“FUN in So.Congress”

Hopdoddy
Ranked #15 of 3,699 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin, Texas
“FUN in So.Congress”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Loved this place!! Hamburgers are outstanding and drinks are delish! Definitely a must if your are visiting Austin!

Visited June 2012

• Korean first
Olympia, Washington
“Great Concept; Excellent Burgers”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Standing in line waiting to order a burger is improved significantly with a craft pilsner (or beverage of choice) in hand, which is how things are done at Hopdoddy. There are elbow height tables to put you beer on, and time to thoroughly read the limited but interesting menu of burgers and salads.

This is a burger place. If you want something other than a burger and/or salad, go elsewhere.

As you reach the front of the line a table is assigned by number. You then order and find your table. Your order comes to you when it is ready. Several reviews mentioned indifferent service. From the time I sat down until I left, a relaxed stream of attractive young people with warm smiles filed by my table to be sure I had everything I needed. One took my stub to validate my parking; another hustled the extra onions I’d ordered but did not come with my burger, another smile was right there when I was ready for a second beer. Aside from not getting the onions right the first time, the service could not have been better.

I persist in the notion a burger place worth it’s salt ought to offer relish at least as a option, but even without it, once the extra onions showed up, this was an excellent burger. I ordered medium, and it was perhaps on the rare side of that, the standard for ground beef being different, in my opinion, than for solid meats, but it was still terrific. Like nearly any good burger it is impossible put it down once you’re half way through without reassembly being required, but with a roll of paper towels at each table, this presents no problem. The skin-on fries were as good as fries get.

A $5 draft in a burger place seems a bit high, particularly since I doubt the chilled, stemmed, margarita style beer glass held a full pint… then again it went down very smoothly so I can’t be sure. Food prices seemed good value.

The style; the loud, lively, happy atmosphere; the food; all of it made this as good a burger place as I can recall. As a burger lover, Hopdoddy will an early stop, when I make it back to Austin.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank SkykomishBob
Austin, Texas
“Best Burgers”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I don't eat meat often, but when I do I go to HopDoddy's! Burgers are quality meat and fresh baked buns. It gets crowded at meal times so go early. Definitely an Austin "must".

Visited May 2012
“Great hamburgers”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We tried to get in one day but the line was too long and the heat too intense. So we made a point to go back --- I'm glad we did. Great hamburger place. Highly recommend!!

• Visited May 2012
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Amazing food, really disappointing service.”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Our first night in Austin and we met friends there. Instead of greeting us, our waitress wanted to know who told us we could pull two tables together (the person who seated us) and then proceeded to lecture us on the correct way to order. Finally my husband observed that clearly we were too stupid to eat there.
Once that was cleared up, we placed our order. We were given the wrong burgers, which didn't seem to bother our server at all when she finally came to ask how everything was.
Regardless of the poor service, we found the food and atmosphere to be wonderful and now that we know the routine, we will return there when we are in Austin.

• Visited May 2012