“Not for me”

GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Not for me”
Reviewed May 25, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years. Never have really been a fan.

-Location. If you need an airport hotel, it can't be any closer. However, there is nothing (i.e. restaurants) walkable from the property.

-Building. It's a round hotel and also a former Air Force bunker (or something along those lines). So it kind of has a stuffy feel. Almost a bit creepy. The restaurant and bar are in the middle "atrium" area, however they are short on natural light.

-Rooms. Wierd almost "pie-shaped" rooms because of round hotel. Could be cool, but the design was way off. There is a lot of wasted space and dead space in the rooms. It just doesn't work. The decor isn't particulary fresh. It could use an updating. However, the bedding is very nice and the bathroom is generous in size.

-Staff. They are ok. Have encountered some indefferent employees.

You really have to expererience this hotel - it's hard to describe the odd feel the place gives off. Oh, and prepare to be nickel and dimed!

I would try other airport properties. If you do stay here, request a room with a window facing outside, not the atrium. Otherwise, there is very little natural light available.

• Liked — close location to airport
  • Disliked — creepy!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
Austin
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Are you kidding - why would anyone rate this hotel so high. Terrible restaurant - more like a holiday inn express, worst bartender with no help, one elevator down and they double billed my credit card and now say they don't even show me starying there.

This place is a diaster in the mioddle of nowhere.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank zray5
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 28, 2008

The hotel is beautiful, but I will not stay there again. Why? I didn't like being raped financially. I had to pay to park. Internet access in the room is $10 per day. Breakfast buffet was a whopping and unprecendented $18. I can see where this would be a great place to stay if you're there for one night and flying. But I had a car and many other options right up the road. Never again!

• Liked — Beautiful facility with centrally located bar.
  • Disliked — The extra little charges for everything!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank tiffany976431
Oklahoma City
Reviewed January 26, 2008

First of all, when I booked my stay the staff was extremly courtious. I had been looking at staying at a couple different locations and had several problems and the people did not seem interested in my business. I knew I should have contacted Hilton first, and now I will not stay any other place. The front desk staff was extremly tremendous in helping me check in, get all my luggage up to my room, recomend great restaurants, and answer all of my questions! I had never been to Austin before and didn't know directions or where to go and Jason Grisham at the front desk helped me with all of that! All of the staff that I came into contact with; bell hop, valet, front desk, restaurant, housekeeping, were wonderful! I can not recomend this location enough!!! I wish all hotels were like this!

• Liked — How helpful and wonderful the front desk staff was.
  • Disliked — I can't go there more often!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Wheelock, TX
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We recently stayed here for business and were pleasantly surprised. After reading the reviews, we were not expecting much, but the hotel was very nice. Beautiful open lobby and bar area. We ate lunch in the atrium restaurant and the food was great. Our room was spotlessly clean. Very comfortable beds. It was too cold to use the pool, but the area was pretty and the workout facility was well-equiped. The overall feel/look of the property is Hill Country. Although the hotel is located at the airport, we were not bothered by noise. We are often in Austin for both business and pleasure, and we would definately stay at this Hilton again.

• Liked — Great bed and clean room
  • Disliked — view of the airport
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
California
Reviewed September 16, 2007

We booked this hotel through a Priceline bid of $55/night. We were hoping to get the Omni Southpark but ended up with this hotel. The hotel decor was a nice surprise from the outside look. Upon check-in, we were provided a welcome letter from hotel management giving us a brief history on the hotel of being a former Bergstrom AFB Headquarter and we found it to be quite unique. Parking is $15/night and although it was very close to the airport, there were no free shuttle service.

We were a bit nervous about our stay from the reviews but overall, we had a great stay. Yes, the hotel is far from Downtown but was accessible within a 30 minute drive. We were pre-assigned with a king non-smoking interior room on the 2nd floor so we did not hear any noise from the airport. We were looking for a Dallas Pro Shop and was directed by front desk to the Barton Creek Mall. However, upon getting there, the store is closed for renovations so we got a referral from one of the mall attendants to go to Lakeline Mall in North Austin. That was a bit annoying but the front desk would not have known about the store being closed.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurant but we did see people eating at the cafe and having drinks at the bar located in the middle of the atrium. During our visit, there were people in the hotel but it wasn't too crowded or too dead as noted by another traveller.

The room was a good size and spacious. It could also been the luck of the draw depending on the room location. Yes, we did notice that coming off the elevator, the hall was filled with smoke but it must have travelled from somewhere else as our room was non-smoking and smelled fresh and clean. The window faced into the atrium was great for people watching but with the small amount of guests, it got boring fast. Our bathroom was clean without mold or mildew so that was good. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and I think I like Hilton beds over the Radisson Sleep Number beds. Overall, we had a great stay and would stay here again if only they forego the parking fees.

Stayed September 2007
Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2007

I stayed at this location in Jan 2007 for a conference. While the hotel itself is beautiful, some of the features were not. For instance, the internet. There was free internet service in the bar area, but they charged $10 a day for in-room service. We were even charged when the internet wouldn't work in the room. We were given a 1-800# to call as the hotel is not responsible for the service. Then the parking. We were charged a parking fee per day. When the security parking booth was manned, they charged you again. No receipts given. I was overcharged by the hotel for the conference because they said the rooms were booked (3 months in advance.) Upon checking out, the conference director was upset at my being overcharged and said there were plenty of rooms available. The clerk never offered to lower my rate to the conference rate. I didn't eat the hotel and the pool is located outside and being January, I didn't visit. While the rooms are nice and averaged sized, I would definately stay somewhere else next time there is a conference.

• Liked — On site of Austin-Bergstrom Airport
  • Disliked — Let me count the ways
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business