“Nice location, no frills hotels that accepts PETS! But a little overpriced.”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.
Ranked #151 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Nice location, no frills hotels that accepts PETS! But a little overpriced.”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were in Austin for 1 night and had our dog with us. We were checking in at the front desk by Leslie. She was very nice, attentive and respectable. This hotel is located in a convenient place downtown right on 6th Street. This is good and bad. The good... the location is close to restaurants, parks, state capital, and bars! The bad... the location is close to bars! If you have a room facing the street you will get lots of street noise from loud, drunk, college kids walking between bars. However, there are some great restaurants, sports bars, and parks in the neighborhood too. So you have to decide if the late night noise is worth it to you.
The main reason we selected the hotel was because of the generous pet policy. It was VERY nice to be able to bring our small dog with us. Many other hotels charge 3 or 4 times as much (as Extended Stay America) for their pet fee.
I also felt the room charge was a bit overpriced for what you get. The towels are thin and cheap, the rooms are very basic, the soundproofing isn't that great. For the amount they charge per night, the hotel needs to be a lot nicer. At least have nice linens....

Room Tip: Pick a room facing the parking lot... NOT 6th Street. Otherwise you will have a lot of noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ereynihc
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hi there,

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We appreciate the kind comments about the hotel and location; however, we apologize that the noise from the street was bothersome. In response to your feedback, I will be working with the front desk team to monitor any street noise and assist our guests however possible. The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at dltl@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you, and your dog, will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our recent stay at Extended Stay America – Austin 6th Street was a nightmare. My husband and I booked a room at that hotel during Labor Day Weekend. We knew that was obviously a holiday weekend and it happened to be the same weekend as a college football game, so we booked the room 2 months in advance. We booked 1 room with two queen beds to accommodate our family of four which includes a 5 month old and a 2 year old. We specifically chose this hotel because of the location; we were attending a wedding (including rehearsals) right across the street and the convenient location with 2 young kids seemed like a perfect combination.

We checked in on Saturday at 2:15 p.m. and were told that our room had been given away. They had oversold the hotel and the best they could do was give us two separate rooms with one bed in each room. I explained that it would be horribly inconvenient to have to split our things between two separate rooms. I asked if there were any adjoining rooms and there were none. I asked if there was any way at all we could all be in one room and we were told no. However, they could move us to another Extended Stay America location 6 miles away and that defeated the purpose of being close to the wedding venue. All the other hotels near that area were totally booked because of the football game and holiday weekend, so we reluctantly agreed to the two separate rooms as that was the only way we would have 2 beds. We checked in, unpacked, and I took one child to one room to bathe and have a nap while my husband took the other child to do the same in the other room. That’s when things took a terrible turn.

While my son was sleeping, the room phone rang. It was the front desk clerk, Monica, informing me that my reservation did not have two rooms and that I would need to vacate one room and return the key. I explained to her that, yes, I was keenly aware that our reservation did not have two rooms as I had complained about that to her upon check-in. I also reminded her that it was their idea to put us in two separate rooms; I did not ask for that and, in fact, protested it and had reluctantly accepted it. Monica put me on hold and all I could hear was a series of buttons being pressed, so I hung up.

The phone rang again and this time it was another person whose name I do not recall. She sharply said, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience to you but your reservation was not for two rooms and we need you to vacate one room.” She said it in a way that implied we had done something wrong. I started to explain our situation to her but she cut me off and angrily said, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience but we need you to vacate one room.” I told her that we could not vacate one room as that would mean we would be left with one double bed and someone would have to sleep on the floor. Again all she would say was, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience but we need you to vacate one room.” It felt like being bullied! Finally, I flat out asked her, “Do you want my 5 month old and 2 year old children to sleep on a hotel room floor?” Her cold, forceful response was, “I’m very sorry for this inconvenience but we need you to vacate one room.” She was practically scolding me at this point but I would not back down as it was not my fault they oversold the hotel and then chose to give us two rooms.

I told her that I knew the only reason they wanted that room back was because it was a busy weekend and they wanted to sell the room to someone else at a higher price. She could tell I was not going to back down and condescendingly said, “I’ll comp you one night, is that it? If that’s all it is, I’ll comp you a night.” I told her I was now even more insulted as this was not an attempt to gain anything free, but rather an attempt to keep anyone in my family from having to sleep on the floor. I told her I needed to talk to my husband, who was in the other room, and I’d go up to the front desk to talk in person shortly. I scooped up my sleeping child and went to the other room to talk to my husband. I also called corporate customer service only to be told they had already closed for the day and would not open until the following morning. The best I could do was file a complaint and follow up in the morning. I explained that I needed immediate help but was told there was nothing corporate could do at that point. We then discovered that it was a fire code violation to have more than 2 people staying in a room with one bed. So, not only did they want us to give back a room we were clearly using but they wanted to put the lives of my family in danger!

