“Very convenient to downtown”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.
Ranked #156 of 199 Hotels in Austin
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Very convenient to downtown”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

This hotel is very convenient to downtown Austin. It is on the famous Sixth Street with a large number of restaurants and bars in easy walking distance. They are also not far from the Commerce Street bridge with the nightly flight of the bats - definitely a sight to see. The rooms in the hotel are large and comfortable. They have a full-sized kitchen for long term visits. The hotel also has
free wifi. But there are few amenities. My room had no cups or soap. Also the continental breakfast is rather small and they actually ran out of food my first morning there. (They did have food the next day fortunately.) They also had some trouble with my reservation and how they entered my room into the system. Eventually the did fix it.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I truly appreciate your comments regarding our convenient location; however, I do apologize that our amenities did not meet your expectations. I am sorry that our grab-and-go breakfast was not properly stocked during your stay. I will be meeting with my staff to ensure that we are properly re-stocking our breakfast items throughout breakfast hours so that your experience is not repeated. As well, I regret to hear that my front desk staff had trouble processing your reservation, though I am pleased that they were able to resolve it. I will be meeting with them to review our guest reservation procedures. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

I saw what appeared to be black mold underneath the sink, and even though we were on a nonsmoking floor, our entire room smelled like smoke. When we got home, our clothes, luggage, and belongings all reeked of smoke.

The breakfast was also a waste--weak coffee and prepackaged muffins if you get there early enough.

Plus: good location, friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Alexa - Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed our location and friendly staff; however, we are disappointed to hear that your room had a smoke odor and that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. We offer coffee, hot tea, muffins, granola bars, oatmeal, and fresh fruit each morning as a quick option for our guests that do not have time to cook in their fully equipped kitchens. We apologize that this did not leave you satisfied. We will review your feedback with our housekeeping staff to make sure every room smells fresh prior to our guest's arrival.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

The staff at this Extended Stay America could not have been any nicer, nor more helpful--they were outstanding. These personnel had the answer to my every question, the supplies I requested, and knowledge of how to use the wifi. They are top-notch!

This is a super location--right on 6th Street! Several great restaurants, bars, and music available within walking distance, so don't worry about a cab. Everyone in the community was also very kind and accommodating.

Here's the downside: the facilities are old and smell of cigarette smoke, even though it is (now) a non-smoking facility. My room was so contaminated, people could smell the cigarette stench on my clothing the next day! :-( I was expecting the interior to be either fresh and reflect the cool vibe of the city, or harken back to Austin's historic significance, but it was a traditional style from the late-1990s (remember the gold-green-red that was supposed to remind you of Tuscany?). The lobby, hallways and kitchenette in my room were dark and cramped. The "grab and go" breakfast was cup-o-oatmeal and hot water, granola bars, oranges, and poor-quality coffee. The building is oriented toward cars and not walkers--the entrance is around back, and people have to walk across the parking lot to reach the city side-walks.

Unless you really cannot afford another $30-50 to stay just a mile away, go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kate B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, August 12, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I appreciate your kind remarks about our staff and location; however, I regret to hear that you experienced a smoke odor. I will be meeting with my housekeeping and maintenance staff to work to deodorize our hotel. As well, I do apologize that you found our hotel to be outdated and that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback on these issues will be helpful to us as we continually work to improve our hotel. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at dtl2@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

The location of this Hotel is great! Close to all the bars, restaurants, music, and close to the Whole Foods. The apartment is nice, the kitchen is small but has all the necessities (you just have to ask for it at the front desk). The bathroom is a little bit old, but everything worked. The complimentary wifi in the room is great! It is important to say that the housekeeping is only done if you ask for.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a pleasant review. I'm so pleased to read that you appreciated our convenient location. As well, I am glad to read that you liked your room and your fully-equipped kitchen. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Port Norris, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Well, we knew the this was not going to be the Ritz. It was 160 bucks-- which is cheap for 6 th street in Austin. The check in was great. Erika is a sweetheart! Keep her. She gave us a great lunch suggestion (Gloria's) excellent mexican. Also, Clayton was also super helpful with a map and telling us where to go and what to see. Upon entry in the room, our first impression was the rust covered fridge. Kinda yuck. Next the bed cover was grimy, I mean like dirt that has been building. Under that there were clean sheets and we figured we would get through it. A sit on the hopper revealed black mildew under the sink rim. Kinda unpleasant to look at. Honestly,we were skeeved so we didn't even take a shower in the morning. The room was OK. We were right in the middle of 6 th street about 3-4 blocks from "Dirty" Sixth. Honestly, Austin broke my heart. This is just a place where people come to get as drunk as possible. Go to Congress street. Much cooler, quieter and friendlier. I just feel like, OK, 6th street, been there done that. I guess I was 20 years too old.

Room Tip: It is the cheapest place on 6th street. If you get drunk enough, I guess you won't care.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I appreciate your kind comments about our staff and the excellent service you received; however, I do apologize for the unacceptable cleanliness issues in your room and bathroom. Please know that as this hotel's manager, I will be meeting with my housekeeping staff to review cleanliness standards and ensure that your experience is not repeated. Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Please feel free to contact me directly, at dtl2@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

I recently booked a two night stay at this hotel and went somewhere else for the second night. The proximity of the hotel to 6th street is ideal. However the area is not safe. There are homeless people everywhere. One went into an uncontrollable rage while we were in Starbucks which was very frightening. Upon entering the room there was a distinct odor. The carpet was very dirty which I suspect is the source of the odor. In addition, there was a brown liquid stain on the air conditioning unit that had been there for awhile. Since we were only staying 2 days, daily housekeeping was not available to us! If one wants daily housekeeping there is an additional fee for short stays. While in the lobby another guest came down to complain that the trash left in his room by the previous occupants was never cleaned despite having reported it two days ago! I have
to say, however, that the people at the reception desk are very nice. Clayton was especially helpful in pointing out things to visit in the area. However, for 149.00 a night I personally don't think it was worth the money.

Room Tip: Book a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the cleanliness during your stay is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. Please know that I will be meeting with our housekeeping staff to review cleanliness standards and ensure that your experience is not repeated. As well, I am so sorry to hear that you did not feel safe at our location. We work very hard at Extended Stay America to ensure that our guests are safe. Please know that I will be sharing your concerns with our security team to ensure that your experience is not repeated. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at dtl@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Waco, Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I had to warn you about Extended Stay America hotels. I stayed at the one in Mishawaka, Indiana, and it was terrible. The floor was not well vacuumed; housekeeping is once a week; you have to exchange your towels at the front desk; the breakfast is coffee, tea, hot chocolate; apple, orange; nut bar, and Quaker oats you make yourself with hot water. The phone did not work so, instead of fixing it, they just unplugged it. There was a hole in the floor where there probably was a door stop.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay at Extended Stay America Hotels.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple