“Formula One Weekend”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.
Ranked #154 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel was basically the only one that had rooms available on the Formula One weekend. I checked the reviews and they were all on the money. It was not the worst place we've stayed in, but ...
As I said, it was the race weekend, so for fans it was a great location. We did not go there for the race, but we were close to Downtown, restaurants, etc. I asked for a good place to eat breakfast, as the hotel offered Breakfast to Go, but it started later than what we needed. I was recommended a place closeby, but in the end, we decided to go elsewhere.
There is free WiFi, which was perfect for my husband, as he needed to check his business affairs. This was a welcome treat, as other higher priced hotels, do not offer this service for free.
It is in need of a complete renovation inside. The exterior seems to have been renovated recently. Overall, not having had too many other options, this is not a bad choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mammatVancouver
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm glad that that you were able to secure a room at our hotel during the Formula One weekend. I do apologize that our Extended Stay Brand was different than the type of hotel you may be accustomed to stay in, but we are glad that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and the Wi-Fi. We are delighted to inform you that our location will be undergoing a light renovation effective December 6th of this year. The final project will be complete for the end of January 2014.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Overall our stay was pleasant, the front desk staff was very nice, the room was clean and spacious, everything worked well. The biggest reason we chose this hotel was that the location was great, right on 6th within walking distance of bars and restaurants, and the price was about $200 less than other hotels in the area (most of which are 3.5+ stars). Don't expect the Ritz if you're here, there is street noise late at night, the walls aren't super thick, but for the price it's a solid value.

Room Tip: Stay on the side away from the street to avoid late night noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kirby B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Kirby - Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We are so glad to hear that our location and our rate was a great value to you.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I arrived at this hotel after midnight and they were unable to unlock the door to my reserved room. They claimed they didn't have any rooms available and refunded my money, but after an hour of unsuccessfully trying to find a room in a different hotel they finally told me they had a room to give me, and I'd just have to change rooms the next day.

Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep in that room due to noise. Every couple of minutes, some kind of machinery turned on and off on the other side of the wall; I could feel vibrations from it.

On the upside, the location is great.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

I appreciate you taking the to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that there was some confusion with your reservation at the time of your arrival. I discussed your comments with our team and we are looking into alternative ways to provide a timely check-in process during and after our computer audit and back-up.

The staff and I appreciate your comments as it will help us improve the level of service we wish to offer our guests. If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me at dtl@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time your in town.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

GREAT location for downtown business and evening forays on 6th. street and vicinity. That's about all that is great however. Upon entering the room I was greeted by a 3 inch waterbug that casually strolled across the floor and under my bed (or was it his bed?). I got almost no sleep thanks to an insomniac in the room above mine who paced like a caged animal, strated to call the froont desk and complain but (did I mention) the room phone was not working at all - as in dead. Quit being cheap and go with the Radisson or Omni if you want to stay downtown and get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here by all means request a room on the top floor you will sleep better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our location; however, we apologize that the noise level did not allow you a peaceful night of rest and the bug found in your room. We have had our pest control company come in and treat the room. To prevent this from happening again, my team is to ask floor preferences, if available, at the time of check-in.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at dtl2@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide

Reviewed September 19, 2013

When you are not asking the world from your hotel, this place has everything you need without breaking the bank and still making it worth your while. It was right across the street from music venues and restaurants and was still quiet at night to sleep. I can't say a bad thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: Right across the street from most anything and not far from everything!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tom M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Tom - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. We were delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and that our hotel met with all your travel needs and location convenience.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel worked well for us. It was not luxurious, but clean and well kept. We enjoyed having a full kitchen so we could have meals in our room and save 'eating out' as a treat. As Senior citizens, making the travel dollars stretch is good! It was quiet, which is always nice (no rattling carts in the hallways, no sounds of plumbing in the night, which we have experienced elsewhere). The staff were friendly and helpful. It's location worked well, too, as we had low cost places to eat within walking distance and we were close by car to downtown and grocery shopping.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and that you liked your room, especially the kitchen. As well, I am glad that our staff provided you with friendly service and that our location was ideal for your needs.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Centrally located hotel, easy walk to convention centre, near transport. Room was vey comfortable, good wifi availability and handy grab and run breakfast bar. Great if you ar ein town for business or even for a family break.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

George - Thank you for your positive review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our hotel's location and all of the amenities we had to offer were the perfect fit for your needs. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.