I was ready to go to the front desk and talk to Monica and the other woman who was so incredibly rude to me on the phone. However, in the mix-up of going between two rooms, I accidentally locked us out of one room. My husband went to the front desk to get another key and Monica said to him, “Oh, tell your wife you can stay in both rooms.” My husband replied, “We were not planning on leaving, anyway.”

Around 6:00 a.m. the following morning, I swore I heard someone turning the handle of our hotel room door. I knew it could not be my husband as he had a key. I became startled and called my husband in the next room. He said he looked into the hallway and saw no one. A little later I swore I heard the handle of our room being turned and it really frightened me. I asked my husband to scoop up our sleeping child and move over to my room. An hour went by and this time we both heard the handle being turned. I walked to the door, opened it and saw housekeeping. She said, “Are you not checked out of this room?” I said no and she held a paper up to my face and said, “Well, look at this. The front desk has you checked out of this room today.” I told her we were absolutely not checking out until the following day. My husband was behind me at this point. He said, “We are not checking out of either room. The front desk is mistaken.” He slammed the door shut. I hardly think that our rooms being listed as checking out a day early was a mistake. It’s pretty obvious what happened.

I called corporate customer service and spoke to a very nice girl named Megan. She sounded appalled at what had happened to us and apologized. She also said that she would have the hotel district manager, Susanne Thau, call me. However, she never did. I have not heard back from anyone regarding my complaint. Needless to say, we are completely displeased and will never return to that or any Extended Stay American again.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give you is to choose any other hotel in the area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CJAMJA
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The issues and events you described are unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. Please know, I am taking your comments very seriously. In response, I met with the staff, and have reviewed plus trained each team member on the correct procedures as well as etiquette when handling issues with room types and overbooking. As well, I am coaching the staff on how to provide better customer service in the future.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at dtl@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Sour Lake, Texas
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This place was in a great location. We could walk just about any place downtown. They were painting the outside which made for an unpleasant entry and exit. Trash everywhere outside including caps, cans, paper etc. skip this hotel for a couple months. Room was dingy and carpets were stained and dirty. We will head on down the road next time we are in austin

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Janice0826
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. Please know that we are sincerely sorry for the unpleasant hotel conditions you experienced. While I am pleased to inform you that we will be under going interior renovations in the next few months, I understand that is no excuse for the cleanliness issues you experienced. I will be sharing your comments with my team and addressing each situation you mentioned. Thank you again for your feedback and if there is anything else you would like to bring to my attention, please reach out to me at dtl@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Vista, California
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Originally had reservations at another ESA hotel, but the day of our arrival in Austin the Manager called me and said they were having plumbing problems and would we mind staying in the Downtown location. Sure. No problem. We stayed here on a Friday and then again the following Monday. Two different rooms, both kings. Rooms were clean, albeit a little old. On our Monday night stay the clorox odor in the room was so strong we had to leave the door open until it dissipated. We would have used the bathroom fan, but as far as I can tell, none of their bathrooms have one! Beds were OK, AC worked, room was cheap enough. Won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Convenient to downtown. I didn't hate it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. Please accept our apologies that your original reservation had been moved to our location. Still, we are pleased to know that you were content with the location and the accommodations, except for the strong Clorox odor in the second room. Thank you again for posting your review, we will use your feedback to continually improve our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.
Cleveland, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The location was great, right in the middle of downtown, parking was excellent, staff was friendly, but the room seemed a bit old and the carpet was grungy. The air conditioner was Cold which was super, the kitchen was nice- frig was big, micro clean, but the tub was small, shower curtain yucky and shower head was horrible. Would consider staying here again but probably not. Loud footsteps above us until after 200am, and noise in the hallway. What breakfast???

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our location, the parking and the staff; however, we apologize that the room had a grungy carpet and loud guests above you during the night. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will be undergoing renovations in the near future, so that will help with the room appearance and feel. We will remind our staff to ensure that guests returning from a night of festivities will be a little less noisy so that they do not disturb other guests. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dtl@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Not only was a staff very rude and overzealous to tow cars in there parking lot And completely pissed off a new guest that had just arrived. But the rooms were very dirty and smelled like cigarettes along with dirty sheets and cigarette burns on the bed and carpet and stains everywhere. I will go as far saying that out of my hotel experience for the price we paid for this place it was totally not worth it and I would've rather stayed in a Days Inn

• Stayed August 2013
San Angelo, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We attended a concert on 6th Street and this hotel was right across from the venue. Walking distance to everything downtown.
The room was a little run down but it had everything we needed. The staff was super friendly but I was disappointed it did not have a swimming pool and the selection for the Grab n Go Breakfast was limited. No Juice or milk. Please the vending machine took my money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hi Corina,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It was disheartening to read that we were unable to accommodate your pool request; however, I am so pleased that we were able to make your stay a pleasant one due to the friendliness of my staff and the location of our hotel. We will certainly check the vending machine to ensure it is operating correctly; thank you for bringing this to our attention. It was great to hear from you and we would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.