“Trendy Burger Joint”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

The hamburger was definitely a good burger; big meat patty, juicy, and very tasty. Trendy atmosphere that fits well with with South Congress scene. The French fries were fresh and I enjoyed every last one. I would return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,600)

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Strange concept for eating out - people wait in line to order and the servers reserve them a table as they wait. Nice work if you can get it - cudos to owners for succeeding at this. Most of the tables are "family style" as well.

I saw an opening at the bar and took two seats. I'm glad I was early enough to sit there with no wait since the food was just so-so.

OK, so I didn't get a beef burger and this is what this place is all about, but the Ahi Tuna burger was a big let down. Our friendly server at the bar recommended it rare and I agreed that's the way to serve tuna but I asked if they sear it and she said yes. It came out simply rare and not very warm (it appeared that it had been frozen recently). The sauce on it was sweet/savory - a disturbing but popular trend I'm sure. It also fell apart as I ate it. I couldn't finish it.

On the other hand the Turkey burger rocked! Very moist. I would never order turkey but my wife got the better order on this round. If you don't want a beef/burger check this out. But I wish I had gotten a regular burger.

Service at the bar was great and "The Mighty Mule" is an excellent idea for a drink if you tire of the sweet cocktail craze. Vodka, Maine Root Ginger Beer and lime. Very refreshing. Beer on tap menu is also good.

Quiet a scene if you're into that. Fun place.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Let me start by saying... I loved the food! The burger was up to the hype. The fries were some of the best I've ever eaten. Light, crispy, and full of flavor. That alone would have a 5/5 rating from me. But, there's some things that wasn't great. Being the "best" in a town of this size brings a new set of problems. Expect to wait... doesn't matter when you go. The atmosphere is more like cattle being shuffled around than a great eating experience. For the price, I expect a little more than feeling like I'm trying to eat a burger on the floor of the NYSE. Way too busy. Too loud. I will go again. But this time my wife and I will try texting each other at the table instead of trying to carry on a conversation.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We ate here our first night in Austin and it was absolutely wonderful. There was a decent line coming out of the door but it wasn't that long of a wait, and it was totally worth it.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

An Austin local suggested that we visit HopDoddy - what a fantastic suggestion.

We had been craving a good juicy hamburger and this was it. They have a very interesting system, you wait in line, when a table is empty and available, the table is assigned to the family next in line and then your order is taken.

We had 3 types of hamburgers, all we're great.

One of the unique features of HopDoddy is that all ingredients are obtained naturally from surrounding local fams and suppliers. While you wait in line, you see the action in the clean kitchen - also, there is a butcher prepaing meet in a glassed separate room for those interested in proof ...

But, a small suggestion to an otherwise perfect lunch: the Cabernet was from Sonoma??? Come on guys, have nothing against Californian wines but when everything is from Austin area, why not just offer wines from the surrounding Hill Country ;-)

People are very friendly, the bartender, order taker, and waitresses - thank you ...