast but the hotel provides a full hot buffet with some made to order items and table wait staff. The breakfast was very good and plentiful.

There is supposed to be a $11 per night parking charge which is a bit annoying how big their lot is, but they never actually charged me for the parking so that was great.

Dining options outside the hotel are very limited. I remember seeing a Mr. Gatis and a Denny's nearby.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2009

This Hilton is not the only culprit in this obnoxious action, but the most recent for me. Hotel and staff were nice but I left this property angry and confirmed that I will not return. $11 for self serve parking for a suburban area (plenty of open space) ; $3 minimum for use of business center computer; 17% forced tip and a $2.50 delivery fee for overpriced room service meals, even if the service was lousy; $13 for a breakfast buffet, no free paper; $2.00 soda in the vending machine. Why do they "nickel and dime" the guests when the room is already over $170/night? How can Holiday Inn Express and others provide comparable lodging and not tack on these fees?

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Great location and service, highly recommend it, Feature and facilities was great. getting into town was a hard but ok via surface roads

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2009

The Hilton Austin Airport is a great hotel for business travelers and large groups. Perfect hotel for a one-night layover from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, especially since they offer complimentary shuttle service. Clean - from the parking lot outside, to the room inside and everywhere in between. This hotel was almost too quiet. It could benefit from subtle music in the atrium area. Because of its location, the hotel is removed from the charm of "keep Austin weird," but it's only a short drive to Congress and Sixth Streets. Hotel was booked through Priceline.com at $45 and was a steal, even with the added parking. Just my luck, the attendent was working.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family