“Good location and full kitchen.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.
Ranked #155 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Dedham
“Good location and full kitchen.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel worked well for us. It was not luxurious, but clean and well kept. We enjoyed having a full kitchen so we could have meals in our room and save 'eating out' as a treat. As Senior citizens, making the travel dollars stretch is good! It was quiet, which is always nice (no rattling carts in the hallways, no sounds of plumbing in the night, which we have experienced elsewhere). The staff were friendly and helpful. It's location worked well, too, as we had low cost places to eat within walking distance and we were close by car to downtown and grocery shopping.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and that you liked your room, especially the kitchen. As well, I am glad that our staff provided you with friendly service and that our location was ideal for your needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Centrally located hotel, easy walk to convention centre, near transport. Room was vey comfortable, good wifi availability and handy grab and run breakfast bar. Great if you ar ein town for business or even for a family break.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 6, 2013
George - Thank you for your positive review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our hotel's location and all of the amenities we had to offer were the perfect fit for your needs. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

First off the location is great!! Check in was slow and the hotel was apparently 100% booked the night we stayed in April 2013. I booked off of Priceline before we arrived at the hotel in Austin. I had booked two room and arrived with 3 non smokers. We were given two SMOKING rooms. I asked if we could change at least one of these rooms as the room we got smelt horrible!! The room was disgusting it smelt so bad I had to keep the window open to make it somewhat bearable. I will never stay at this hotel again and will probably never use an Extended Stay America for that matter.

Room Tip: Great place on a budget for a smoker
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 6, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that the only room types available were smoking. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have reviewed your comments with the front desk staff and the housekeeping teams. We will be working very had to ensure that even our smoking rooms have a fresh aroma. Thank you for sharing your experience with us as feedback can only help us improve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dtl@extendedstay.com should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is in a great location downtown, the price is much less expensive than its competition, and there is ample parking for hotel guests.

The room I had smelled so musty I had to take extra allergy medications. The carpeting in both the room and hallways are dingy. While there were several front desk personnel who were competent, one told me I could contact Expedia to modify a reservation via Hotels.com but that turned out to be untrue. In the meantime, I waited literally an hour to speak to Expedia when the call was lost. It took less than 2 minutes to contact someone at Hotels.com. I was absolutely starving and tired so this extra wait was an complete mess.

Unless they update this place, I would rather spend extra money to stay somewhere nicer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Virginia Gardens
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The great location & free parking at this hotel far outweighed the lack of service & real breakfast. And the price was cheap compared with other more full service hotels that charge as much as $25/ day for guests to park there. It is literally a block or two from the 6th street night life. Just far enough away yet close enough that you can pub crawl back home on foot the end of the night. It had a near fully equipped kitchen but no housekeeping service unless you stay a week. The grab & go breakfast was just water & a snack bar to keep something in your tummy till you got to a restaurant. That was ok because we knew it in advance. No pool or social area but you always have 6th street if you want to socialize. No view except nearby construction but again, you can always walk down 6th street if you want sights to see. We had no issues with trash or dirty room. This Extended Stay is far more convenient than the one a little farther south if you expect to be partaking in the 6th street activities. If they don't raise their prices, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the hotel, location, price and comfort. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were in Austin for 1 night and had our dog with us. We were checking in at the front desk by Leslie. She was very nice, attentive and respectable. This hotel is located in a convenient place downtown right on 6th Street. This is good and bad. The good... the location is close to restaurants, parks, state capital, and bars! The bad... the location is close to bars! If you have a room facing the street you will get lots of street noise from loud, drunk, college kids walking between bars. However, there are some great restaurants, sports bars, and parks in the neighborhood too. So you have to decide if the late night noise is worth it to you.
The main reason we selected the hotel was because of the generous pet policy. It was VERY nice to be able to bring our small dog with us. Many other hotels charge 3 or 4 times as much (as Extended Stay America) for their pet fee.
I also felt the room charge was a bit overpriced for what you get. The towels are thin and cheap, the rooms are very basic, the soundproofing isn't that great. For the amount they charge per night, the hotel needs to be a lot nicer. At least have nice linens....

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the parking lot... NOT 6th Street. Otherwise you will have a lot of noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ereynihc
Hi there,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We appreciate the kind comments about the hotel and location; however, we apologize that the noise from the street was bothersome. In response to your feedback, I will be working with the front desk team to monitor any street noise and assist our guests however possible. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at dltl@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you, and your dog, will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Plano, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our recent stay at Extended Stay America – Austin 6th Street was a nightmare. My husband and I booked a room at that hotel during Labor Day Weekend. We knew that was obviously a holiday weekend and it happened to be the same weekend as a college football game, so we booked the room 2 months in advance. We booked 1 room with two queen beds to accommodate our family of four which includes a 5 month old and a 2 year old. We specifically chose this hotel because of the location; we were attending a wedding (including rehearsals) right across the street and the convenient location with 2 young kids seemed like a perfect combination.

