“great place downtown”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St.
Ranked #151 of 203 Hotels in Austin
new orleans
“great place downtown”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I hate writing this for fear of this place booking and not having a room available when I need it again. Seriously, this is a great location, right on 6th Street but far enough away from the madness. It is a budget hotel meaning no maid service unless your stay extends a week, which is great if you like to sleep late. You do have to exchange your towels at the front desk but I found each and every time the staff were friendly and always available. Nothing bugs me more than standing at a hotel counter waiting for someone to show up. This is my second stay there and I am always amazed how quiet the place is. I was on the top floor so I didn't have anyone walking above me but I never heard anything in the hallways either. The rooms are nicely sized equiped with a kitchen area, a bed and a nice easy chair for tv watching. The room was very clean, the bathroom was very clean but the tub looked old and worn with mildew stains between some of the tiles in the shower. Plenty of hot water any time of the day and lots of water pressure. I would recommend this place and it is my first go to place when in Austin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

With 4 to a room it still seemed very spacious. Nice to have a small kitchen to prepare some breakfast (as the hotel breakfast is somewhat limited to muffins and cereal bars).

The location is great and we could walk everywhere from there so didn't need the car for the day. Staff were friendly and the room was very clean. Even though it was on the ground floor right by the road it wasn't noisy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, November 7, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Austin - Downtown - 6th St.. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. As you know, our unique suites are designed with you in mind. Offering amenities like a full refrigerator, stovetop, in-room wifi access, personalized voicemail, and on-premise laundry in exceptionally priced rooms has led us to be the premier extended stay option in the industry. And with guests like you, we will continue to thrive. It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed in room 211 for 2 nights and found our stay to be a fairly good and standard hotel experience with a few minor snags that were not entirely the fault of the hotel.

The room was a good size, with a nice large bed, ample space for suitcases and lots of furniture - big side tables, a work desk, a large TV stand. Iron and ironing board were provided as well. The kitchenette was well equipped and also a good size - meaning that one enjoy a lengthy stay in this room without feeling too cooped up. The only drawback was that there were no extra blankets in the room, and when we called for some more - a sudden cold front had arrived - they explained that they had run out.

The bathroom was also big - nothing memorable about it, but had everything one would expect.

The hotel venue was very well located in the heart of downtown Austin - within walking distance to several bars and restaurants and an amazing Whole Foods - to compliment the kitchen in your room.

Parking was ample and free.

The positive aspects include some of the standard Extended Stay America features such as an ordered cleaning service - it is not standard, but if you request it, they charge you $5 for it. (7 day stays get one free service a week) - I think this is a great idea. If one needs any items replaced (coffee, soap, washing up liquid), one just asks at reception. I have always found a daily cleaning service a bit of an intrusion and a waste of resources.

The negative aspects were a little out of the hotels control - the staff at this hotel seemed a little inexperienced and young. Because of this fact they seemed a little unsure about things - when we asked for a kettle to boil some water, they gave us a pot. When we asked for extra blankets, they said they had run out - a hotel running out of blankets shows little foresight.

The most unpleasant aspect of the hotel and one which did detract quite a lot from what was otherwise an agreeable stay were the noise levels - from the street as well as inside the hotel. We were constantly bothered by the sounds of those walking in the room above us - and to make matters worse - my wife saw several frat boys arriving with cases of beer and our last night involved huge amounts of noise from upstairs - slamming doors, loud talking and chanting 'chug chug chug', running up and down the staircase until 3/4am. Not great.

To conclude this Extended Stay America is great for just that. I don't think they are attempting to be a luxury, all-the-frills hotel and that is the their strength, but also their weakness. For what they offer, their price could be lower, but you are ideally located in the heart of Austin, so it gets the job done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Austin - Downtown - 6th St.. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.
It is my pleasure to provide an explanation regarding the issue you described. Every part of our hotel, from the in-room features, to the design of our guest corridors, to the personalized voicemail, is an integral part to creating a "home away from home" experience for our guests. Since we recognize that a quiet, relaxing environment is critical to this goal, we have several systems to ensure that noise from within or outside the hotel doesn't interfere with your stay. Although rare, there are instances where a guest may hear noises from the surrounding area. Whenever we are informed of such disturbances, our standard operating procedure is to promptly identify the source of that disturbance and resolve it. I take full responsibility that we were unable to resolve this situation to your satisfaction during your stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great location in Austin, close to everything but at the quieter end of 6th street. Good size rooms nice and clean with great little kitchens. Staff very helpful on frontdesk who will advise on all local amenities.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was the third time I have stayed here, and I have had no reason for any real complaint on any occasion. The location, room size, free wifi, and free parking make this excellent value for money. The rooms are well-equiped, with a large fride with freezer, hob, microwave and coffee-maker. Good firm bed, work-desk, and a flat screen TV.
I do think that the hotel will need a refurbishment boost in a year or so, and the performance and ability of front desk staff can vary, but I'd have no qualms about returning here for a fourth visit, indeed it shall likely be my first choice next time I plan a visit to Austin.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WhiteBuffalo13
RDOAustin, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, October 12, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Austin - Downtown - 6th St.. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for the recognition. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We paid for a one night stay on a Saturday night and we were robbed of our money. The lady working at the front and rent-a-security guard on duty that same night evicted my boyfriend and I. We planned on staying at that hotel because it is near another hotel where we visited some friends. Apparently, their security guard claimed that we were running down the halls banging on walls and being obnoxiously loud. We were told to leave within 20 minutes of just getting back from seeing friends. We were accused falsely and discriminated just because we are in our 20's. They also denied us of extra pillows, which we asked for several times. It was a huge inconvenience to find another hotel so late at night. We asked for a reimbursement, however; were denied. So we filed a claim to our bank, won the claim, and rightfully got our full amount back. I would never recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - 6th St., responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We appreciate you writing a review about your stay at our hotel. The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings for all of our guests. It is disheartening to know that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Our hotel is located in an area which allows our guests access to local nightlife. With your interest in mind, we have a Security Guard who patrols our property from 10pm - 6am on Friday and Saturday nights. One of the Security Guard's responsibilities is to ensure that guests returning to the hotel respect other guests and also the hotel staff. If we find that this is not happening, guests are given three warnings to gain control or be asked to leave the hotel. It was with great saddness, after many guest complaints and three warnings, that we requested you leave the premises; not because of your age.

Please know, we are always excited to have guests of all ages stay with us at our hotel. It is our hope that we can all learn from this experience and move forward, having you stay with us again or at any of our other brand locations throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Birmingham
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed here overnight to explore Austin on our way to San Antonio. Easy to find and plenty of parking considering it is downtown. The rooms were clean, good standard and very well equipped with cooker, fridge and microwave. Staff were helpful too, the guidebooks give you the ideas but the staff give you the best tips. We were able to walk to the Capitol, well worth a visit and then we walked all the way down to SoCo, great laid back bars and restaurants. We ate on 6th St where all the entertainment is and next day visited Zilker Botanical Gardens, again a nice place to go for a few dollars. If you are staying in Austin and using a SatNav, this is easy to find and no hassle. We booked through Hotels,com off a smart phone the day before and paid $90, not the cheapest but for a city location I think good value.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the car park will be quieter than those facing the main road.