“Great Place with Really Good Food”
Review of Justine's 1937

Justine's 1937
Ranked #284 of 3,754 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Austin, Texas
“Great Place with Really Good Food”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I'd heard so many good things about Justine's, and today I finally got a chance to check it out. I went with my wife for a date night, and I wasn't disappointed. We arrived shortly before they opened at 6, and there were already several parties waiting to get in. We opted to sit inside, but it was a beautiful early fall night in Austin and most people elected to sit outside. Their outside space is incredible, very nicely arranged and with lots of space. There is a boule court and a stage for bands.

Inside it's very romantic as well, lots of French memorabilia adorning the walls and a rustic French theme throughout. Our service was really great, very attentive but also aware of our conversation and totally non-intrusive. I'd read some prior reviews about "snobbish" wait staff and host/hostesses, but I didn't see that at all. I was in a t-shirt and shorts and lots of people were in "keep Austin weird" attire, and everyone was welcomed and treated well as far as I could see.

The food was very good. It wasn't the best meal I've had it Austin (and that's not a snub, considering all the great restaurants in Austin), but everything was tasty and well-prepared. The bread that came before the meal was perfect, and my wife and I both enjoyed all our courses. I started with the French Onion Soup, which was very good, and then had the mussels which were also very flavorful. The frites were probably the best thing I had, especially with the home-made dijon aioli. My wife had a salad to start which she really enjoyed (especially the beets), and a daily special kale pasta which she thought was decent but not great. We were both too full to try a dessert.

The food at Justine's is very good, but the ambiance, the service and the space are what really make it an Austin treasure. It's definitely one of the more romantic spots in Austin, but also great for a family or group of friends dinner. I'm already looking forward to my next meal here.

• Visited September 2013

Jonesboro, Arkansas
“Unless you're a fish, eat inside.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We three showed up on a Thursday night with no reservation. Either wait 45 minutes to eat inside with a/c and very noisy bar crowd, or eat outside with temp of 95. We ate outside, sun going down, but still hot. I sweated; my wife sweated, or "glowed," and she felt as slimy as a fish by the time we left. Our grown son in t-shirt did not sweat.
The flies outside which kept dive-bombing our plates did not appear to be sweating. Hard to tell, they're so tiny. The waitress was puzzled why I kept a paper napkin covering my silverware and food plate. Hey, I just don't like little fly feet treading all over my food.
This place is located on east side of Austin in an industrial/warehouse district. So they don't need a parking lot. The whole street is deserted at night, so customers park curbside. Restaurant is a converted house, big bar inside, crowded with little tables, some wall pictures of the presumably notorious "Justine," probably a Parisian entertainer or lady of the night famous a century ago.
Food and service is first class. All the workers and most of the customers are very pretty people. Some servers wear outfits hinting of Parisian restaurants.
All French-named appetizers, entrees, and desserts have distinctive and tasty ingredients. Server can advise about a wine to go with your meal.
Chef's Specials menu apparently changes daily.
We had the mushroom salad, duck sausage, and the "Royale with Cheese," a huge 1/3 pound Angus-beef hamburger with tasty fries (frites) and yummy housemade mayonnaise butter.
Most expensive hamburger I've ever had--$16. Good, but I don't care how Frenchy the ingredients are, that's still a bit much for a hamburger.
We ate every bite and licked every drop of sauce.
We enjoyed the dessert of meringue in pistachio cream with candied orange rind.
All in all, an interesting diversion. Great food. Only reason Justine's does not score a 5 is the pesky flies. The helpers did provide a scented fan. Thanks. But we still glowed in the heat.

• Visited August 2013
“Paris in east Austin”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have heard about the wait but luckily on a hotish, summer Thursday evening at 7, we had one of the best French meals I have tasted stateside. The saumon cru was divine, as were our main courses: loup de mer and duck confit. I'd like to go back and try some of the other things on the menu (or go with a larger group so as to taste!). It must have been a nice night to go because we stayed until after 10 and sat outside chatting and having espresso martinis after dinner for some time.

Try it, you won't be disappointed

• Visited July 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Comfort food French style”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was told about this place and I took a long stroll to check this place out. I happened to be there 5 minutes before they opened for dinner. I saw diners waiting inside their parked cars. OK, I am having dinner here, for sure. Once the door was opened, 7 or 8 people got seated right away and diners kept on coming. It took no time to fill the tables.

Atmosphere was great. Food was excellent. The best part was that there was nothing pretentious about this place.

Visited May 2013
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Wonderful food and great atmosphere. Service is a bit uneven and can be quite crowded with a long wait at times.

The Steak au Poivre, Scallops and charcuterie plate were delicious. It took a while for the servers to figure out who had our treble but once they got it worked out

When the weather permits (summer in Austin can be quite hot) the outdoor seating surrounded by trees and outdoor games is lovely. Inside can be quite noisy.

• Visited July 2013