“Wonderful!”

Ranked #29 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Great hotel. The check in clerk offered us a choice of floors and went out of her way to be helpful. The lobby is very nice and 2 newspapers were available for free.

The room is contemporary and very well laid out. There was a small sitting room with desk, kitchenette and small fridge. There is also a coffee maker with coffee and tea.

The bathroom has granite counters with a closet on one side and the shower on the other. Towels are placed on a rack at the back of the shower which is great for getting to. Toothpaste, 2 soaps, shampoo and conditioner are provided.

The bed is pillow top with 4 comfortable pillows.

The room was very clean, smelled nice and I wasn't worried about walking barefoot. It is located on the Houston side of Austin and minutes from UT.

A security guard was in the parking lot when we returned around 11 pm.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angie H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 16, 2011

When I was preparing my bed getting ready to sleep, I discovered that the bed linens had not been changed. The sheets were soiled and covered with many pieces of hair. I asked the front desk to change my room and was given a new room. Upon going to bed in the new room, I found that the mattress was the most broken down, sunken in, old and poor quality mattress that I have seen in any hotel in memory. It was late enough then that I did not want to change rooms again, but I spent a miserable night sleepless on this poor mattress. I suggest that this hotel be avoided at all costs. It does not live up to standards that you would expect from the Hyatt name and for which they charge. Note, the breakfast is also forgetable. Shortly after checking in, I asked the front desk for a second chair as there were two of us that wanted to sit at the small desk but only one chair. The desk said they would bring up a chair but never did. I finally went down to the lobby and picked up a chair from the lounge myself to bring to the room - a chair which I found was filthy with sticky greasy food along the bottom of the chair pad left from other guests and never cleaned.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Houston, TX
Reviewed November 9, 2011

This hotel is on Highway 35, but off the highway enough to be quiet, and just minutes away from downtown and the Arboretum. The room was nice, decorated in a contemporary style. The bed was comfortable, and had a large couch, bar area with sink, microwave, and refrigerator, and a desk...perfect for the business traveler. The large flatscreen TV even had a panel with just about every input you could imagine, so you can hook up your computer, DVD player, or other device. The one complaint is we didn't realize breakfast ended at 9:30 am, and then the food (and coffee) disappeared within seconds.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, TX
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I travel to Austin for Longhorn football games and this was my first time trying this hotel since my usual was booked. First impressions of the hotel were very good. Nice lit up parking lot; traveling as a single woman this is a must! The staff was very friendly and the hotel looked and smelled clean. Got to my room and generally was very happy with it. Until I opened the refrigerator to store some beverages I had picked up on my way from the airport. Opened it up and immediately a musty smell came out; I pulled out my Clorox wipes and cleaned it out before putting my beverages in the refrigerator (Side not the refrigerator stayed cold). I then proceeded in to the rest of the room and checked out the tub. There was mold in the grout and mold on the caulking, knowing (thank you MSN travel) how maids clean tubs I wiped that surface down too! I was able to remove some mold but not the stuff that has turned that black color. The air conditioning wasn't on when I entered the room and I had to turn that on. After I turned it on that once it didn't come on again and four hours later I woke up hot! I tried moving the knob to colder setting for the temperature but the air didn't turn on. I had to turn the air off and then back on.
The bed was too firm for my liking and the pillows may look fluffy but those suckers when flatter than a pancake once your head rested on them. I used every pillow in that room!
The second night I had the same problem with the air conditioning and was awoken several times by the lack of cool air.
I didn't have a chance to say anything to the management which is why I am not rating this hotel low because I didn't have the time to let them do whatever it was they could have done to assist.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TXPolitico
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I recently stayed for a single night here and found my room to be a bit tired and dingy. It looks like they did their best to refresh what appeared to be an older hotel with moderate success. Unfortunately the sink and bath areas showed signs of the previous occupant (strands of hair and a hair tie), but I figured this was just an oversight by the housekeeping. The AC Unit is RIGHT next to the bed and it was a battle to get it 'just right' -- loud and circulated air directly a my head.

Complimentary breakfast the next day was interesting -- when I asked for them to replace the oatmeal (as it was nearly out), they assured me it was on the way. As it was taking longer than expected, the desk clerk offered to make a bowl of instant, which was no problem, except that I'm pretty sure this was his first attempt doing so. I got a soupy bowl worth, which I mixed with some from the thick, bottom of the almost-empty barrel. Between the two, I got nearly what I wanted. The fruit looked tired as well and didn't taste all that fresh.

The staff is enthusiastic and friendly but despite their best efforts, sort of fell short in the quality department. I normally have great experiences with Hyatts (and recently had a GREAT experience at a Sierra in WA) but I would probably choose another over this one when I return to Austin.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sailor279
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2011

we enjoyed are stay. was hard to find it sit back of the hwy some.

Room Tip: the rooms where large and very nice. it was very clean. staff was very nice and helpful. we did not...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The most important item in any hotel stay is the quality of the bed. I was very pleased with the bed quality and I found it to be very clean and completely comfortable. As is often the case in Texas, the air conditioning is necessary at night so one almost has to keep the room cold and cuddle up under mounds of bedding - this was no exception. I found the air conditioning also provided "white noise" so I didn't hear much else. I will also note that usually, I have a very bad time sleeping at a hotel the first night. I was only here one night so I expected a bad night. I was surprised to find that I was able to sleep through the night and wake refreshed naturally in the morning. So the comfort of the bed earns this hotel a good recommendation from me.

When I read some of the other reviews about the hotel location, that sent my mind racing and I wondered what I was in for. Let me say that the hotel isn't any harder to get to than any other in Texas just because they lay out the roads the way they do. Texas is very frustrating for drivers from other states because they have frontage roads everywhere and the whole state is oriented to car travel. Therefore, I will say that the hotel was not that hard to find and it was in an acceptable location. I would not have been concerned about having to go to the car at night.

The staff was some of the friendliest I have ever seen. Sharp, helpful and very astute. The service here is excellent.

The room itself was nicely laid out and I have to give this hotel credit - they have HD TV's and they actually have HD service on the channels. Not all hotels do that and it drives me nuts. Whenever I can find a hotel that offers flawless television and everything works electronically, that impresses me.

The one thing that I will mention which may be a concern to some folks is the loud noise when the toilet is flushed. My toilet ran a bit and I had to become "the plumber" to reach inside the tank and adjust the little seal on the bottom of the tank. Easy enough, but I was not impressed with the cheap quality of the device and I could easily see where someone could have this problem happen to them. Mine was not serious and I did not report it to management - yet. However, a slight adjustment will probably fix it if anyone else has the problem. Or just call management. I hate to call them out if it is something I would do at home myself anyway.

So the bottom line is that if you are going to be in Austin on business and are considering the Hyatt Place North Central, rest assured it is ready for business and is well kept and excellent for business travel. I would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: I am not sure there is any particular difference in the rooms at the hotel. I had a higher floor ro...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business