We checked in on Saturday at 2:15 p.m. and were told that our room had been given away. They had oversold the hotel and the best they could do was give us two separate rooms with one bed in each room. I explained that it would be horribly inconvenient to have to split our things between two separate rooms. I asked if there were any adjoining rooms and there were none. I asked if there was any way at all we could all be in one room and we were told no. However, they could move us to another Extended Stay America location 6 miles away and that defeated the purpose of being close to the wedding venue. All the other hotels near that area were totally booked because of the football game and holiday weekend, so we reluctantly agreed to the two separate rooms as that was the only way we would have 2 beds. We checked in, unpacked, and I took one child to one room to bathe and have a nap while my husband took the other child to do the same in the other room. That’s when things took a terrible turn.

While my son was sleeping, the room phone rang. It was the front desk clerk, Monica, informing me that my reservation did not have two rooms and that I would need to vacate one room and return the key. I explained to her that, yes, I was keenly aware that our reservation did not have two rooms as I had complained about that to her upon check-in. I also reminded her that it was their idea to put us in two separate rooms; I did not ask for that and, in fact, protested it and had reluctantly accepted it. Monica put me on hold and all I could hear was a series of buttons being pressed, so I hung up.

The phone rang again and this time it was another person whose name I do not recall. She sharply said, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience to you but your reservation was not for two rooms and we need you to vacate one room.” She said it in a way that implied we had done something wrong. I started to explain our situation to her but she cut me off and angrily said, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience but we need you to vacate one room.” I told her that we could not vacate one room as that would mean we would be left with one double bed and someone would have to sleep on the floor. Again all she would say was, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience but we need you to vacate one room.” It felt like being bullied! Finally, I flat out asked her, “Do you want my 5 month old and 2 year old children to sleep on a hotel room floor?” Her cold, forceful response was, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience but we need you to vacate one room.” She was practically scolding me at this point but I would not back down as it was not my fault they oversold the hotel and then chose to give us two rooms.

I told her that I knew the only reason they wanted that room back was because it was a busy weekend and they wanted to sell the room to someone else at a higher price. She could tell I was not going to back down and condescendingly said, “I’ll comp you one night, is that it? If that’s all it is, I’ll comp you a night.” I told her I was now even more insulted as this was not an attempt to gain anything free, but rather an attempt to keep anyone in my family from having to sleep on the floor. I told her I needed to talk to my husband, who was in the other room, and I’d go up to the front desk to talk in person shortly. I scooped up my sleeping child and went to the other room to talk to my husband. I also called corporate customer service only to be told they had already closed for the day and would not open until the following morning. The best I could do was file a complaint and follow up in the morning. I explained that I needed immediate help but was told there was nothing corporate could do at that point. We then discovered that it was a fire code violation to have more than 2 people staying in a room with one bed. So, not only did they want us to give back a room we were clearly using but they wanted to put the lives of my family in danger!

I was ready to go to the front desk and talk to Monica and the other woman who was so incredibly rude to me on the phone. However, in the mix-up of going between two rooms, I accidentally locked us out of one room. My husband went to the front desk to get another key and Monica said to him, “Oh, tell your wife you can stay in both rooms.” My husband replied, “We were not planning on leaving, anyway.”

Around 6:00 a.m. the following morning, I swore I heard someone turning the handle of our hotel room door. I knew it could not be my husband as he had a key. I became startled and called my husband in the next room. He said he looked into the hallway and saw no one. A little later I swore I heard the handle of our room being turned and it really frightened me. I asked my husband to scoop up our sleeping child and move over to my room. An hour went by and this time we both heard the handle being turned. I walked to the door, opened it and saw housekeeping. She said, “Are you not checked out of this room?” I said no and she held a paper up to my face and said, “Well, look at this. The front desk has you checked out of this room today.” I told her we were absolutely not checking out until the following day. My husband was behind me at this point. He said, “We are not checking out of either room. The front desk is mistaken.” He slammed the door shut. I hardly think that our rooms being listed as checking out a day early was a mistake. It’s pretty obvious what happened.

I called corporate customer service and spoke to a very nice girl named Megan. She sounded appalled at what had happened to us and apologized. She also said that she would have the hotel district manager, Susanne Thau, call me. However, she never did. I have not heard back from anyone regarding my complaint. Needless to say, we are completely displeased and will never return to that or any Extended Stay American again.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give you is to choose any other hotel in the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CJAMJA
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The issues and events you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. Please know, I am taking your comments very seriously. In response, I met with the staff, and have reviewed plus trained each team member on the correct procedures as well as etiquette when handling issues with room types and overbooking. As well, I am coaching the staff on how to provide better customer service in the future.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at dtl@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.